Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How to Find a Car in Inventory

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/14, 03:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to Find a Car in Inventory

Is there a way to find out if a certain car with specific equipment is available at any dealer? I mean other than going to every dealer website searching inventory....maybe something through Ford?

Its getting harder to find '14s as supply dwindles and I saw one that I liked, but it sold. I am thinking there must be a dealer somewhere that has one but my local dealer will only search his region area. I'm willing to look further.

I went to the website inventory.ford.com and I can pull up different cities but I have to go and search zip codes....I could be at it all night long. I also searched new cars on autotrader and cars.com. Is there an easier way to do this?? My local dealer told me if I could bend on color he might be able to find one but I kind of stubbornly set!!

I have a 2nd choice which I think I found, but once I saw the picture of this one I really like it!!! V6 auto, 202A, comfort, ruby red/saddle.
Old 11/20/14, 06:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
Go to your local Dealer, they can locate a car through their system.
Old 11/20/14, 07:16 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pony07
Is there a way to find out if a certain car with specific equipment is available at any dealer? I mean other than going to every dealer website searching inventory....maybe something through Ford?

Its getting harder to find '14s as supply dwindles and I saw one that I liked, but it sold. I am thinking there must be a dealer somewhere that has one but my local dealer will only search his region area. I'm willing to look further.

I went to the website inventory.ford.com and I can pull up different cities but I have to go and search zip codes....I could be at it all night long. I also searched new cars on autotrader and cars.com. Is there an easier way to do this?? My local dealer told me if I could bend on color he might be able to find one but I kind of stubbornly set!!

I have a 2nd choice which I think I found, but once I saw the picture of this one I really like it!!! V6 auto, 202A, comfort, ruby red/saddle.
If you cant find a local dealer that will search for you, then you`re going to have to keep doing what you are doing.... You might also consider a used one if a `14 is what you are wanting. Even if the car is out of state and you cant go get it.... you can pay extra to have it shipped, and do all the sales paperwork via Fedex.

Also, do a general google search such as: 2014 ruby red mustang for sale...that will bring up online inventories as well
Old 11/21/14, 12:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Kind of depressed about missing that car. There does not appear to be any more. Ruby & Saddle made a simply gorgeous combination. I have a chance to get a Ruby & Stone now which is ok, certainly better than all-black. I'm probably just going to have to clean the seat often.
Old 11/21/14, 04:37 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Are you using the extended inventory search at the top of the page?

I realize that the dealer search is time comsuming...lord knows I went through lots of coffee and cigarettes doing my searches, but you don't have to select every zip code in your area.

First, pick a zip code closest to you.

If you're not already doing it, on the left side of the first page select the year and model (V6, GT, GT Premium, etc.) and then select the style you want....coupe or convertible.

Skip color and interior. This slows down the search and you might have to make some compromises anyway this this late in the game.

If you absolutely have to have a manual or automatic, select one. If it doesn't matter to you, don't select either. The search will find both for you.

Don't bother selecting features or anything else...just your basic criteria.

If the main search doesn't have what you want, select "extended inventory". It'll find other dealers within about a 75-100 mile radius of the zip you selected.

If nothing shows, enter a zip much further away and repeat the process. There will be some overlap, but you might find new prospects. Even select zip codes out of state.

Once you've found a possibility, you can open up the window sticker.

Yes, it does take time, but the Ford dealer search is more accurate than going through auto sales web sites, or individual dealer pages.

Your dealer has access to the same info, but they're trying to unload their own inventory and may be reluctant to spend time searching for a possible dealer swap.

Good luck...it's tedious and frustrating and requires a lot of patience and luck.
Old 11/21/14, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
This,

This is how they found the one I wanted.
Old 11/21/14, 12:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Kind of depressed about missing that car. There does not appear to be any more. Ruby & Saddle made a simply gorgeous combination. I have a chance to get a Ruby & Stone now which is ok, certainly better than all-black. I'm probably just going to have to clean the seat often.
My Ruby Red and Stone just crossed 28K miles and I have not had a problem with the seats getting dirty. I am fairly fastidious.
As you can see, this combination is gorgeous.

Old 11/21/14, 01:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get a V6!
Old 11/21/14, 05:44 PM

NVM didn't read through your post enough you already used autotrader.

Last edited by Galaxie64; 11/21/14 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11/22/14, 02:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
At this point you are correct, the supply is getting tight. The Wifey's has the stone, and it does need to be cleaned. But not that often, and it does clean easily. Good luck on your search.

BTW, I tried to move her to the saddle interior, but she wouldn't budge.
Old 11/22/14, 05:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
If the main search doesn't have what you want, select "extended inventory". It'll find other dealers within about a 75-100 mile radius of the zip you selected.

If nothing shows, enter a zip much further away and repeat the process. There will be some overlap, but you might find new prospects. Even select zip codes out of state.
A similar approach I used was after entering my zip code, I took note of the zip codes of the nearest five dealers that came up. After checking those dealers' inventories, I then started entering their zip codes, which gave me basically the next five closest dealers. I stopped when I got to about 1000 miles away and ordered the car from the factory. I found saddle to be very uncommon for dealer stock, so good luck in your search.
Old 11/22/14, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I never had Ford leather. Is it easy to clean? Easier than their fabric? I hate the Mustang fabric, even if I get a small spot and use Tough Stuff cleaner it leaves a mark.

I also worry about leather because I've seen car seats from old (say 5 years) cars and it gets to look all cracked and worn looking. I live in the south, and my car will not be garaged. Do you use some kind of conditioner on it?
Old 11/23/14, 01:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I never had Ford leather. Is it easy to clean? Easier than their fabric? I hate the Mustang fabric, even if I get a small spot and use Tough Stuff cleaner it leaves a mark.

I also worry about leather because I've seen car seats from old (say 5 years) cars and it gets to look all cracked and worn looking. I live in the south, and my car will not be garaged. Do you use some kind of conditioner on it?
Well I've only had mine for 6 months, so I can't answer but my understanding is most leather nowadays has a clearcoat applied which makes it a lot like vinyl. I am afraid of the leather cracking but I am hoping that like most leather products it will wear in nicely. If not, Recaro replacements.
Old 11/23/14, 04:49 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Siber Express
This^^^^^ It took my local dealer 30 seconds to find the 2014 Edge Limited (color and options) we were looking for in Kentucky 70 miles away A couple of salesmen drove up to get it and we had it the next day.
Old 11/23/14, 02:50 PM
GT Member

Another option not mentioned is if you dead set on that combo do this....

Buy a Ruby Red irreguardless of the seat color.... After getting the car either:

A. Watch for someone to sell the saddle leather seat covers used on ebay

-- or --

B. But the seat covers new -- This route is VERY EXPENSIVE though.

Ive seen the saddle leather come up several times the past year... Im watching the market prices of the used `13 & `14 Shelby seat covers.
Old 11/23/14, 03:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by David Young
This^^^^^ It took my local dealer 30 seconds to find the 2014 Edge Limited (color and options) we were looking for in Kentucky 70 miles away A couple of salesmen drove up to get it and we had it the next day.
Sounds like one of three things happened here:

1. Both dealerships were owned by the same group/had extended inventory agreements.

2. The OP`s dealership had something the other dealership wanted pretty bad -- available factory allocation, a specific vehicle the other place also wanted in stock and did a trade, etc.

3. The Edge had been on the KY dealer`s lot for more than 90 days and was zeroing in on the 180 day mark, thus the dealership was willing to do anything to make it disapear and not leave them with inventory they would have to make a large payment on back their lender.

I`ll bet it was #3
Old 11/23/14, 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
Originally Posted by lajntx
Sounds like one of three things happened here:

1. Both dealerships were owned by the same group/had extended inventory agreements.

2. The OP`s dealership had something the other dealership wanted pretty bad -- available factory allocation, a specific vehicle the other place also wanted in stock and did a trade, etc.

3. The Edge had been on the KY dealer`s lot for more than 90 days and was zeroing in on the 180 day mark, thus the dealership was willing to do anything to make it disapear and not leave them with inventory they would have to make a large payment on back their lender.

I`ll bet it was #3
Not necessarily, I got my Mustang from the same dealer as David got the Edge from and my car was at a dealer in NC some 200 miles away. They talked to the service manager and did a trade and I drove the trade out and picked up the Mustang.
This was also a car that I found and told them about.
Old 11/23/14, 06:07 PM
Bullitt Member

I was able to find a Ruby/Stone V6 myself at a dealer 200 miles away. My local dealer apparently did not see this one; when he tried to find one he came up with the saddle one which was in a different city 250 miles away in another state. So I wonder why he did not see this one.

This car I am looking at has a date on the door jamb sticker of 12/13. It was sold to a dealer in a different state, which is 250 miles driving by shortest route. The car has 650 miles on it. Even if you take off the 250 mile trip which I'm sure they drove, that's still 400 miles worth of test drives - that's a lot! It has never been titled so it is new. But I wonder why in all this time, nearly 10 or 11 months, nobody has bought it. And its in a major metropolitan area. Doesn't this cost the dealer a good bit of money to keep it?
Old 11/29/14, 12:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Pony, it could have been driven buy a Manager at one of the dealers. Just a thought. One never knows why a car doesn't sell, and it does cost the dealer the longer it sits, taxes, etc. The sales manager at my dealer spoke of a car not selling one time. He said he can order a car, and it will sell within a week. The he can order the same car, and it will take two months to sell. Nature of the beast I guess.

BTW, you could ask the dealer if he will run a CarFax report for you. That will tell where the car has been, and when the miles were put on it.
Old 11/30/14, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Surprisingly, they still have it listed. Its almost a year old! But I decided to pull the trigger on a '15. The price was so close, the payment was literally $5 apart.