2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 Mustang Paint Blistering

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/15, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mustang Paint Blistering

Paint is blistering on hood front edge of 2011 Mustang with 39k miles. Ford will not repair because it is not perforation. This is an obvious paint defect from manufacturer. Where's the quality in Ford products?

Last edited by Rjager0216; 2/20/15 at 07:13 PM.
Old 2/21/15, 06:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2010's hood did the same thing and my dealer would fix it either.
Old 2/21/15, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you have any pictures of this? I have heard people complain about this before. I have a 2014 and I am looking under the hood constantly. Thanks
Old 2/21/15, 01:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
There are at least four other threads this has been going on in, from all years, 2005-2014, and may be more than that:

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...nt-ugh-507379/

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...n-hood-491504/

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...rosion-532133/

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...p-hood-522361/

And since the paint and body is NOT under 5/50K warranty (as that's powertrain only), but the 3/36, any car which was not bought new in the years of...well, today's date in 2012 and on are out of luck on this. (as of this writing in Feb 2015.)

It will *never* perforate. Not in your lifetime anyway, not without a heck of a lot of help. One of the better aspects of Aluminum alloy... Once it oxidizes, it protects itself from further 'rusting'. Unless an agent is applied to cause it to corrode more. Sucks for paint though, it already doesn't want to hang on to the paint, and then it turns underneath... paint pops right off.

Only hope is to replace the hood with another and hope its ecoat is good, or get an aftermarket plastic/fiberglass one (or steel if you can find it, good luck), or strip it and prep it properly and repaint off the car and remount it.

It is the one thing they shouldn't have done on these cars, use Aluminum, unless you were going to do it *everywhere*.

Last edited by houtex; 2/21/15 at 01:46 PM.
Old 2/21/15, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by tony2014mustang
Do you have any pictures of this? I have heard people complain about this before. I have a 2014 and I am looking under the hood constantly. Thanks
Car is garaged most of the time.
I will try to add pics. It is occurring on front edge.
Old 2/21/15, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
There are at least four other threads this has been going on in, from all years, 2005-2014, and may be more than that:

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...nt-ugh-507379/

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...n-hood-491504/

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...rosion-532133/

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...p-hood-522361/

And since the paint and body is NOT under 5/50K warranty (as that's powertrain only), but the 3/36, any car which was not bought new in the years of...well, today's date in 2012 and on are out of luck on this. (as of this writing in Feb 2015.)

It will *never* perforate. Not in your lifetime anyway, not without a heck of a lot of help. One of the better aspects of Aluminum alloy... Once it oxidizes, it protects itself from further 'rusting'. Unless an agent is applied to cause it to corrode more. Sucks for paint though, it already doesn't want to hang on to the paint, and then it turns underneath... paint pops right off.

Only hope is to replace the hood with another and hope its ecoat is good, or get an aftermarket plastic/fiberglass one (or steel if you can find it, good luck), or strip it and prep it properly and repaint off the car and remount it.

It is the one thing they shouldn't have done on these cars, use Aluminum, unless you were going to do it *everywhere*.
Can't wait to see how new aluminum trucks hold up.

The car is in garage most of the time in SC. Ford would not consider doing anything.
Old 2/21/15, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rjager0216
Paint is blistering on hood front edge of 2011 Mustang with 39k miles. Ford will not repair because it is not perforation. This is an obvious paint defect from manufacturer. Where's the quality in Ford products?
See attached pics.
Attached Images    
Old 2/21/15, 02:40 PM

Was told 3 yr bumper to bumper would cover issue, but not 5yr/ 50K paint warranty was only perforation.
Old 2/21/15, 02:41 PM

It will probably take a lot of complaints before Ford may consider doing something. I may try BBB but may not have a technical leg to stand on since it is not perforation.
Old 2/22/15, 12:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
At this rate, it will take no complaints, for Ford generally isn't budging on this. They've pretty much taken a 'did it last through the warranty? Then our job is done! Movin' on...' attitude about it.

Your best bet again is to get it repainted by a facility that knows how to paint it, or replace it with one that's more amenable to being painted in the first place.

---

Regarding the all aluminum F-150... the amount of steel vs aluminum might just abate some of the corrosion issues. The other part is that they aren't going to be dunking assembled steel and aluminum chassis and bodies into the same tanks, so any contamination from the steel won't be had, ostensibly.

I daresay that after thinking about it quite a bit, regardless of my previous posts about how the paint's going to fall off... they might actually have a chance at having sticking paint on the F-150, due to the fact that it is *all* aluminum, and not just the hoods.

Time will tell on that, of course.
Old 2/25/15, 09:12 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by houtex
At this rate, it will take no complaints, for Ford generally isn't budging on this. They've pretty much taken a 'did it last through the warranty? Then our job is done! Movin' on...' attitude about it.

Your best bet again is to get it repainted by a facility that knows how to paint it, or replace it with one that's more amenable to being painted in the first place.

---

Regarding the all aluminum F-150... the amount of steel vs aluminum might just abate some of the corrosion issues. The other part is that they aren't going to be dunking assembled steel and aluminum chassis and bodies into the same tanks, so any contamination from the steel won't be had, ostensibly.

I daresay that after thinking about it quite a bit, regardless of my previous posts about how the paint's going to fall off... they might actually have a chance at having sticking paint on the F-150, due to the fact that it is *all* aluminum, and not just the hoods.

Time will tell on that, of course.
Don't forget to add that they are spending hundreds of millions of dollars to help update dealer body shops to prevent these issues from occurring when bodywork has to be done.
Old 2/25/15, 09:24 AM
SVS
V6 Member

It happened to me twice..Both times the dealer fixed it under warranty. The second fix the Body Shop covered because their first one failed and the bubbling came back. I was shocked they got the paint matched and blended.
Also HB Ford uses a contract Body Shop in the area, it's not an in-house part of the service department.

Ideally the repair holds

Last edited by SVS; 2/25/15 at 09:26 AM.
Old 2/25/15, 10:47 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by SVS
It happened to me twice..Both times the dealer fixed it under warranty. The second fix the Body Shop covered because their first one failed and the bubbling came back. I was shocked they got the paint matched and blended.
Also HB Ford uses a contract Body Shop in the area, it's not an in-house part of the service department.

Ideally the repair holds

How long did it take to come back? I had my hood done late summer and its been parked in the driveway covered since late October early November.
Old 2/25/15, 11:35 AM
SVS
V6 Member

Originally Posted by VidPro
How long did it take to come back? I had my hood done late summer and its been parked in the driveway covered since late October early November.

The Vehicle is a 2011 I bought in October 2010. First repair was March '13 and second was May '14.

The second time it was on both sides of the hood.
Old 2/25/15, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by VidPro

Same situation as you. My hood is starting to bubble again. So about 6 months or so. Also, on the top of the hood I'm getting some sort of paint failure. I'll be asking for a new hood.
Old 2/28/15, 07:50 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Bummer. Right before I put her away I looked at it. It looked great but I have this bad feeling once the snow melts off the cover and I take my first look it'll be back. I really don't want to go through an endless dance with this issue. Every time the car goes in it has a chance of a ding or other disaster.
Old 2/28/15, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I come to accept that, There is none!!
Old 3/11/15, 11:38 AM
GT Member

Folks, if you have been denied warranty coverage and Deysha was not able to successfully have this issue resolved for you (or it was repainted/replaced and the issue came back), there is another option now. The below attorney has filed a class action lawsuit against ford for this specific issue on behalf of two mustang owners. He is looking for more people who have gone through the ringer and haven't had a successful resolution.

I'm only posting this because I think Ford should permanently fix the issue. in the end it hurts their brand image to have cars running around with what looks like car-herpes on the aluminum.

http://www.sommerspc.com/en/people/l....aspx?ORID=192
Old 3/11/15, 12:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
Folks, if you have been denied warranty coverage and Deysha was not able to successfully have this issue resolved for you (or it was repainted/replaced and the issue came back), there is another option now. The below attorney has filed a class action lawsuit against ford for this specific issue on behalf of two mustang owners. He is looking for more people who have gone through the ringer and haven't had a successful resolution.

I'm only posting this because I think Ford should permanently fix the issue. in the end it hurts their brand image to have cars running around with what looks like car-herpes on the aluminum.

http://www.sommerspc.com/en/people/l....aspx?ORID=192

That link does not work.
Old 3/11/15, 01:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dave07
That link does not work.
sommerspc.com/en/people/lance-c-young.aspx?ORID=192

The Attorney's name is Lance C Young. He's the one handling the lawsuit.

Same site, just look up Lance C Young on their website. The auto-linking is cutting his name out of the link after a time.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 3/11/15 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang Paint Blistering