Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2005-2009 Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005-2009 Mustang
S197 Discussion & News

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 6/10/10, 11:31 AM   #1
Bullitt Member

Aging Tires, how old, should I worry?

My Mustang just turned 6 years old. I have 17,000 miles on it. I only drove it 1500 miles last year. I've noticed some age cracking (very small) on the edges of the tires.

I've heard that old tires can be as dangerous as worn tires. Does anyone know about aging of tires?

Thanks
Old 6/10/10, 11:37 AM   #2
Mach 1 Member

I was told you should change them if they are 5 to 6 years old. I don't know if that's true anymore.
SuperSugeKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/10/10, 12:32 PM   #3
Mach 1 Member

Keith

2008 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight View Post
I was told you should change them if they are 5 to 6 years old. I don't know if that's true anymore.
That is still generally true, especially for tires that are mounted on a car year round and face all kinds of weather. Tires stored unmounted in a climate controlled environment may be good for longer, but I try and change my tires no later than 6 years after the build date code on the tire, regardless of how much tread is left or if there is any cracking. SOunds like the OP should be buying a set of new tires soon. I believe there is more info on tire aging on the Tire Rack website in the tire tech section.

Other cars: 1990 Miata, 2005 Mini Cooper, 2007 Subaru Forester XT, 2012 Ford Fusion, 2013 Subaru BRZ

Past Mustangs: 2001 Bullitt, 1989 5.0 LX, 1981 Cobra V8
Ministang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/10/10, 12:41 PM   #4
Bullitt Member

2009 Mustang GT, CS
The tires are the only thing between you and the road, that's how i look at it.
yugoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/10/10, 7:59 PM   #5
Team Mustang Source

Mustang
Send a message via AIM to area5179
You should change them out. even though the have low miles on them they are relatively old. i look at it as a safety thing not a money thing. new tires may be a little costly but it's cheap insurance.
NEWS: After a warning from Belgium, the terror alert level in France has been upgraded from 'RUN' to 'HIDE', authorities have been told to prepare for further increases in the alert level to 'SURRENDER' and possibly even 'COLLABERATE' should the security condition continue to degrade.

I also own 22,000 french army rifles. Never fired. Only dropped once.

2005 Mustang GT Premium, Redfire, IUP, ICAP, Manual Trans, Upgraded wheels, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, Hurst Shifter.
area5179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/10/10, 10:04 PM   #6
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Antigini

2007 GT/CS
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Antigini-GT/CS
Believe me when I say you don't want a blowout!
1997 Nissan 240sx rb26 606rwhp - Sold

True Street Industries, LLC
Antigini-GT/CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/10/10, 11:04 PM   #7
Bullitt Member

Matthew

2004 Mach 1
Send a message via AIM to Poisoned Pony Send a message via Yahoo to Poisoned Pony
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswhalen View Post
My Mustang just turned 6 years old. I have 17,000 miles on it. I only drove it 1500 miles last year. I've noticed some age cracking (very small) on the edges of the tires.

I've heard that old tires can be as dangerous as worn tires. Does anyone know about aging of tires?

Thanks
FoMoCo recommends 5 years max on tires. When I'm doing 99p inspections at work, I look for age and cracking regardless of mileage. Rather have a safe customer than a dead one.
Ford certified technician providing TMS with advice and quality side-work!
Poisoned Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/10/10, 11:07 PM   #8

Article found on the net

Auto Tire Age & Safety

Many people base their decision on when to change their tires on the number of miles the tires has been used. However, the age of the tire is also a consideration when determining the safety of tires.
  1. Function
  2. Tires dry out as they age, which makes them more susceptible to blow outs even if they have relatively few miles on them.Time Frame
  3. BF Goodrich claims that tires more than 10 years old need to be replaced. If you have used your tires more than five years, you should check them each year for cracks.Identification
  4. Each tire should have its date of manufacture stamped on it as part of the DOT code. The last two digits represent the year and the prior two digits represent the week of the year. For example, a DOT number of "4402" means the tire was made in the 44th week of 2002.Warning
  5. If the DOT code ends in three numbers instead of four, the last digit represents the year and the prior two represent the week. These tires are at least 10 years old and should be replaced.Considerations
  6. The National Highway Transit Safety Administration cautions that tires will age faster in warmer temperatures due to the extra sunlight. In addition, seldomly used tires will age quicker than tires that are used on a regular basis.

Window Tint
Quarter Window Louvers
Mirror Covers
Sequential Tail Lights
kenpups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/11/10, 8:32 AM   #9
Mach 1 Member

2008 GT/CS
The Michelin TRX tires on my '82 GT are original and are not cracking (it is not stored outside) but I would not drive a long distance at highway speed on them since they are so old.

The tires on my wife's car were 6 years old and needed to be replaced due to significant cracking.

Engine/Perf Mods - Borla 11752 Axle Backs, K&N, FRPP Plenum Cover, JLT Catch Can, Stack Racing STB.
Exterior Mods - SHR CS Grill Insert, CCMB Front Bracket, Jaeger Bros Flaps, WE Sequentials, AM Magnetic Blackout.
Interior Mods - Round Shifter Ball, Grabber Pony Jam Nut, More to Come!

'82 5.0 GT- Gone but not forgotten
825LTRGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/11/10, 9:44 AM   #10
Bullitt Member

I live in the desert so it gets really hot

Thanks for all the responses. I live near Las Vegas and it is brutally hot here in the summer. I've been looking for some GT500 Take offs, but I need to check the manufacture dates before I buy them. I am only going to drive around town until I get some new tires.
Old 6/11/10, 9:58 AM   #11
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Antigini

2007 GT/CS
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Antigini-GT/CS
Gotta love that heat. What's the altitude in Vegas?
1997 Nissan 240sx rb26 606rwhp - Sold

True Street Industries, LLC
Antigini-GT/CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/11/10, 10:32 AM   #12
Bullitt Member

About 2000 Feet, it 2300 here.
Old 6/12/10, 7:01 AM   #13
FR500 Member

John

2006 Mustang GT
Send a message via ICQ to Stoenr Send a message via AIM to Stoenr Send a message via Yahoo to Stoenr
I think it really varies on manufactures. Some seem to show cracking a lot sooner than others. I would not worry too much about the F1's that are on those GT500 take offs.
My winter beater is rolling around on 12+ year old Goodyear snow tires, no issues.
I am taking off my rear F1's today as a matter of fact. DOT code 3807, and the new ones that just came from Tire Rack are 4907, a whopping few months newer, lol. I have confidence in Goodyear tires when it comes to age. Michelin, not so much. Thats about 19 years of experience in the tire industry.
I generally wear my tires out before they get too old anyway, lol.

Mods : Sct2, JLTII, UDP, SS brake hoses, HPS pads, Strut Tower Brace, Dspecs, ProKit, Bump Steer, Adj. LCA's, CHE antisquats, UCA, Adj. panhard, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, Tint, 07 Plenum Cover, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, SSE 1/4 window louvers, PJ Saleen Heritage f/fascia, CDC ducktail, Interior trunk release.
Stoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/18/10, 5:34 PM   #14
Mach 1 Member

Paul

'07 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 825LTRGT View Post
The Michelin TRX tires on my '82 GT are original and are not cracking (it is not stored outside) but I would not drive a long distance at highway speed on them since they are so old.
As owner of several older, low mileage vehicles, I've done some research into this issue in the past. (Once even had a letter published about this in Road & Track!)

IMHO, the greater "danger" in rolling on older tires (meaning 5-8 year-old range) then an increased chance of a blowout due to cracking is a deterioration in handling due to the aging rubber.

But 25+ years old is a whole other story. There's a lot to be said for "originality" but personally I would never have tires that old on a vehicle that I actually drove. Whatever you're worried about on a "long" drive could happen on a "short" one, right?

Just my two cents...YMMV.
'07 Tungsten Grey, GT Premium, 5-speed, 3:55, spoiler delete, polished aluminum wheels, active alarm, side air bags, IUP, charcoal interior, Premium Trim, charcoal dash panel, Comfort Group, GTA axle-backs, FR strut tower brace.

Last edited by davisinla; 6/18/10 at 5:38 PM.
davisinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/18/10, 5:34 PM