Curated Content Articles 64-70 Youtube & Photo Gallery Magazine Type Articles With Pictures By IB / Photo Gallery & Youtube

67' Shelby Project

Search this Thread

Old 11/14/07, 09:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thread Hijack!!!!(but relevant )

What would you consider the best "performance street" suspension setup for a 67 Mustang.
I'm really starting to look at the new Dynacorn body, so any option is realistic. I want to build a Shelby clone that I can drive easily on the street but wouldn't be afraid to take to a road course or autocross either.

I've looked at the Griggs GR-350, and a Satchell 4 link. Are they only for hard-core racers? Would I be happy with a TCP kit?

One confound is that I would prefer to keep the car as stock looking as possible, so a Watts-Link may be out of the question because I'd prefer a rear exit exhaust.
Old 11/14/07, 12:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
well....these cars are really light...so having an expensive suspension setup I dont think is worth it... not too much body roll on these things if you just stiffin everything really well...just from my experiance.
Old 11/14/07, 03:47 PM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
Light really has little to do with handling.....and you can upgrade the suspension without getting expensive. You can buy a Watt's link system that still uses rear exit exhaust for as little as $600.
Old 11/15/07, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by svopaul
Light really has little to do with handling.....and you can upgrade the suspension without getting expensive. You can buy a Watt's link system that still uses rear exit exhaust for as little as $600.
Paul, do tell. I'd be very interested. I'd also like to hear your professional opinion about how you'd setup a car given "carte blanche."

Thanks,
Frank
Old 11/19/07, 04:43 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by wsmatau
Paul, do tell. I'd be very interested. I'd also like to hear your professional opinion about how you'd setup a car given "carte blanche."

Thanks,
Frank
That's a loaded question....with an unlimited budget there is a lot you can do and from a lot of companies. Global West, Griggs and others make a lot of nice stuff...and a lot of it gives you very similar results in the end.

Currently and with this project I want to try out the Fays2 rear watts link suspension...I've heard great reviews and want to see first hand for myself but it allows use of rear exit exhaust and the retail price of the kit is $600. I have seen the kit personally and was impressed with the structure and weld quality.

Most of the time people want to maximize their money spent on a project and I am all for that....I have a Fox car here in the shop with the ultra expensive Griggs GR40 suspension with watts link and the handling is unreal, I also have cars here with the Kenny Brown suspension with Track kit (Panhard bar) and they are impressive as well...the only way to really put them against each other would be under extreme track conditions because on the street they are comparable.

THIS particular project over the past week has taken a new turn in the drivetrain area....we scored a deal on a Terminator engine which was are now planning to install along with a 6 speed transmission.

There is also a lot more to enlighten everyone to on this particular project which I'll do in the next day or so as I find time.

We do have a project name for this car now though....."Diamond in the Rough"....more to come
Attached Thumbnails 67' Shelby Project-terminatora.jpg  
Old 11/19/07, 06:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Paul. I appreciate your honest opinion. I know that most manufacturers want to point out their strengths vs the competition's weakness. I unfortunately fall into the trap of longing for the "new gadget" more often than I care to admit.
I had a '94 Kenny Brown Cobra and really liked the performance, although I'll admit I probably can't drive well enough to really use it near its limits. The real selling point for that car was its street manners.
Lately, I've convinced myself that I should sell my '05 and get a classic. The hard part is convincing the wife and coming up with the difference in $$$.
Old 11/20/07, 06:58 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by wsmatau
Thanks Paul. I appreciate your honest opinion. I know that most manufacturers want to point out their strengths vs the competition's weakness. I unfortunately fall into the trap of longing for the "new gadget" more often than I care to admit.
I had a '94 Kenny Brown Cobra and really liked the performance, although I'll admit I probably can't drive well enough to really use it near its limits. The real selling point for that car was its street manners.
Lately, I've convinced myself that I should sell my '05 and get a classic. The hard part is convincing the wife and coming up with the difference in $$$.
VERY few people will ever push a car to it's limits....even fewer for a car that is equipped with aftermarket handling goodies. I think the cars like the Kenny Brown, Griggs & Maximum Motorsports equipped cars are cars that it takes a lot of guts to push a car like that to it's handling threshold and most people just won't go that far (and certainly should not on the street!). Even at a closed course track event it is tough to find the limits....but possible.

To me street manners are high on the importance list because I like to drive my cars and the cars we build are meant to be driven mostly on the street but track capable if the desire is there.

The '05 handles reasonably well out of the box and can be greatly improved as was done with PSH....the old cars have a significant weight advantage which makes it feel completely different and more go kart-ish. My '86 SVO feels like a go kart compared to the new '07 GT500 Shelby which weighs at least 1500lbs more than the SVO but still handles very well.
Old 11/21/07, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Very nice car, so how do you get Paul to work so fast?
Old 11/21/07, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Love to see it when its done!!!!!
Old 11/21/07, 03:49 PM
Service Manager

Y'all haven't seen anything yet......We are obsessive compulsive about details and doing something right....John is the same way and while his line of work is on a smaller level per item and ours is on larger things....we both have the same train of thought and quirks.....with that said, I can promise you that you have NEVER seen a Mustang built with this level of attention to detail nor have you ever seen one taken down so far.....that's a hint of things to come. Pics coming after thanksgiving....have a happy one everyone
Old 12/13/07, 03:16 PM
Service Manager

OK...I've got the web page started for this project on my site. At the shop here we share the same "sickness" as John which doctors best describe as OCD....we just aren't satisfied with anything other than perfect or done the right way.

Many people commented how solid this car was....well, everyone was fooled including John and myself. The car was presented to us as a solid car and in the end it was not what it was supposed to be.....which brings about a VERY valuable lesson...especially for those of you who might buy a finished car from someone else or at an auction like Barrett Jackson...because you never really know what is hidden under that paint!

This car was at best guess redone back in the late 70's/early 80's as evidenced by the repair technique using brass....the end result is a restification unlike anything you have probably ever seen before! We are taking this car down farther than you are imagining right now.....Go ahead, call us crazy

Follow along: http://www.svpu.com/projects/67%20Co...ble/index.html
Old 12/16/07, 05:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

OMG!!! Paul, you and John are definately certifiable!!! For ANYONE who has said that a Mustang has had a frame-off resto, THIS is what you do for a frame-off resto!!! Honestly, I have never seen a 'stang taken down so far!! Great work there Paul!!
Old 12/18/07, 11:19 AM
Service Manager

Yes, we are certifiable! It's actually not as bad as it looks from a build perspective...easier this way than to try to patch things and in the end it will be a far nicer car than if we made patches and fixed what was there.

Today just in time for Christmas the big freight truck arrived with our first load of needed parts. Unfortunately the boxes squashed our Tree! I am still short a piece or two which should arrive any day. We are a Dynacorn Dealer so we are using Dynacorn for our sheetmetal....the quality is fantastic and they are all nice thick steel....FAR better than most everything that has been available for so long on the market!! I'll detail the assembly as we go through it but our start right now is with new rockers, full floor pan, firewall and rear floor section. We will still have to fabricate some pieces since there are no replacements available though.
Attached Thumbnails 67' Shelby Project-sheetmetala.jpg   67' Shelby Project-boxes3a.jpg   67' Shelby Project-boxes2a.jpg  
Old 12/18/07, 12:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll get you a new tree for Christmas
Old 12/18/07, 03:08 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Johns finnaly get a mod motor!??
Old 1/4/08, 08:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Over the Holidays...a little progess

Old 1/6/08, 11:30 AM
V6 Member

Holy Crap!

Are you replacing the whole car? The car looked pretty solid in the previous pictures!
Old 1/6/08, 12:33 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by mongooztt
Are you replacing the whole car? The car looked pretty solid in the previous pictures!
Not entirely but close.....This goes to show that appearances can be deceiving. Once the car was blasted there was a lot of hidden damage that an unscrupulous person in the past just covered up with undercoating, fiberglass reinforced body filler, etc.

John wants the car "right" and there is only one way to achieve that goal which meant to take the car down this far. In the end this will be a truly "rust free" car where time was spent to make it right rather than slap it together like most are unfortunately done...leaving someone down the road to have to clean up someone elses poor work.

This car is a keeper for John so every detail is being addressed.

Remember when you are looking at that nice classic to purchase or even at a car show....just what is hidden under that shiny paint that you can't see???
Old 1/6/08, 09:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Paul,
Man, you guys are meticulous!!! I just wish I had the Time and the Money (and a place to do it in!!) to do this to my coupe!!
Old 1/12/08, 12:47 AM
GT Member

Good luck to you! Should be a neat little ride when finished! (Have you considered side exit exhausts? Boy, in a 'vert, that would be just heavenly!)
-Jim

Quick Reply: 67' Shelby Project