Curated Content Articles 64-70 Youtube & Photo Gallery Magazine Type Articles With Pictures By IB / Photo Gallery & Youtube

67' Shelby Project

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/12, 03:26 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I love everything but the wheels
Old 3/30/12, 05:03 PM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
Here's a couple more shots....
Attached Thumbnails 67' Shelby Project-imag1712.jpg   67' Shelby Project-imag1713.jpg  
Old 3/30/12, 06:11 PM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scothew
Hey everyone, check out Project T-67... Sitting at Barbers Motorsports Park this weekend for the Grand-Am and Indy races.
It's so pretty!!!
Old 4/6/12, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woww amazing project! just went through every page
Old 4/13/12, 08:28 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks Hunter, now that the final details are being completed on the car, were going to be getting a photoshoot arranged and a feature article for the site done in the near future.
Old 7/16/12, 06:47 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Anyone ready for some dyno numbers on this thing??
Old 7/17/12, 06:56 AM
Service Manager

We are not quite there...it got late and we had a failure on the heat exchanger pump....will be back on the dyno soon
Old 6/21/23, 02:09 PM
Service Manager

So as a most recent update on Project T-67....John enjoyed the car for a number of years, we made just over 500HP at the wheels. During the time the car was being driven and shown the only real issue we had was the hood....Keep in mind this was the best hood money could buy, we got it from Branda Performance....Initially we spent probably 60 hours just getting it straight to our liking...there was a dip on top of the scoop, had to cut out the vents as they are not cut out as delivered and general blocking to get the hood straight was a lot of work. After paint and at shows we discovered that in the heat the hood would bow due to its length and the fact that there is no steel frame in the hood...it is 100% fiberglass. This is not a good combination....it would bow if you left it up at a show and then eventually once closed it would come back to shape. We had discussed cutting it apart and grafting in a metal frame to fix this issue but we never did get that far...Then the hood seperated at the passenger rear, the glue or resin failed and the back corner pulled apart. I fixed this using 3M panel bonding adhesive...that fixed the coming part issue but we were still left with the bowing issue if the hood was left up in the heat. While plans were to dig back into that John was approached by a friend of his begging for the car, John agreed to sell it to him as long as he had visitation rights. Well...that didn't last long as the next owner was made an offer and the car was sold to a man in Tennessee, this owner took the car to Mecum and the Volo Auto Museum bought the car. Volo was very complimentary in the video of our build, the bowing hood was mentioned as the only issue. Volo sells everything and had the car listed for $169K and it has sold once again and that's where the trail is currently dry. Hopefully the new owner is out there enjoying the car as it was built to be driven. I have included a link to the Volo ad and video....they got a few things wrong for example, My shop is located in Alabama...not California and they missed out on a lot of the very cool firsts with this build and the cool things done to create it like the enlarged exhaust cut outs to fit the magnaflow tips; exhaust run through tunnels making this the first and only car that we know of to date that has rear exit exhaust with the Griggs GR350 Watts link; The 2007 Transmission tunnel we grafted into the car to use the GT500 6 speed; etc. If Volo had reached out I could have provided so much more information on the car than they had...but it's cool to see where it goes and the compliments it has gotten along the way.

https://www.volocars.com/auto-sales/...by-pro-touring
The following 4 users liked this post by svopaul:
05stangkc (6/21/23), Bert (12/14/23), DJ2014 (6/24/23), shaneyusa (6/22/23)
Old 6/21/23, 02:20 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,876 Posts
I Bet Next Time It Sells It Breaks 200K!

Some of You Newer Members May Not Have Realized What a Craftsman You Had in your Midst!

Love To Have That in My Stable!

I was Reminded By the Other Forum I Had Supplied Some of the 03 Cobra Parts on This Bad Boy! Man it's Been a Long Time!

Bravo!

KC

Other Related Thread!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...veiled-478225/

Last edited by 05stangkc; 6/21/23 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12/13/23, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its still alive and in the wild. Hoping to sort a few things out.
The following users liked this post:
Bert (12/14/23)
Old 12/13/23, 04:05 PM

Welcome!

Nice To See The Car Again!

You Have Set Up Two Similar Accounts Do You Need Both or Would You Like One Deactivated??

KC
Admin
Old 12/13/23, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Welcome!

Nice To See The Car Again!

You Have Set Up Two Similar Accounts Do You Need Both or Would You Like One Deactivated??

KC
Admin
Sorry, first ones activation email got stuck in limbo for that email address, so I made one with a address with less draconian spam filters. The other on can be tossed. Thank you.
Old 12/13/23, 04:14 PM

No Worries!

Would Love To Have You Go To Introductions and Tell The Tale!

Love the Car, Part of Our History Here at TMS!

Sure Paul Will Be Happy to See it!

KC
Old 12/13/23, 04:14 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by Fast spec2

Its still alive and in the wild. Hoping to sort a few things out.
Welcome to the site! Great to see it surface....if you have any questions, let me know....There may have been things done to it after I built it but I have pictures from start to finish and all the info on the car.
Old 12/13/23, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by svopaul
Welcome to the site! Great to see it surface....if you have any questions, let me know....There may have been things done to it after I built it but I have pictures from start to finish and all the info on the car.
Thank you, there may be a few questions at some point.
Looks like a few things have changed since the last pictures you posted. Mostly I believe some engine stuff. Hoping to get a few things ironed out, mainly make it drive better.
Again, thanks for the offer.
Old 12/14/23, 06:57 AM
Service Manager

Thank you, there may be a few questions at some point.
Looks like a few things have changed since the last pictures you posted. Mostly I believe some engine stuff. Hoping to get a few things ironed out, mainly make it drive better.
Again, thanks for the offer.
I'd be interested to see what has changed, Driveability was perfect and it made 500 RWHP when we dyno tuned it. I suspect if it still has Kumho Tires on it that they are aged out at this point since we installed them in 2009 so be careful driving on those...the owner never drove it enough to wear them out. The valve stems are hidden and the stem shoold be in the console. The hood was a challenge on the car and we had planned to take a donor hood and build a steel frame to eliminate the bow that would occur in the heat with the hood up...it would relax back but that was extremely disappointing as far as product quality goes since that was the best hood money could buy from Tony Branda. We had probably 200 hours into getting the hood perfect prior to paint.
Old 12/15/23, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by svopaul
I'd be interested to see what has changed, Driveability was perfect and it made 500 RWHP when we dyno tuned it. I suspect if it still has Kumho Tires on it that they are aged out at this point since we installed them in 2009 so be careful driving on those...the owner never drove it enough to wear them out. The valve stems are hidden and the stem shoold be in the console. The hood was a challenge on the car and we had planned to take a donor hood and build a steel frame to eliminate the bow that would occur in the heat with the hood up...it would relax back but that was extremely disappointing as far as product quality goes since that was the best hood money could buy from Tony Branda. We had probably 200 hours into getting the hood perfect prior to paint.
Well, what I think I know so far, This is all pretty 14th hand at this point. I don't own the car, I'm just the schmuck that is trying to get it back into drivable shape.
The car apparently lost a head gasket at some point. I personally have never had an issue with 4.6 head gaskets blowing Either 2v or 4v. External oil leaks ala the early f-series trucks maybe, but compression ring failures, not so much. The heads were pulled and a set of comp 274he cams were installed with I'm assuming the correct springs and whatnot. It was put back together with head studs and some type of mls gasket by the flash light test.
From there it went to at least one PDX area shop where it either sat or was unsuccessfully tuned for the cams. I'm not sure what all went on there. It also appears by looking at your build pictures that it got a SCT BA2600 maf meter and a set of deka 60's. Again not sure why, the stock meter and the blues should have done it especially with a factory blower.
This is the point it landed in my world.
I got the car running and idling right, got the fuel trims right, got the idle control comp and integer correct for the airflow, ect ect. Put a set of shop wheels and tires on it and finished up wot. Car seems a bit light on power compared to all the other 03-04 cars I've done but its ball park. 20-21* 12-1 afr, tune looks good. Not sure what problems the other guys were running into but you never really get the whole story. Part throttle is good and the car has really good low speed manors again. Not sure why the cams with a stock blower and non ported heads.

Other issues I noticed that I may or may not be tackling depending on what the owner wants to do,
Battery is pretty dead, doesn't really like to hold a charge and it cranks pretty slow
Every jam nut on the front suspension is loose
The passenger strut rod looks like it was attacked by an aluminum eating beaver
The tires are dead
It has a terrible driveshaft vibration above 100mph.
The tie rod end hits the lower control arm at or near lock. No real way to adjust a steering stop that I can see.
There is a hitch in the steering, a stiff spot through the range, it makes the car not want to auto center the wheel when you let go of it.
The down stream IAT's are higher than I'd like to see and it takes an age to pull them back down. The pumps running but flow seems down maybe? Not sure but we may investigate it, may not. This guy is not the dude to track this thing.
Most of the gauges do not work. Oil pressure gauge is flaky, water temp reads 30*'s hotter than ect sensor, tach does not work at all.
The hood is still a thing, starting to crack too around the passenger hinge.

So its got a few issues, most of which look to me like they were caused by either too many cooks in the kitchen or someone who just doesn't know any better.

You sure did a nice job on this car. The stuff that has not been sabotaged is pretty spectacular. Fit and finish is top notch and there is alot of creativity and problem solving on display here. It all fits so well and looks so well, its almost unfortunate how subtle alot of the work is.
Nicely done sir.

Old 12/15/23, 12:46 PM

Sounds Like You are Quite Skilled I Have No Doubt You Will Conquer The Beast! A Little Insight From the Builder Who is Also Quite Talented Surely Won't Hurt! Just All Those Pesky Hands in The Middle to Overcome!

I Look Forward to The Solutions!

Best of Luck!

KC
Old 12/15/23, 03:06 PM
Service Manager

Well, what I think I know so far, This is all pretty 14th hand at this point. I don't own the car, I'm just the schmuck that is trying to get it back into drivable shape.
The car apparently lost a head gasket at some point. I personally have never had an issue with 4.6 head gaskets blowing Either 2v or 4v. External oil leaks ala the early f-series trucks maybe, but compression ring failures, not so much. The heads were pulled and a set of comp 274he cams were installed with I'm assuming the correct springs and whatnot. It was put back together with head studs and some type of mls gasket by the flash light test.
From there it went to at least one PDX area shop where it either sat or was unsuccessfully tuned for the cams. I'm not sure what all went on there. It also appears by looking at your build pictures that it got a SCT BA2600 maf meter and a set of deka 60's. Again not sure why, the stock meter and the blues should have done it especially with a factory blower.
This is the point it landed in my world.
Wow, I suspect due to lack of driving that someone either got into the boost with old fuel or it ended up with a stuck injector due to sitting. There is no reason for it to have blown a headgasket on the way it was set up as it was totally safe...but there is that care variable. When the owner found the engine it was just the engine, so there was no ECU, no MAF or wiring so everything had to be nickle and dimed. The owner expressed interest in potentially increasing power down the road so the tuner suggested to him that we use the SCT MAF and Deka 60's. We had the headers custom made and added the Blower pulley...otherwise she was pretty stock. I installed cats to keep it on the quieter end with it being a convertible. I'm with you...I don't know why anyone would put cams in it with a stock blower and it's not really a track type car...it's a pro touring/show car. If you track that car with the GR350 Suspensiong it may start to pull itself apart after a few years according to Bruce Griggs. It was just really too nice a car to open track other than fun days.

I got the car running and idling right, got the fuel trims right, got the idle control comp and integer correct for the airflow, ect ect. Put a set of shop wheels and tires on it and finished up wot. Car seems a bit light on power compared to all the other 03-04 cars I've done but its ball park. 20-21* 12-1 afr, tune looks good. Not sure what problems the other guys were running into but you never really get the whole story. Part throttle is good and the car has really good low speed manors again. Not sure why the cams with a stock blower and non ported heads.
Sounds like it's in good hands with you....I agree on the cams.

Other issues I noticed that I may or may not be tackling depending on what the owner wants to do,
Battery is pretty dead, doesn't really like to hold a charge and it cranks pretty slow
Every jam nut on the front suspension is loose
The passenger strut rod looks like it was attacked by an aluminum eating beaver
The tires are dead
It has a terrible driveshaft vibration above 100mph.
The tie rod end hits the lower control arm at or near lock. No real way to adjust a steering stop that I can see.
There is a hitch in the steering, a stiff spot through the range, it makes the car not want to auto center the wheel when you let go of it.
The down stream IAT's are higher than I'd like to see and it takes an age to pull them back down. The pumps running but flow seems down maybe? Not sure but we may investigate it, may not. This guy is not the dude to track this thing.
Most of the gauges do not work. Oil pressure gauge is flaky, water temp reads 30*'s hotter than ect sensor, tach does not work at all.
The hood is still a thing, starting to crack too around the passenger hinge.
The battery is an Odyssey and it's old...if I remember correctly that battery tray is specifically for an Odyssey battery
That suspension is a track suspension and should have regular inspections of all hardware, I told the owner this but doulbt he relayed it to the next guys
No idea on the strut rod, wonder if people were attaching a hook there while trailering it??
I told the owner years ago when he put the car on track at a charity event that I advised against it because the tires were old...he did it anyway.
The driveshaft was custom made and balanced, maybe check for a slung weight or impact damage of some sort
The tie rod ends aren't anything we noticed but it wasn't back much once finished...might be a question for Bruce Griggs regarding steering stop adjustment if needed
The hitch in the steering was something I noticed and it was supposed to come back for a look into that but never did
On the fuel pumps...if memory is correct I installed Y splitters with dual pumps...possible one has failed.
We had some issues with the oil pressure being intermittent at one time which was traced to a sending unit and was fixed. The guy that wired the guages it had traded out some labor with the owner...there were some things I wanted to redo but never got it back.
I patched the RH back corner of the hood with panel bonding adhesive as a temporary fix until the car could come back to build a new hood but again...never happened.

The car sat a lot and wasn't driven much...went to some shows and local events but never where we had hoped other than when I took it SEMA. The Fuel cell was bought by the owner second hand from the Auction from the company that built the Eleanor cars in Texas so I can't verify the age of the cell.

So its got a few issues, most of which look to me like they were caused by either too many cooks in the kitchen or someone who just doesn't know any better.

You sure did a nice job on this car. The stuff that has not been sabotaged is pretty spectacular. Fit and finish is top notch and there is alot of creativity and problem solving on display here. It all fits so well and looks so well, its almost unfortunate how subtle alot of the work is.
Nicely done sir.
It does sound like we've had a bunch of hands on it since it left here....One neat thing is that the engine can be removed and installed with the headers attached. One of the biggest things I had to overcome was getting exhaust out of the back of the car which is how I came up with the tunnel idea. I believe it's still the only car to ever have rear exit exhaust with the Griggs Watts link. I tend to like to do subtle mods to a car...things that almost go unnoticed by most. Thanks, It was big build....never intended to be that big until the donor car was found to be 2 cars welded together. It snowballed from being a pushrod 331 car to the Terminator when that engine popped up on Craigslist.
The following users liked this post:
05stangkc (12/15/23)