Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Caliper Banjo Movement Question

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 09:14 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Caliper Banjo Movement Question

KC, please move as needed since I may have posted in the wrong section. I have also posted in another forums website, in the event some folks see the same question being asked again

Issue: Front Caliper Banjo Bolts appear to move laterally slightly when steering wheels left or right -- is this normal?

Background: Replaced brake lines with Stainless Steel one. New hardware, banjos, crush washer etc. installed and torqued to specs, no leaks.

However, with the vehicle front tires off and vehicle running, I asked a buddy to turn (steer) slowly left or right to full lock. Upon watching the caliper turn, I noticed an ever so sligtly lateral movement of the banjo, not the bolt that hold the banjo, but the banjo itselt. The banjo movements appears to be lateral and accommodating as the caliper moved (yellow arrow on the pic). Is this normal?

Old Yesterday | 10:06 AM
The Analog Admin!

I Believe This Will Eventually Leak. Check Side to Side Movement / Fit with Bolt in Oem Hose Vs Aftermarket Hose. I Believe it Should Be Light Snug. I'm Talking Uninstalled. Is Bolt Made as OEM Replacement or Specifically For SS Hose?

BTMO

KC
Old Yesterday | 10:11 AM
The Analog Admin!

Also is Hose Riding on This Corner! If So a Little Grinding on Caliper Maybe Needed! Maybe Forcing Hose To Move???

Kc
Old Yesterday | 10:27 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Yes, that elbow bend is riding the caliper--on the pax side, not at all on the driver side. I wonder if I improperly torqued it?

Also, all hardware for this kit came with the SS lines.

KC, can you let me know the torque of that bolt that hold the Banjo? According to Haynes: "Brake hose-to-caliper banjo bolt" is 52 Ft-Lbs. Just need confirmation one way or another.
Old Yesterday | 10:29 AM
The Analog Admin!

I Was Already Getting Spec's!

Personally I Would Clearance Corner of Caliper. Just a Smidge as it Could Dig into Hose at Some Point.

Could Bend Hose a Tad But I Think it Would Be Safer To File Down To a Round Shape. Bending Could Damage Seal From Actual Banjo to Metal Hose.

Just a Little File Now!

Hose Could Be Misbuilt. Mod Would Likely Fix But You Could Send Pic To Supplier and See What They Say. Since One Side Clears and Other Does Not Seems Logical.

For Me This Has Dremel Tool Written All Over it! Make a Little Saddle Indent On Caliper!

FYI, Pdf's!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2006 Mustang Brake Pads.pdf (168.6 KB, 2 views)
2006 Mustang Brake Hose.pdf (120.8 KB, 2 views)
2006 Mustang Brake Specs.pdf (108.8 KB, 2 views)
Old Yesterday | 12:15 PM
Legacy Tms Member

I just sent the same pic to the supplier. In the meantime, I am not moving car. Thx as usual. Will post updates.

Update: I was able to losen the banjo/bolt and realign it with the caliper. It's no longer making contact. Which tells me I torqued it in the wrong position. I just ordered new crush washers so I get to do this again. Things you learn by DIY.....

Last edited by MadGT; Yesterday at 03:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rocknrod (Today)