Road Trips Scenic Road Trips By Member NC14GT & Others

2024 New England Vacation in GT (many photos)

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,081 Likes on 677 Posts
2024 New England Vacation in GT (many photos)

We were gone a little over 2 weeks in September. The GT ran perfectly and used no oil at all during the 3,300+ miles trip. The car's computer showed us getting 25.0 mpg and my wife's final calculations with receipts, etc came out to 24.1 mpg. I'm in awe at that mileage with a 400+ HP engine and A6 tranny. Zero complaints here.
We started off in Mystic CT and went to the various museums, the famous Mystic Pizza (movie w/ Julia Roberts) and nearby Stonington. Great weather and outstanding food everywhere.
Next up was Mt Washington in NH where my wife always wanted to check out the famous Omni grand hotel. It was horribly expensive but for two nights we know now what it feels like to be wealthy. Crazy good food with prices to match. Unreal weather with great visibility of Mt Washington which is known for it's insane weather conditions. It was freezing on top with high winds even on the best day we visited.
The Maine coast was up next and this area was our least favorite of the vacation. Too much traffic and our motel was a letdown after the NH experience. We really enjoyed visiting the lighthouse seen in Forrest Gump when he did his run around America. The top of the Penobscot River bridge was also very cool. Acadia NP sucked this time as you could not go to the top section without a reservation in advance. Still good views in spots but we have done it before.
A highlight was next with New Bedford, MA and visiting the whaling museum and doing a harbor tour. So much is based on the Moby Dick days and we walked in the ghost of Herman Melville when he sailed from New Bedford.
Cape Cod and mostly Provincetown was our last leg of the vacation. I've always enjoyed this area since spending a few summers here during my teens in the late 60's before the family moved to Florida. The real hippie days during the Woodstock era. Many memories.
On the way home we stopped and enjoyed a day at Knoebels Park in PA. We were rained out on the way up but had wonderful weather on this day.at the end. I did a follow-up about Knoebels in a separate thread.
Photos below with some writing under each.

Lighthouse in CT

Stonington CT

Charles Morgan whaling ship in Mystic CT

The famous pizza was really good!

Outside sign

The Omni at Mt Washington in NH

This was 1/2 a pastrami sandwich at the Omni. Insanely good!

Entrance area.

Incline railway at the top of Mt Washington

My wife was cold and fighting the wind at the summit.

Acadia NP in Maine

Visiting the Owl's Head museum

Mostly real old cars at the museum.

View from the top of the Penobscot River bridge tower.

Marshall Point lighthouse in Maine where Forrest Gump scene occurred.

Along the New Bedford waterfront

Our harbor tour was an hour full of history.

Famous New Bedford statue

Nauset Lighthouse on Cape Cod

Pilgrim Monument in Provincetown where the Pilgrims landed in 1620.

Arriving in P-town on beach road 6A

The famous MacMillan pier

Looking out to the MacMillan pier
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,084 Posts
looks like a great trip, thanks for the pics!

as a life-long newenglander I have been to many of those places, but I don't remember most of them ... only another year or so until I retire and then I hope to take some cool road trips like this; might as well start near home
NC14GT (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,790 Posts
Thanks for posting those very awesome pictures of your New England trip, Dave... I've never been anywhere close to the New England states before, but now that I've seen all the beautiful scenery, costal and historical landmarks pics you provided, I would most definitely enjoy visiting there someday for sure... Meanwhile, thanks once again

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; Yesterday at 02:33 PM.
NC14GT (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Thanks for posting those very awesome pictures of your New England trip, Dave... I've never been anywhere close to the New England states before, but now that I've seen all the beautiful landscape and costal pics you provided, I would most definitely enjoy visiting there someday for sure... Meanwhile, thanks once again
You definitely need to do that Rocky those states are beautiful!!!
NC14GT (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,081 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
You definitely need to do that Rocky those states are beautiful!!!
...and the roads are in the best condition we have ever experienced up there. I-95 in the past was usually a bumpy chassis killer but this trip was smooth as can be. Finally they did some work on this interstate which made the driving about 50% better. The other 50% is still rough with the traffic and crazy drivers. There seems to be no one driving the speed limit. The traffic in the slow right lanes is about 10 mph below while the left passing lanes are filled with 20+ mph over the limit Drivers tailgating you at every moment.. No happy spot or middle ground at about 65-70 mph speed limits..
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Unfortunately the biggest % of horrible roads is probably good old PA! Especially where I live the Amish horse and buggies destroy our roads! They literally grind ruts/channels into the roads which cause tram lining and very squirrely behavior by a solid rear axle car!

Last edited by Mustang Freak; Yesterday at 07:11 PM.
Old Today, 05:06 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Pretty cool pics!
NC14GT (Today)