Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2012 Mustang: dead battery, after Jump Start the dashboard is blinking all lights

Search this Thread

Old 8/14/24, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mustang: dead battery, after Jump Start the dashboard is blinking all lights

Hello,

Got a 2012 Mustang (manual transmission) that I recently acquired with 111,654 miles.

drove it for a couple weeks and it sat in the garage for a week, when I turned the key it wouldn’t start.

got my Noco power jump pack out and connected it, when I turned the key the engine cranked on. However the dashboard turned on for a few seconds , then began to blink all of the lights. The radio screen turned on to default settings.

powered off the engine. Tried it again.

same thing, dash board lights blinking like crazy. shows “—- miles to empty” and switches between other screens while the check engine light, and other sensor lights are flashing constantly. And this time, the radio screen did not power on, no A/C, only the dashboard kept blinking. I powered off the engine and let the car sit. I had to get a ride, for fear of the engine/car turnkng off on me mid-ride.

any help please?

is this the result of a dead dead battery? Or maybe an issue with the ECU?

please help. I’m new to the Mustang world. Will post a video soon..
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_6764.mov (17.00 MB, 1 views)

Last edited by chromehearts; Yesterday at 09:01 PM. Reason: Add video
Old 8/15/24, 03:01 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,708 Posts
I would have one of the auto stores check the strength of your battery first. I've had that same issue with my DD's but not with my pony. It was a bad battery and once replaced all was good. So hopefully this is where it starts and ends for you.
The following users liked this post:
chromehearts (8/15/24)
Old 8/15/24, 05:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,551 Likes on 1,062 Posts
Yeah, hopefully just a bad battery .... give it a really good charge and/or have it tested at an auto parts place. But be aware, I have had batteries fully load tested by Advance Auto and the battery showed good, but it actually was not. I was having trouble with the battery holding a charge, and when I replaced the battery, the problem went away (even though the battery had tested "good")

or you can check it yourself: give it a good charge (using a good charger), take it off the charger, then check the voltage across the terminals. It should be a little under 13 volts. Let it sit and check it again several hours later. If the voltage has dropped, you need a new battery.
chromehearts (8/15/24)
Old 8/15/24, 09:05 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,213 Posts
Check Battery For Date Code If It's Over 3 Years I Would Get a New One Regardless!

Make Sure Your Cables Are Clean Clean Clean!

KC
chromehearts (8/15/24)
Old 8/15/24, 01:35 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,756 Posts
Also, have your alternator tested along with the battery... Knowing your vehicle has over 111k miles, its very possible your alternator may need replaced, especially if its original from the factory...
The following 2 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
Bert (8/15/24), chromehearts (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
I would have one of the auto stores check the strength of your battery first. I've had that same issue with my DD's but not with my pony. It was a bad battery and once replaced all was good. So hopefully this is where it starts and ends for you.
so I charged up my battery with - a Noco 5A charger to 100% , started jt up but now it’s still having the same issue.
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Also, have your alternator tested along with the battery... Knowing your vehicle has over 111k miles, its very possible your alternator may need replaced, especially if its original from the factory...
so I charged up my battery with - a Noco 5A charger to 100% , started jt up but now it’s still having the same issue.
I wonder if it is the alternator causing this issue? I’m posting a video of the issue now. Please help
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Check Battery For Date Code If It's Over 3 Years I Would Get a New One Regardless!

Make Sure Your Cables Are Clean Clean Clean!

KC

checking the battery date now, it says 3/24, it’s practically a new battery only 5 months old.. someone on here replied saying it could be the alternator?

any other suggestions? 😢
Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
Yeah, hopefully just a bad battery .... give it a really good charge and/or have it tested at an auto parts place. But be aware, I have had batteries fully load tested by Advance Auto and the battery showed good, but it actually was not. I was having trouble with the battery holding a charge, and when I replaced the battery, the problem went away (even though the battery had tested "good")

or you can check it yourself: give it a good charge (using a good charger), take it off the charger, then check the voltage across the terminals. It should be a little under 13 volts. Let it sit and check it again several hours later. If the voltage has dropped, you need a new battery.

let me try this out. so I charged up my battery with - a Noco 5A charger to 100% , started jt up but now it’s still having the same issue.

I will test the battery voltage again soon. Maybe it’s a completely dead battery or a bad battery. Someone on here said it could be the alternator. Hmm. Any suggestions?
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,213 Posts
Need To Check For DTC & Body Codes! So A Good Scanner is A Must. As With All S-197's A Water Intrusion on The Sjb Can Cause a Lot of Issues As Well! A Peak Under The Cowl Might Be a Good Idea! Checking The Sjb as Well For Signs of Water Intrusion Would Be Good Peace of Mind To Avoid Future Issues!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...on-sjb-550481/

KC