Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Service Advancetrac PROBLEM SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/19, 04:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,039 Posts
Service Advancetrac PROBLEM SOLVED

Thank you so much to a helpful user on another forum for providing the clues I needed to find this issue!

I have been going nuts over an intermittent "Service Advancetrac" issue for years. Sometimes on a particular road track, my dash would light up with "SERVICE ADVANCETRAC" and all of the traction control, advancetrac, and ABS-related warning lights would come on. Also when that happens, it seemed the advancetrac system would come back on, even though I had previously turned it full off. (This causes some bad results on road track where you want to drive the car yourself without "help" from the computer.)

I posted about this in various forums and FB groups, and was told that it was a known issue with these cars on the track; and the cure was to replace the ABS module with a FR500S race module; but this would defeat the Advancetrac System completely and there would be a warning light on the dash; which would make my car fail Massachusetts' annual safety inspection -- not a good solution for me.

I have seen a few other people post about this issue, and I always relayed the information above. Somewhere along the way, Kraig1957 (and maybe one other person, I don't remember) posted that they had the issue, and it was caused by the ABS/advancetrac sensor wire hitting the exhaust, melting the wire loom and insulation, and shorting out. I looked under the car but all looked good for what I could see, without the car up on a lift.

Finally last night, I got the car up on jack stands high enough to really get under there and follow the wire -- and found the issue!

Sure enough, the wiring harness was melted; apparently from intermittent contact with the exhaust. I was thrown off by the fact that the problem only showed itself on the road track, so I thought it was somehow caused by that. Apparently, only on the track were the cornering forces high enough to make the wire hit the exhaust.

Photos attached -- way up under the car, above the area where the exhaust loops up and over the axle on the driver side, is the spot where the wire loom was melted.

close up of melted wire that causes Service Advancetrac issue

wider view showing where the wire is located, above the exhaust on the driver side
Old 6/27/19, 05:48 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Great that you found it! Wiring/electrical is troublesome to diagnose, especially as our cars continue to become more and more complex/
Old 6/27/19, 06:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Damit Ford. Glad you got it fixed.
Old 6/27/19, 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Good to know. Now is there any shielding, or way to run the wire so this doesn't happen in the first place?
The following users liked this post:
MGGood (1/11/21)
Old 6/27/19, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Some aluminum tape over that section of wire would help. Good find and glad you got it!
Old 6/28/19, 05:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

yeah that would be a good idea, anything would be better than duct tape, LOL . . . maybe I'll crawl under there again soon but for now it seems to be fine . . . the real test will be in SCCA Time Trials at Thompson (which was the track where it all started) next weekend
Old 8/18/21, 12:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
Thank you so much to a helpful user on another forum for providing the clues I needed to find this issue!

I have been going nuts over an intermittent "Service Advancetrac" issue for years. Sometimes on a particular road track, my dash would light up with "SERVICE ADVANCETRAC" and all of the traction control, advancetrac, and ABS-related warning lights would come on. Also when that happens, it seemed the advancetrac system would come back on, even though I had previously turned it full off. (This causes some bad results on road track where you want to drive the car yourself without "help" from the computer.)

I posted about this in various forums and FB groups, and was told that it was a known issue with these cars on the track; and the cure was to replace the ABS module with a FR500S race module; but this would defeat the Advancetrac System completely and there would be a warning light on the dash; which would make my car fail Massachusetts' annual safety inspection -- not a good solution for me.

I have seen a few other people post about this issue, and I always relayed the information above. Somewhere along the way, Kraig1957 (and maybe one other person, I don't remember) posted that they had the issue, and it was caused by the ABS/advancetrac sensor wire hitting the exhaust, melting the wire loom and insulation, and shorting out. I looked under the car but all looked good for what I could see, without the car up on a lift.

Finally last night, I got the car up on jack stands high enough to really get under there and follow the wire -- and found the issue!

Sure enough, the wiring harness was melted; apparently from intermittent contact with the exhaust. I was thrown off by the fact that the problem only showed itself on the road track, so I thought it was somehow caused by that. Apparently, only on the track were the cornering forces high enough to make the wire hit the exhaust.

Photos attached -- way up under the car, above the area where the exhaust loops up and over the axle on the driver side, is the spot where the wire loom was melted.

wider view showing where the wire is located, above the exhaust on the driver side
My 2011 GT is displaying "CHECK BRAKE SYSTEM", "SERVICE ADVANCETRAC", "BRAKE FLUID LEVEL LOW"...but brake fluid is full. Also getting icons that traction control is off and stability control is off.
I checked the wires, but disappointedly they AREN'T melted.
Old 8/18/21, 12:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

that sounds like a different and bigger issue and I would only be guessing about what might be causing it, but another thing to check: the wheel speed sensors on each wheel . . . you can find them by following the wire
Old 8/18/21, 04:27 PM

that sounds like a different and bigger issue and I would only be guessing about what might be causing it, but another thing to check: the wheel speed sensors on each wheel . . . you can find them by following the wire
thanks Bert.
I’m thinking bad brake fluid level sensor, or bad connector, or problem with BC module.
The error code of low brake fluid (when fluid is full) is the smoking gun I guess.
Bert (8/19/21)
Old 8/31/21, 04:06 PM

I replaced the Brake Fluid Sensor.
Problem solved!
NTK BF0066; $20.

Bert (8/31/21)
Old 8/31/21, 08:20 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,664 Posts
Awesome!!!
11BluGT (9/1/21)
Old 9/1/21, 06:08 AM

It's nice when the simple, cheap solution works!
It's also nice not be greeted by warning chimes, "brake fluid low", "service Advancetrack", "Check Brake System", and Error icons for Traction Control and Stability Control when I start the car.
Kind of ironic that a sensor meant to make the car safer (by detecting when brake fluid is low) actually makes the car LESS SAFE when the sensor fails (by disabling stability control and traction control).

Last edited by 11BluGT; 9/1/21 at 06:12 AM.
Bert (9/1/21)
Old 1/3/22, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advance Trac

[QUOTE=Bert;7042579]Thank you so much to a helpful user on another forum for providing the clues I needed to find this issue!

wider view showing where the wire is located, above the exhaust on the driver side. I have the exact same problem with it showing on my dash but when i went underneath my stang none of the wiring was melted its all in one piece it is fine but i still get the light on my dash ???
Old 1/4/22, 04:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JasonV17
. . . I have the exact same problem with it showing on my dash but when i went underneath my stang none of the wiring was melted its all in one piece it is fine but i still get the light on my dash ???
Then apparently/unfortunately it is something else . . . assuming you already looked way up behind the exhaust on both sides (I missed it the first two times I looked), I would check the other things involved, such as the wheel sensors and the brake fluid sensor as was mentioned by another user earlier in this thread.

Also, since it is NOT this mysterious wiring fault that nobody can find, a dealer diagnostic might help identify the issue.

Old 6/30/24, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ford designers are such a bunch of Asshats!!!