Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Advancetrac issue after TNiA?

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/21, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advancetrac issue after TNiA?

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum but not to forums in general, so I've done some searching and can't seem to find a thread detailing my exact issue - that said I decided to make a post. I have a 2012 GT 6-speed with 21k miles - it has a fairly extensive list of mods: Airaid CAI, Bama tune, LTH over-axle pipes, Roush axle-back, Ford Performance sway bars, Koni Yellow adjustables, H&R Super Sport springs, Stoptech slotted cryo rotors and G-loc R8s on the front, and Nitto 555 G2s. I'm not setting the car up for any specific discipline, I'm just trying to make it a rowdy street car that I can take to the strip or the road course once in a while. I did a Track Night in America event on Friday at Road Atlanta and it was a blast - it was the second one with the car but the first with the Konis, H&Rs and upgraded front brakes and the car performed flawlessly until the last session. I had the "Service Advancetrac" error come up during the session and I'm assuming (have been working since and haven't had time to get the car up in the air and look) that the wire loom got against the exhaust and shorted out the system similar to this thread here:

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...solved-546958/

I pitted when the error came up, parked in the paddock and shut the car off. I let it cool off for a bit while I packed up my stuff and when I started to leave the error was gone. Got to the hotel and researched, found the above thread and decided that was my issue - problem solved, right? Well, yesterday on my way home from the track (worked the SCCA July Regional on pit and grid) I noticed that the car seems like it's behing "held back" somehow - almost like the brakes are dragging very slightly. I stopped off at an exit and there's no smoke, no funny brake smell, no blue-ing of the rotors, just normal heat from an hour or so drive. I don't think this is a mechanical issue - I'm wondering if I'm still having issues where the car is trying to engage the traction control if the loom is indeed damaged? I know this is a little speculative because I haven't confirmed any damage to the loom yet, but my problem almost exactly mimics Bert's, so I'm 99% confident that's my issue. The only other thing of note, is that since the issue on Friday, sometimes on the shift from 1st to 2nd the car will have that "sharkbite" feeling where it's running along at normal speed and it's almost like you lightly touch the brake or slightly back the throttle. Is there anyway to erase the "Service Advancetrac" code from the car's memory, or is it "gone" when the error no longer pops up? I know some OBD codes will be stored for analysis by the computer and not trigger a CE light, but will it do it with this code as well? Sorry for the long post, but wanted to get as much info as I can out there and see if anyone else has experienced this. It could be my imagination and me just being paranoid because of the issue on the track, but I could've sworn it felt like the car was down about 20-30 hp on the drive home. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

-Mark
Old 7/26/21, 10:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,502 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Hi, glad you found that thread . . . and an amazing coincidence: the issue first happened to me on road track also; I don't think the first time was Track Night in America, but it did drive me crazy during TNiA until I finally figured it out. It seemed like it would happen after a super tight right-hand hairpin turn, which led to all kinds of speculation about the car not liking what I was doing, I was over-driving, and so on and so forth . . . I went down a lot of rabbit holes until I finally got under there and looked.

I guess a wiring fault could cause the system to receive bad signals and do all kinds of weird things in response to those signals. But I don't think there is any stored error condition; for me it always cleared as soon as I moved the car, after shutting it down and then starting it up again. Or the car might have felt slow on the way home, because you were going slow compared to what you were just doing on track.

I'll be interested to hear if you do actually have the same issue that I had, or if it turns out to be something different.
Old 8/8/21, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@Bert I was able to tear into the car last week and I did indeed have the burned wires, but mine were on the passenger's side. I fixed the wires and that didn't solve anything, but I finally fixed the issue - I had to buy an ELM327 scan tool and download the FORScan software and clear the ABS module codes. It was driving me nuts that I couldn't figure it out, and the guys over on the S197 forum helped me out with the scanner info. I'd say that it's a good investment to have if you don't already own one, especially for those of us that want to track the car occasionally. Here's a link to the scanner if anyone is interested:

Amazon Amazon

Hope this helps someone if they have a similar issue!

-Mark
The following users liked this post:
Bert (8/17/21)
Old 8/8/21, 03:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
I have the same Adapter for using ForScan on up F150, a lot more can be done on 2011 F150 and the S550 Mustangs than the S197. But it does get rid of the all the codes including ABS going way back.
Old 8/8/21, 10:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I bought one of those things, but haven't yet tried it out. I'm lookin' forward to playin' with it.