2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Cleaning the dang wheels. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/17, 01:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Cleaning the dang wheels. Need advice.

OK you experts out there, I need some help. I'm sure these wheels have a clear coat on them, but they have some minor discoloration around all four. I tried some Dura-Gloss cleaner wax, and some Mother's wheel detail wax with very little success. Once again thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

Old 1/13/17, 04:11 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Jim ! Your wheels are indeed clear coated, as are all OEM's.. Unfortunately however I don't have a solution for wheel discoloration.. You may want to contact Maguiars or Mothers tech support dept or perhaps one of the wheel manufacturer's support dept, as they would be the experts who would know best..

-Rocky
Old 1/13/17, 07:22 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Unhappy Yup

If it is like mine, it is under the clear coat
You may need to take off the clear coat and have it professionally redone.
Or you can have them chromed
I bought spare wheels
I don't think they sell them anymore.
Old 1/14/17, 12:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Jim ! Your wheels are indeed clear coated, as are all OEM's.. Unfortunately however I don't have a solution for wheel discoloration.. You may want to contact Maguiars or Mothers tech support dept or perhaps one of the wheel manufacturer's support dept, as they would be the experts who would know best..

-Rocky
Thanks Rocky, I didn't think of that.

Originally Posted by karman
If it is like mine, it is under the clear coat
You may need to take off the clear coat and have it professionally redone.
Or you can have them chromed
I bought spare wheels
I don't think they sell them anymore.
Karmin, that's what I was afraid of. If Rocky's suggestion doesn't pan out, that may just be a good reason to look for some new wheels. Yeah, that's the ticket. I'm sure my dearest would go for that.

Last edited by wanted33; 1/14/17 at 12:21 PM.
Old 1/14/17, 02:03 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
if budget is a concern, cant beat NTO.

years ago, they had new wheels/tires for 299 shipped, i kick myself for not getting a set...
http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_oe...wheels-24.aspx

removing clear is not fun, doubt a set could be stripped/polished/recleared for what NTO charges

i need a 240.00 set to replace the wifes, she wants it stock, but her wheels are really beat up from weights going thru clearcoat... if you get a NTO set, touch up any clear scratches they may have from original weights, and have them tape balanced. once salt gets under the clear, they gotta be stripped. i did peel, sand reclear a spot on one once, it didnt look terrible, but you could still see where it had been worked.
I got a set of the big honeycomb wheels for our 65, as the lips were pretty flat, was able to squeeze them into my lathe and skim cut the clear off, saved a ton of time- i didnt reclear either, as pitting will eventually happen again- with bare polished, you can always just rebuff them- bad thing is a monthly light polishing necessary or the elbow grease required goes up fast

good luck- tim

Last edited by ford4v429; 1/14/17 at 02:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (1/15/17)
Old 1/14/17, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33
Thanks Rocky, I didn't think of that.

Karmin, that's what I was afraid of. If Rocky's suggestion doesn't pan out, that may just be a good reason to look for some new wheels. Yeah, that's the ticket. I'm sure my dearest would go for that.
Jim ! If my suggestion doesn't work out, I'm quite sure your wife will fully support your reason for getting some new wheels.. Anyway If your still interested in the Niche Apex M125's ? Stage3motorsports carries them in stock for $200.00 ea. Here's the link below

-Rocky

http://www.stage3motorsports.com//M1...25-Silver.html

Originally Posted by ford4v429
if budget is a concern, cant beat NTO.

years ago, they had new wheels/tires for 299 shipped, i kick myself for not getting a set...
http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_oe...wheels-24.aspx

removing clear is not fun, doubt a set could be stripped/polished/recleared for what NTO charges

i need a 240.00 set to replace the wifes, she wants it stock, but her wheels are really beat up from weights going thru clearcoat... if you get a NTO set, touch up any clear scratches they may have from original weights, and have them tape balanced. once salt gets under the clear, they gotta be stripped. i did peel, sand reclear a spot on one once, it didnt look terrible, but you could still see where it had been worked.
I got a set of the big honeycomb wheels for our 65, as the lips were pretty flat, was able to squeeze them into my lathe and skim cut the clear off, saved a ton of time- i didnt reclear either, as pitting will eventually happen again- with bare polished, you can always just rebuff them- bad thing is a monthly light polishing necessary or the elbow grease required goes up fast

good luck- tim
The $299 pricing you posted, is this for the entire set or for each wheel ? As I just want to make certain your post wasn't misinterpreted on my part..
wanted33 (1/15/17)
Old 1/23/17, 04:48 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
The $299 pricing you posted, is this for the entire set or for each wheel ? As I just want to make certain your post wasn't misinterpreted on my part..
that was back in 2006, yes, it was only 299 shipped for 4 new takeoff wheels and tires...they were practically giving them away.

i didnt get the wheels(wish i would have!), but did get a spare pair of vista blue gt bumpers, cloth seats, mufflers, intake manifold, rotors, clutch, rockers, black rear wings, shift *****... think spent like 800 for all of it- they had some seriously cheap parts, but mostly gone now...

now cheapest option is 240 for 4 bare wheels- still not a bad deal for new factory wheels.
Old 1/23/17, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ford4v429
that was back in 2006, yes, it was only 299 shipped for 4 new takeoff wheels and tires...they were practically giving them away.

i didnt get the wheels(wish i would have!), but did get a spare pair of vista blue gt bumpers, cloth seats, mufflers, intake manifold, rotors, clutch, rockers, black rear wings, shift *****... think spent like 800 for all of it- they had some seriously cheap parts, but mostly gone now...

now cheapest option is 240 for 4 bare wheels- still not a bad deal for new factory wheels.
$240.00 for 4 wheels is most definitely an excellent deal when it comes to new OEM quality factory wheels for sure

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/23/17 at 06:32 PM.
wanted33 (1/24/17)