2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm buying a 2006 GT. So I wanted to ask.

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/16, 02:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
I'm buying a 2006 GT. So I wanted to ask.

The car has been very well cared for, and doesn't look like a car with 89K miles. So, I thought I would come to those with experience, and ask is there anything outside the regular maintenance I need to look for with that many miles. The car is tight, with no rattles. The steering, tranny, brakes, rear end, etc. are quiet, and the engine is still strong with no worrisome noises. Thanks in advance.

Jim

BTW, we do have a 13' GT (my avatar) that the wife drives. I'm buying this one as a little project so I can stay out of trouble. I retired a few years ago, and need to stay out on the wife's hair at times.
Old 12/31/16, 02:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks anyways my friends. After a little searching I came across this thread. It seems to answer every question one could have.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...483408/index5/
Old 12/31/16, 09:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Spark plugs been done? Any bubbles under the paint on the hood/trunk?
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (1/1/17)
Old 12/31/16, 11:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Well, if it helps, my '06 GT is hittin' 143K and the only 'common' thing that I can report is the alternator/battery combo (but once done right, they seem to just quit being an issue, in my case... see my post in here: https://themustangsource.com/forums/...458833/index4/)

I also had a strange issue where the right side outer axle bearing went out. Thankfully just had it dug out and replaced both as needed. 75K on that. Axle itself was *pristine*. Elated at that. No metal either, so that's good.

She also ate all the rotors when the original pads went out, and I never heard a *sound* or felt any difference until I noticed grooves. And I was trying to catch them before that, at every tire swap... but still. Meh. So watch for that.

Past that, the usual suspects of ball joints which were weak from '05-07, I think, upon which get thee some GT500 front control arms. Rear lower control arms (and possible upper) replace with better ones for wheel hop and the rubber deteriorating. I used BMRs, work great. Also, front sway bar front mount rubbers went out pretty quickly, making rattles. I recommend polyurethane replacements, if not an upgraded, bigger sway bar and better bushings, like I did.

On all those, you can certainly go with stock, but...

Notchy shifter if you have the TR3650, syncrhos aren't all that, but stout transmission otherwise. Clutch master cylinder, inspect the 'eyelet' that is mounted to the pedal for cracks, and replace the cylinder if needed. I didn't know this, but when it let go and cracked in half, leaving me no clutch? Yeah. Something I'll check at tire swaps now.

Automagic is what it is if you have that.

Pretty much it on mine. I drive mine all the time. Daily driver. These have been the only things I can think of being a problem on her. Heck, she still has the original clutch in. Also, no leaks that I can find. Everything pretty much is still working fine. And the Shaker 500 still works fine (now I've jinxed it, dangit, watch.)

Others have had the drain near the cabin air filter get plugged up, so check that. And some have had weather strip on the door start leaking, which might get in the SJB on the right side kick panel.

Oh, and that pesky airbag recall for both sides.

I'm sure there's others, but that's mine. I am fairly (word that starts with 'a' that references a particular body part in the nether regions what has a sphincter muscle) about her maintenance. Belts, fluids, filters, tire swaps, brake pads, etc, so maybe that's helping.

Hope that helps you!
wanted33 (1/1/17)
Old 1/1/17, 08:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks guys, I do appreciate the help.

Gravy, The radio works fine. We're going out for another drive Monday, and I told the wife to remind me to take a CD along.

Laser, The hood, and paint look good all around. And the plugs will be done if I bring her home. Thanks for the reminder.

Houtex, Thanks for the boost of faith. I've seen these cars for sale with well over 150K but, I didn't know how much work they took to get there. I expect this car to give me that with no problem as well as it looks to be cared for. And as you mentioned the brake rotors, I noticed these are grooved also. Those will be on my list. And yep, the airbags. The wife's '13 is on the recall too.

I'll checked all the thing you good folks have mentioned for sure. If the dealer gets his heart right on the price, I expect I'll buy it tomorrow. Of course, he'll have to wait for the banks to open Tuesday.

On a side note. We test drove the 2006 along with a 2010 GT. When we got back to the lot in the '06, the wife said I like this one better. We were both thinking the same thing. When we drove the '10 it was just like driving her car (except for the trans), and something different was definitely needed for the fun factor. What a woman. (plus, a savings of 5K was a plus also) I'll keep ya'll updated.
Old 1/1/17, 04:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

BTW, I need to ask what maybe a "dumb" question. My last manual was in a 1965 Chev. Impala, so I'm not to up to date on maintenance for one. I've looked through an online owners manual, but can't find/see any maintenance schedule in the thing anywhere. Is there a need to replace the fluid in the manual tranny of these cars?
Old 1/2/17, 11:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
BTW, I need to ask what maybe a "dumb" question. My last manual was in a 1965 Chev. Impala, so I'm not to up to date on maintenance for one. I've looked through an online owners manual, but can't find/see any maintenance schedule in the thing anywhere. Is there a need to replace the fluid in the manual tranny of these cars?
I've been thinking of changing out the fluid in mine come this spring. I was also thinking of using a short throw shifter. Not that it's needed. I have an 06 Manual shift and I completely enjoy it. Best of luck.
Old 1/2/17, 11:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for all of your help, and info my friends. After a little lovers disagreement it looked like my heart would be broken in half. But, after we hugged it out the love returned, and they made the union work. I'll bring her home tomorrow. I post some pics when the weather clears.

Jim

Last edited by wanted33; 1/2/17 at 12:11 PM.
Old 1/3/17, 08:25 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 948 Likes on 576 Posts
Just came across this thread. Good luck with everything Jim. The only thing I would have added was about the history of the car. Hopefully just a one or two owner car with clean looking fluids and hopefully not beaten too hard. Looking forward to the photos.
Old 1/3/17, 12:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Just came across this thread. Good luck with everything Jim. The only thing I would have added was about the history of the car. Hopefully just a one or two owner car with clean looking fluids and hopefully not beaten too hard. Looking forward to the photos.

Thank you my Tar Heel brother. The little car is solid, and has been well cared for. Fluids are good, but with my OCD I'm going to have them all changed. An oil change tomorrow, and new tires Monday would make any normal person happy if you know what I mean. However, I just can't stop at that.

BTW, a member of our coffee house liar clubs ask why I needed another vehicle (this is #5 ). I told him it was much cheaper, and a lot less trouble than a 25 year old blonde.

Last edited by wanted33; 1/3/17 at 12:28 PM.
Old 1/4/17, 08:23 AM

^^ Yes it is!!
By the way, what tires are you buying?? I'm getting due and Goodyear doesn't make the GT all-season anymore. I saw an incredible buy (close-out) on Tire Rack for the Goodyear GS-D3 but I want to stay with an all-season performance tire (not made in China).
Old 1/4/17, 03:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

^^ Yes it is!!
By the way, what tires are you buying?? I'm getting due and Goodyear doesn't make the GT all-season anymore. I saw an incredible buy (close-out) on Tire Rack for the Goodyear GS-D3 but I want to stay with an all-season performance tire (not made in China).
Sent you a PM my friend.
Old 1/6/17, 12:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well, this little car is better than I thought. It's keeping me of of the wife's hair as I hoped also. Heck, she's a good sport about my car addiction anyhow. As of now changed the oil, replaced the belt, cleaned the throttle body (that thing was filthy), and the MAF sensor. Much better throttle response after the cleaning. Next is the fuel filter along with other fluid changes. New tires going on Monday, then we're taking to Myrtle Beach, SC for a little test run.

I took it to my local Ford dealer for the oil change as it's near a cheap as buying the oil/filter myself, and I get to walk around drinking coffee and looking at the new Mustangs. The Tech, with me tagging along went over everything under the car while it was up. Everything was in excellent shape. This thing is going to be a fun play toy for this old guy.

I appreciate all the info guys. You folks along with the DIY You Tube videos are of great help.

Last edited by wanted33; 1/6/17 at 12:34 PM.
Old 1/7/17, 12:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Pics??
Old 1/7/17, 01:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Old 1/7/17, 07:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Pics??
Originally Posted by GrnT
I deserve that.

Last edited by wanted33; 1/7/17 at 07:47 AM.
Old 1/7/17, 07:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
I think everyone pretty much nailed it. I'm sure you already read about changing the two piece spark plugs too. The only other thing i can think of is the fuel fill up issue, but not everyone has it.
wanted33 (1/7/17)
Old 1/7/17, 07:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
I think everyone pretty much nailed it. I'm sure you already read about changing the two piece spark plugs too. The only other thing i can think of is the fuel fill up issue, but not everyone has it.
Thanks for the tip on the plugs my friend. I thought about replacing the plugs myself, but without the proper tools I think those would be better left to the ones with tools.

And, haven't put gas in it yet. But, I'll find out about the fill up issue soon.
Old 1/7/17, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the photos. Looks real nice!!
Fuel filter is a smart move. We changed ours at 30k miles, and despite our getting top tier name brand fuel, it was still dirty. Lord knows what you pick up on vacations along the interstates, etc...
Old 1/7/17, 09:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for the photos. Looks real nice!!
Fuel filter is a smart move. We changed ours at 30k miles, and despite our getting top tier name brand fuel, it was still dirty. Lord knows what you pick up on vacations along the interstates, etc...

Ordered a fuel filter yesterday Dave. I wanted to buy local (Motorcraft filter), and the stores wanted $17-20. I'm not in a hurry (snow on the ground here, and cold as a Witches you know what), so I found one on Fleabay for 9 bucks shipped. I would have went a dollar or two more to buy locally, but...........

Last edited by wanted33; 1/7/17 at 09:42 AM.