05-09 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics 2005-2009 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics

2005-2009 Mustang My Color Gt-500 Gauge Option Q&A Has Some Good Pics

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/07, 12:58 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2005-2009 Mustang My Color Gt-500 Gauge Option Q&A Has Some Good Pics

Ok, call me stupid or just preoccupied when I went on the test drive because I hadn't driven a stick in 10 years but does anyone have any ideas for adding a oil pressure and voltmeter gauge to an 08 GT?

I can't believe that a car like this has a base gauge package but I guess it has to do with not having the "Driver information center" package because it looks like the full gauge cluster has the bigger LCD screen under the Speedo. Since I no have, I no get full gauge package...

ANyway I don't like idiot lights so if someone has dealt with adding on gauges I'd surely be appreciative if they'd share the info.

I'm thinking about an A-Pillar gauge pod, not because I want to look like a ricer but rather so I don't mess with the dash. I just want a few more engine monitors is all..

Thanks!
Old 10/23/07, 03:35 AM

do a search on the forums, you can upgrade your cluster to an IUP cluster, which has an oil and voltmeter guage in the middle as well as the fuel and temp gauges. The message center on the IUP cluster is underneath the speedo. While you're at it, you could get the GT500 cluster, which has the tach on the right side instead of the left.
Old 10/23/07, 04:33 AM
GT Member

Thanks!

Is it a drop in or a dealer install only thing? Any reflash necessary to make it work? I would assume the sending units for the idiot light and the gauge are different.
Old 10/23/07, 12:50 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
You could do a A-Pillar gauge like this.
Attachment 34624
Attached Thumbnails 2005-2009 Mustang My Color Gt-500 Gauge Option Q&A Has Some Good Pics-dscf0180.jpg  
Old 10/23/07, 12:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Or a CDC that fits on the dash ...
Attached Thumbnails 2005-2009 Mustang My Color Gt-500 Gauge Option Q&A Has Some Good Pics-steerwheelcap-2-.jpg  
Old 10/23/07, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

man that wood treatment is nice. haven't seen that around much.
Old 10/23/07, 04:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Jim,

Ask me any questions you want. I've done a lot of reading on these cars since I bought both my '05s last October.

Back on the subject, I replaced my '05 IUP (Interior Upgrade Package) instrument cluster, which includes the message center, to a GT500 cluster. I'm soooo used to having the speedo on the left and tach on the right (Camaro, eh!) that I could never get used to having the speedo on the right. The GT500 cluster reverses these two. I also like the ability to set the shift light with the message center buttons, a feature the GT IUP cluster does not have. You can turn it on/off, set the chime on/off and also the rpm. I then took my GT cluster and installed it into my wife's non-IUP V6.

The cluster itself is very simple to remove/install. BUT it has to be done at a dealership because they need to download "data" from your current cluster and upload it into the new one. If you don't currently have the IUP cluster, pull off the plastic dummy plate where the message center buttons normally are. A small flathead screwdriver will do the trick. If you have a wiring harness connected to the dummy plate, your car is pre-wired for the IUP/message center cluster!

As far as installing a cluster with gauges into a non-gauge car, there are no sending units that need to be changed out -- not like the old days. In fact, a V8 (GT) cluster will work in a V6 car. I mean the tach, speedo, gauges, etc. The "data" that's transferred to the new cluster contains all the information that allowed it to function correctly in the new car. Pretty cool....
Attached Thumbnails 2005-2009 Mustang My Color Gt-500 Gauge Option Q&A Has Some Good Pics-4407.jpg  
Old 10/23/07, 06:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
awsome Willie how much does a gt500 cluster cost? I want one
Old 10/23/07, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Glenn,

I paid $223 from Steve @ Tousley Ford. I believe shipping was around $10. Be forewarned that there is a huge core charge of $300. However, ANY S197 instrument cluster can be shipped back to Tousley to receive the $300 back. I shipped my non-IUP 2-gauge V6 cluster back and got my core charge back. And then there's the dealership's labor.... I paid a whopping $190 (for each car). It probably took around 15 minutes to do each car....

Here's one more pic. It shows one more color setting no other cluster has. It's called "R-W-B"....

Willie
Attached Thumbnails 2005-2009 Mustang My Color Gt-500 Gauge Option Q&A Has Some Good Pics-4379.jpg  
Old 10/23/07, 08:33 PM
GT Member

Lightbulb

Thanks for all the replies!
I looked up the SOS pod option too. I like the idea of the pods being matched to the interior. The cdc doesn't look like it would work too well for me.

Probably cost me more to get the factory pieces ordered and installed but it's still an option I'm weighing. I want something that looks like it belongs there.

The only downside of the pod option is figuring out where to hook them up. I've got full mechanical gauges in my 74 El Camino but that thing was easy since I had to build a new harness for it anyway. Much easier harness too.

Anyway,had I not asked in this forum I would not have had a clue that there were options out there. Thank You!

Old 10/24/07, 05:58 AM

That looks awesome... only problem is that I'm trying to keep every stock part of my car handy in case the new '10-'11 mustang is something I "have" to buy. Think this would devalue the resale at all, even slightly? Or would most people either be too dumb to notice the difference or into mustangs enough that this is a bonus?

I think I just answered my own question. Gotta get it now.
Old 10/24/07, 11:32 PM
GT Member

Well I have a few "collector" cars and friends and neighbors who do as well. The general thinking is that if it's a factory part, installed by the dealer it won't devalue the car at all come time to run it across Barret-Jackson or Silver auctions.

The SOS pods may be differerent but since that particular part replaces a factory part, you could always take the extra gauges out and the SOS piece and put the original back in.

I kind of look at it as though I was doing a lease instead of owning it. If you're worried at all about resale don't put anything in you can't easily take back out. If you do put something more "permanent" in make sure the factory offered it that way.

Just my .02

Old 10/25/07, 12:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't see having the GT500 gauges devaluing the car. Sure, the regular GT didn't come that way, but it is clearly a nicer gauge cluster. It might be devalued at a Barret Jackson auction for not being original, but selling to John Doe I would think it could even command a premium. Like a nice custom paint job. It's not original, and some might not like it that way, but for others, they would be willing to pay more for it.
Old 10/26/07, 03:00 AM
GT Member

To be honest, I've never known anyone who'd pay more for a car because it was customized. Actually for the Joe Public's out there it tends to scare them away. You can try to prove your competence but to them it's still not factory. Even I'd have reservations about such a car. Things like the GT500 gauges are fine because they'd never raise an eyebrow to joe public and the enthusisasts would appreciate the upgrade and know it was a factory and therefore compatible part that doesn't harm the vehicle.

Now take one of those riced up imports with oversized gauges hanging from every A-pillar, 10000 watt stereo with 30 inch subs, 20K paint job slammed to push beer cans down the road and you've got a ride that may be cool to some but those people you're impressing probably couldn't afford to buy it for what you have in it. Take it back to XYZ import dealer and they'll give you 2x less than book because they can't do anything with it and suddenly you find that you either better drive it till the wheels fall off or give it away for a few hundred bucks.

It's a whole lot different than say a year-one camaro or resto-rod. You know, the type you see on Overhaulin. There's a larger general market for something that isn't so custom that only the current driver can stand it. Still take the "foosed" 68 Mustang to the Ford dealer and he's gonna give you a grand tops. He's not your market, the fans of Overhaulin are.

In short, make it any way you want it but don't expect to get more for it because you made it better unless you have a motivated market ready to take it off your hands.

The old creedo of restoration is that you never get back what you put into it and it's true. I've had my 74 El Camino for 17 years and have dumped about 20 grand into it and god only knows how many man hours. If I went to sell it today I'd be lucky to get 5 grand for it. Worse, I have it insured with Hagerty for 15K because it would take me that much money just to get started building another one and it still wouldn't bring more than 5K.
Old 10/26/07, 11:36 PM

I've done a few of those single pod custom jobs lately, and it seems quite a few people are using one Aeroforcetech gauge. It would monitor all your desired functions and more. Single cable, I'm told it's a 30 minute install. Check them out sometime.

In regards to the ability to return to stock, every product from SOS is designed to allow a 100% return to stock, with no trace. It's something that is important to me.
Old 10/27/07, 12:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by speedofsound
I've done a few of those single pod custom jobs lately, and it seems quite a few people are using one Aeroforcetech gauge. It would monitor all your desired functions and more. Single cable, I'm told it's a 30 minute install. Check them out sometime.

In regards to the ability to return to stock, every product from SOS is designed to allow a 100% return to stock, with no trace. It's something that is important to me.
I will check them out for sure. As for the SOS pods, That's in the running if I can't find a dealer service dept. I can trust. Im in central AZ. and after the battle I had with Earnhardt Ford just buying the car I'm kind of not looking forward to going back to them for anything. It was 5 hours and 3 times getting up and walking out the door before they made the deal I wanted. It all worked out great in the end but I kind of don't want to give them the opportunity to get back at me..

Anybody in the PHX, AZ area recommend a great Ford Service dept??
Old 9/29/23, 11:14 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,938 Posts
Updated Title For Better Searchability!