Repair & Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

GT Convertible Rear Window Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/20, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT Convertible Rear Window Replacement

First time posting but it has been a pain in the butt.
About a month ago the rear window in my 2015 GT Convertible came out at the car wash. It dented and scratched the trunk lid when it came off.
I have taken this car through the same car wash on average about twice a month since I got it brand new in April of 2015. The first 4.5 years I was going back to school so I didn't have time to do anything else.

You would think replacing the rear window was not a major issue but....

Apparently the entire top has to be replaced. I called a couple of glass shops, upholstery shops, and the dealership; they all said a new top was needed.
This was not what I was wanting to hear. Time to deal with the insurance and see if the car wash will offer anything.

The car wash never called back after several attempts to contact them. I wasn't expecting much but they could have called back and told me to pound sand. Thanks Super Star Car Wash.

The insurance would cover 100% if it was just the glass but since the entire top has to be replaced and the top is considered a wear item I have to come more out of pocket above my deductible. OK, fine I need a rear window.

Off to the dealer we go. Total price to have the top replaced at the dealership with factory parts: $6,900.00. The insurance did cover a good portion but I really didn't want to replace the top at this point.

4 weeks later I get the car back. While I was at the dealership I could see glue residue on the outside of the car. They take it back to clean it up while I wait. An hour later and the residue is gone from the paint but the interior is filthy.
I take the car home and start going over it and hear is what I find.

Small cut in headliner

Large cut and multiple holes in headliner

Large cut and small holes

This is all the dealer could get out

Is this glue? Multiple spots in the carpet and on other trim pieces.

All of the clips are broken.

They broke the clips and tried to hold it in place with double sided tape.

Old 8/26/20, 07:02 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,209 Likes on 1,650 Posts
Wow just wow! I'd be going ballistic with the stealership seriously it's time for an arz chewing! Best of luck to you!
Old 8/27/20, 06:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your troubles. When I was going about planning and ordering my 2019 GT I did think about getting a convertible but in my opinion it's just not worth it because of your current problem. Most if not all car insurance companies WILL NOT cover your top after 5 years because that's what they consider it to be outside its normal life span. If anything goes wrong you on the hook for a major repair and very little in the way of getting help. Also, just about everyone I know that has a convertible has had their roof slashed by either people breaking into the car or just wanting to cause other people grief. I had one uncle who never locked his doors, that way they never had to ruin the top to get into the car. Hope things work out for you!
Old 1/18/21, 06:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anything goes wrong you on the hook for a major repair and very little in the way of getting help

{what went wrong is you got busted for spam links...nice try and Bye Bye-Mod}

Last edited by svopaul; 1/30/22 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Spammer