Repair & Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2019 Bullitt rear end CLUNKING

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/23, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 Bullitt rear end CLUNKING

Hey everyone I'm hoping that someone here has experience or some answers with a consistent problem that I'm having with my 2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt. When I'm going over uneven surfaces, speed bumps or even slight little bumps in the roads basically uneven at low speeds I hear an obnoxious clunking sound coming from the rear. The noise tends to be worse or more noticable when I'm turning to the left over bumps. Sometimes it's a double clunk. I've had multiple people inside including technicians and everyone says the same thing it sounds like a hard CLUNK.

I've had it to two different dealerships. The first replaced the entire rear subframe connector which includes the bushings inside the SFC, both rear shocks, both rear rotors and as soon as I left the lot the same clunk was present. Corporate sent me to a different dealer who found that the first dealer didn't replace the exhaust correctly leaving it hanging 4-5 inches behind where it should have been and reinstalled the exhaust and.... CLUNK CLUNK still. They took it back in and replaced the rear endlink swaybar bushings or something and...CLUNK. it went back in again after the exhaust selection mode stopped working and took the exhaust all the way off and noticed that there was an H pipe installed so they started working on the exhaust again and made sure to reinstall everything properly and added some extra harnesses and hangers and got everything right and back in place and....CLUNK CLUNK.

I'm at my wits end over here guys and gals. Save for the rear itself what else could possibly be causing such an obnoxious clunking?? For all I know it might be at all speeds and I can only hear it when I'm cruising under 5MPH and going over uneven surfaces. All I can confirm is that like I said above every single time that I'm under 10MPH and going over bumps or turning left its CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. It's rarely back to back although sometimes that happens. From the sound of it and again I'm not certain of this but it seems like it may possibly be something rotational if that makes sense as it seems to take a few seconds to happen again. Please. I'm begging everyone for any and all suggestions or help. I'll list again right here in 1 space the following parts are absolutely brand new:

Rear shocks

Rear subframe connector entire piece

Rear rotors

Rear driver's side swaybar endlink bushing

Exhaust adjusted and tightened
Old 8/1/23, 02:29 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,780 Posts
If the dealership you went to wasn't able to troubleshoot the clunk issues? I would suggest taking your Bullitt to another dealership for a second diagnosis...
Old 8/1/23, 02:46 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
I might say half shaft u joint but surely they would have noticed that. Maybe some sort of rubber isolator on a coil spring? Not much more back there that moves around.
Old 8/4/23, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I might say half shaft u joint but surely they would have noticed that. Maybe some sort of rubber isolator on a coil spring? Not much more back there that moves around.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll ask them to check those next. It shouldn't be this difficult right!
Old 8/6/23, 09:00 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,150 Likes on 824 Posts
Is it with a slight push of the gas pedal? Could it be the Torsen Differential? I know my Torsen 3.73 rear end can make some pretty good clunks going slow in a parking lot. This is normal for that rear end, but not really a sound I like to hear.
Old 8/6/23, 12:22 PM
Royal Crimson GT PP1 Member

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts
Does it "clunk" when no load is being applied, ( just a no power roll ) If it is clunking under a roll of the car with no left/right steering input, then I would suspect the sway bar end links. The factory units are weak and aftermarket units are a low cost replacement item. And the install can be done without too much drama. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by 1 old racer; 8/6/23 at 12:28 PM.
Old 8/7/23, 07:24 AM

Sorry I'm late responding.

Yes it does it under and not under load. Always at low speeds but that might just be because I can hear it at lower speed. As long as the wheels are moving whether I hit the gas or not and I hit little bumps in the road CLUNK CLUNK.

Also the driver's side rear sway bar endlink bushing was replaced to no avail! Good call. We went there and it didn't solve the problem!
Old 8/7/23, 05:29 PM
Royal Crimson GT PP1 Member

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts
The only other thing that comes to mind is the pinon shaft bearing. Jack the car up, crawl under the car and have someone move the wheel forward and back and listen to the area around the input to the diff. See if you can hear the clunk. And when you find it let all of us know.
Old 8/7/23, 06:30 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 old racer
The only other thing that comes to mind is the pinon shaft bearing. Jack the car up, crawl under the car and have someone move the wheel forward and back and listen to the area around the input to the diff. See if you can hear the clunk. And when you find it let all of us know.
You're right about that, I didn't really think about it because I figured the Ford dealer would have noticed it. But nowadays I'm not so sure.
The following users liked this post:
shaneyusa (8/8/23)