Curated Content Editor General Tech Tips / Tools Curated Content Editor

The One Great Thread For all of you plasti-dip fans

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/14, 03:01 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The One Great Thread For all of you plasti-dip fans

Kind of a nifty idea and they have gloss clear if you don't like the matte finishes.

https://plastidip.com/
Old 6/16/14, 03:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Some day I would like to Plasti dip my car. But like anything it costs.
Old 6/16/14, 05:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This tasteless, tacky trend needs to die in a fire.
Old 6/16/14, 05:39 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
This tasteless, tacky trend needs to die in a fire.
I dunno. I guess it can be overdone but the fact that I can take certain parts of my car and do a quick color change and have it reversible is pretty cool. I've yet to use it but have been thinking about it.
Old 6/16/14, 05:42 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
i'm very anti chrome so i might dip my 5.0's and the big GT on the trunk panel. glossing the back emblem to match the shiny black panel would be cool
Old 6/16/14, 05:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by VidPro
I dunno. I guess it can be overdone but the fact that I can take certain parts of my car and do a quick color change and have it reversible is pretty cool. I've yet to use it but have been thinking about it.
I don't know, call me a hater but spraying a $5 can of plasticized rubber on a $40k car is not something I'm a fan of. Then again I think flat black anything on a car looks like crap pretty much, just looks like unfinished redneck primer most of the time.
Old 6/16/14, 06:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Stripes would be cool I think. I would not do my whole car.
Old 6/16/14, 07:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
I don't know, call me a hater but spraying a $5 can of plasticized rubber on a $40k car is not something I'm a fan of. Then again I think flat black anything on a car looks like crap pretty much, just looks like unfinished redneck primer most of the time.
Would your opinion change if it cost $40 a can?

It can be overdone, just like everything. But it's very convenient, looks great when applied properly and is generally completely reversible.
Old 6/16/14, 07:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Would your opinion change if it cost $40 a can? It can be overdone, just like everything. But it's very convenient, looks great when applied properly and is generally completely reversible.
I agree. I plasti-dipped my wheels and I think they look better than the polished aluminum.

The One Great Thread For all of you plasti-dip fans-image-449949584.jpg

It's a cheap, easy, and reversible makeover that gives you great results when you're saving up for the wheels you really want. plus I think plasti dip adds an extra layer of protection from dirt on your wheels.
Old 6/16/14, 07:48 PM
GTR Member

If they made it in the right color I might try it just because I could strip it off if I didn't like it.
Old 6/16/14, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro

Same here. Might try some stripes so the haters can hate even more. And my car is a $30K car so I need to know what the cut off is for cars that can be sprayed with fancy redneck plastic in a can.
Old 6/16/14, 08:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Would your opinion change if it cost $40 a can?

It can be overdone, just like everything. But it's very convenient, looks great when applied properly and is generally completely reversible.
No, wouldn't matter if it was $40 a can. Spray on rubber is tacky as hell IMO.

Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
Same here. Might try some stripes so the haters can hate even more. And my car is a $30K car so I need to know what the cut off is for cars that can be sprayed with fancy redneck plastic in a can.
Don't be bitter, do as you please.
Old 6/16/14, 08:32 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Im an avid dipper and i gotta say iys pretty remarkable stuff. You can experiment with all kinds of looks and it can easily be peeled off. Can be used as protection on road trips from chips and bugs, experiment with different looks, tint lights, and many other things. Heres my car with dipped wheels, decklid, trunk emblem, fender stripes, hood spears, tinted tails, also dipped the grille surround, pony, and area around where the foglights should be. What fo you guys think?
Im gonna be experimenting over the next couple months so ill be posting more pics
Attached Images     
Old 6/16/14, 08:36 PM
GT Member

My wheels were almost $3000, Gloss black that's looks really good and I like the dip on it more, and best of all I can change the color very easy

Name:  IMG_1613.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  66.9 KB

Last edited by racksteris; 6/16/14 at 08:39 PM.
Old 6/16/14, 08:40 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0

Theres guys completely dipping ferraris, lambo's, and many other higher end card. There is no cutoff
Old 6/16/14, 09:14 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking
Im an avid dipper and i gotta say iys pretty remarkable stuff. You can experiment with all kinds of looks and it can easily be peeled off.
Does it peel off in one piece or is it a pain to entirely remove? Like scraping with your fingernails...
Does it cause swirls on the paint?
Old 6/16/14, 09:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
If they made it in the right color I might try it just because I could strip it off if I didn't like it.
Dipyourcar.com

If you can't find a color you like, you need help
Old 6/16/14, 09:22 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Does it peel off in one piece or is it a pain to entirely remove? Like scraping with your fingernails...
Does it cause swirls on the paint?
If applied correctly as in multiple coats thick enough it will peel off in one piece. If youre not sure enough coats were sprayed theres a product on dipyourcar.com thats called dip rewetter. Its a solvent that rewets the dip and it can be blasted off with a strong stream of water. But again if applied correctly this wouldnt be an issue.
Theres tons of vids on youtube (dipyourcar channel) that demonstrate how to dip just about any surface.
Old 6/16/14, 09:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
If you're doing a lot of parts or large areas, it might be worthwile to get a sprayer and do it with a proper gun. You can also buy gallons of plastidip. Probably cheaper in the long run if you have that much to do.

I've been seriously considering dipping all the shiny black plastic trim, like the mirror caps and the panel that surrounds the pony badge on the trunk lid. I don't particularly care for how the dip looks on larger areas, but it's better then the shiny plastic and will probably stay cleaner, longer.
Old 6/16/14, 09:37 PM
FR500 Member

If you're doing a lot of parts or large areas, it might be worthwile to get a sprayer and do it with a proper gun. You can also buy gallons of plastidip. Probably cheaper in the long run if you have that much to do.

I've been seriously considering dipping all the shiny black plastic trim, like the mirror caps and the panel that surrounds the pony badge on the trunk lid. I don't particularly care for how the dip looks on larger areas, but it's better then the shiny plastic and will probably stay cleaner, longer.
Im actually gonna dip all the black plastic on the exterior. Protects the parts, saves the plastic finish from wear and tear as well as preserve it. Plus it doesnt look any different really compared to normal vs dipped. Yea it might be a waste of a can or two but hey whats a few dollars to spare right? Lol

Quick Reply: The One Great Thread For all of you plasti-dip fans