Curated Content Articles Mach-E Magazine Type Articles With Pictures By IB Photo Gallery

Will the Mach E Be Able to Compete with Tesla?

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/20, 11:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,078 Posts
not sure what it is; but it is neither "Mustang" nor "pony car"

I hope it is successful and this seems to be the way of the future . . . hang onto your V8's before they go the way of the dodo bird . . . it will compete just fine with Tesla if it is priced like a Ford should be, and not out of reach for normal people like a Tesla
Old 1/21/20, 11:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
This is all merely my humble opinion.

This here electric machine is two things. . .

First, an acknowledgement by Ford the ground is shifting underneath the domestic industry. When you watch a vehicle manufacturer shut down basically every vehicle line except for the ones with brand history, that is a radical shift. That's a company knowing challenging times are coming and understanding they have to re-invent themselves.

The chickens from the 1970's, when domestics pretty much began ignoring what turned into decades of market erosion by imports, have really come to roost, except in a few distinct categories.

Now they are taking the hard steps required to keep Ford from becoming irrelevant in the next 50 years. This is just the beginning.

Of course the Mach-E had to be a Mustang. Risky (amongst the faithful)? Certainly. But Mustang has huge brand awareness and caché. You don't do something this big, as part of the biggest game-changing strategic maneuvers in as long as any of us can remember, and do it by half-measures. The Mustang brand may become a small family of niche vehicles. Those of us who love the version that would be called a passenger car will keep buying that one. Someone else will by this Mach-E. Still others will buy the other survivor, the F150. Someone else will by another spin-off.

Bottom line - senior decision makers saw the reality of the spreadsheets, put the kool-aid cup down, took all the "compliance cars" that made the CAFE numbers happen but didn't sell without terrible deep price cuts, out back and shot 'em.

They decided to swing for the fences and re-invent Ford with the best tools they have. One of those is the brand name "Mustang".

The alternative is the irrelevancy and eventual death/buyout of Ford (by a foreign manufacturer), perhaps within our lifetimes.

This is all JMHO.

Last edited by Paris MkVI; 1/21/20 at 11:58 AM.
Old 1/21/20, 12:07 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
I don't like the Mustang or Mach names being used on this electric crossover, but I understand the need to build a vehicle like it. Will the use of the Mustang name on that car make us Mustang enthusiasts run out and buy a Camaro? No. I'm sure they will sell plenty E's and we'll keep buying conventional Mustangs.. I like electrics but the infrastructure just isn't in place for them to take extended distance trips in. I'll also add I like them for their performance. They are not the pollution-free vehicles they are marketed as.

Last edited by SpectreH; 1/21/20 at 12:08 PM.
Old 1/21/20, 04:49 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Thanks for the kind words, although I'm fearin' you sully TacoBill's legend in some way... Just tryin' to help where I can, provide insight/experience for those in need, 'cause I need all the help I can get too, y'know? We all in this together, this Mustang enthusiasm.

TMS for lyfe!
First off, I don't know what your terminology as in "sully" means. However, just to clarify, my comment regarding TacoBill had nothing to do with his legend in anyway. I was just merely stating in my post there aren't many members left here on TMS from the good "ole" days such as yourself who provide insight for those who are in need from their own experiences. Needless to say, I was just attempting to point out that you happen to be the only member who's remained active on this site for going on nearly 16 years who continues to provide help for those in need with your in depth, technical knowledge from your very own personal experiences. At any rate, other than yourself, TacoBill was the only other member from back in the day that I recall from personal experience who also provided in depth technical help for those in need through their very own experiences and technical expertise as well. Enough said!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/21/20 at 06:21 PM.
Old 1/21/20, 04:57 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
I don't like the Mustang or Mach names being used on this electric crossover, but I understand the need to build a vehicle like it.
I agree 100% and I know the use of the Mustang brand is to help further solidify this new vehicle. But my point is Ford could have revived Bronco, Maverick, Falcon and a host of other names and hit an instant homerun with it. They being Ford just needed to do their homework on bringing out a good and solid product and the name would have sold itself.
Old 1/21/20, 05:02 PM

Or they could've just named it Mach-E without the Mustang nameplate and just left it at that!
Old 1/21/20, 10:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
First off, I don't know what your terminology as in "sully" means. However, just to clarify, my comment regarding TacoBill had nothing to do with his legend in anyway. I was just merely stating in my post there aren't many members left here on TMS from the good "ole" days such as yourself who provide insight for those who are in need from their own experiences. Needless to say, I was just attempting to point out that you happen to be the only member who's remained active on this site for going on nearly 16 years who continues to provide help for those in need with your in depth, technical knowledge from your very own personal experiences. At any rate, other than yourself, TacoBill was the only other member from back in the day that I recall from personal experience who also provided in depth technical help for those in need through their very own experiences and technical expertise as well. Enough said!
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/sully

Meanin' I don't know I'm up at his level. He was very excellent at the writeups, is what I was tryin' ta put across there. Can't say, IMO, I'm half as good as he was when he was documenting things. I just ramble and postulate and sometimes know things. But again, thanks!

Now as to the 16 years... dang. Really? I hadn't noticed, just seems like yesterday... wow. Time flies!

Last edited by houtex; 1/21/20 at 10:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (1/23/20)
Old 1/23/20, 04:35 PM

Thanks for clarifying, I really appreciate that. Anyhow IMO your write-ups are also very excellent as well, as they describe everything in full technical detail which is easy to follow and understand. Therefore I wouldn't quite put it as not knowing if your up to his level or not, but rather as differently, as we all have our own unique ways and styles of expressing things regardless of whether their verbal or documented as a write-up. Although there is no denying how excellent TacoBill was at documenting his write-ups, I would most definitely consider your write-ups as being right up there along with his, at least as far as I'm concerned anyhow. As for the 16 years? yes, it sure does seem like it was just yesterday, as time does indeed fly by way too fast