1974-1978 Mustang II Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/05, 09:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you guys think?

I owned more than 150 cars, but one I can never seem to replicate. I ordered in 78 a 1978 Mustang Mach 1. Red exterior, whitew interior, V8, 4 speed with T- tops. I waited 3 months for the factory to build from order date, kept it for 6 months and traded it. I've regreted it ever since. Question is from my research that was a rare car. I'm sure would now be valuable and as I said have never seen one since. Would buy this car in a New York minute. Would you agree with the rareity?
Old 4/30/05, 01:05 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
definately! i have never seen a II like the one you just described.

that car sounds like heaven

too bad you traded it.
Old 4/30/05, 02:38 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 4/30/05, 06:35 PM

It wouldn't necessarily be especially valuable per se...but certainly, a very desireable and rather rare II nonetheless.
The car as ordered with the T-top option alone would make it somewhat rare among other II's...and the white interior isn't/wasn't really very common either. Additionally, Mach's came standard with V6's... so again, this car with a V8 and 4speed (along with the aforementioned options) would certainly make it one of considerable interest to any II enthusiast today.
I'd suspect it's value to be (justifiably) equivilent to that of most Cobra II models now, even though this particular Mach as equipted could probably be considered far more scarce in sheer numbers at this point in time. And while they were both considered unique special model II's then, the Cobra received more media attention at the time, which in turn has made it the model generally more in demand to this day.

It's unlikely that you will ever see one exactly as this car was ordered again, but one never knows. It seems that the Mach 1 (II's) in general were always somewhat scarce... and I suspect that the reason there are relativly few of them around today is because the majority came with V6's that were not as popular with the more performance oriented buyers, who might have kept and maintained their cars better and longer than others who bought them for economy reasons.
I suspect too, that the availability of the Cobra and King Cobra models in the II's later years also greatly impacted Mach 1 sales in general (including those with V8 upgrades)....even though the Mach as you bought it was undoubtably an equal or better car than many Cobras sold that were not nearly as well equipted.
Old 4/30/05, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

oh my gosh i can picture it now! beautiful