1974-1978 Mustang II Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Mustang II Suspension and Handling

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/08, 11:33 AM
ARF
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang II Suspension and Handling

Hello everyone!!... I dont post much but I do read much, and I keep in touch with Arin from time to time... anyway Im planning on redoing my Mexican 74 Mach1 and I wanted do ad a bbiger engine and make te car handle better, so Im looking at what can I do in a stangII but havent found much, anyone around here knows any kind of suspension kit, package, or something to make it a better car? get more traction, do better turns around the corners, and get that s197 modern handlin grip we all love... all of your coments and ideas are REALLY apreciated... hope to hear from everyone out there and thanks in advance guys!!...

ALEX
Old 7/3/08, 12:44 PM
ARF
Bullitt Member

ttt... anyone please!?!?
Old 7/4/08, 04:43 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I dunno how comfortable you are with ebay but theres a guy on there that I think sells alot of Mustang II kits for street rods, and some of the parts are adaptable to our cars, so long as none of the parts are "narrowed"

I think his name was Fatrodder. Search "Mustang II" on eBay and theres alot of stuff to find. One thing thats supposed to really tighten up the suspension is the switch to urethane bushings as well.

I never really did too much research because I'm a long way off from rebuilding my front end. If I find anything though, I will let you know
Old 7/7/08, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

coil over shocks are available as well as adjustable control arms for stock crossmembers and a heavier sway bar. for rear suspension you can go with custom shocks and different leafs. Mustang II's are not real good handlers due to the excessive front weight and no rear weight. Also you can add some ballast through out the car to add weight to make it handle better and adjust the weight for a more 50-50 ratio instead of the 58 percent front weight the car has.
Old 7/8/08, 10:42 AM
ARF
Bullitt Member

Or could I swap all of the suspension of a "modern" stang, like I posted in my "engine" thread?...
Old 7/8/08, 01:44 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Anything is possible but I really don't think it would be feasible here. Its going to be a whole lot of work and it will get very expensive
Old 7/9/08, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

newer mustang suspension would be alot of work to swap into a mustang II. SLP makes adjustable control arms which makes fine tuning handling amazing. I think they are around $225.00 each arm. The main thing is to match your spring rate for your car. Coil over shocks from QA1 are said to be the best but I am sure carrera's are very fine too.