2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 - No manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 9/28/18, 02:26 PM
The Mustang Source Town Crier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 - No manual transmission?

Just heard that the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 may not get a manual transmission. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 9/28/18, 03:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Guessin' you read this: https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ford-m...anu-1828716066

Well... the one thing that gets me thinking this is a good idea is the insta-shifts. That car will be amazing when shifting with a DCT. No worries about missing a gear, missing a shift, it'll just happen.

We need to get used to the idea the manuals are dying, much like we need to get used to a Hybrid Mustang (and for that, my body is ready. My body would be even more ready for a Gas-Electric Mustang, but I'll take the Hybrid.) They're getting so good at automagics that any advantage a manual had in these newer cars is gone, and more people than not don't want to even touch a manual. Sales drives things, ultimately, and if they wanna sell Mustangs, them manuals may not be long for this earth at the dealerships much longer.

I'd be just fine with a DCT GT500.

Then again, that'd be because I *COULD* be fine with a DCT GT500, which implies I have money to burn, so there's that...

---

One does wonder why they just don't put a Magnum(XL) in it, as it'll handle the power, and overall the gear ratios (as shown on Tremec's website when I looked them up) aren't all that much different across the range, just an extra gear snuck in there on the 9007...

Last edited by houtex; 9/28/18 at 03:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CJ455 (10/8/18)
Old 10/4/18, 08:46 PM
GT Member

Received 353 Likes on 244 Posts
I understand the shift (no pun intended) from manual to auto/dct. There was a point in time where you adjusted the timing manually with a lever for the magneto. Then there was a time when you made seasonal adjustments to the carburetor. Performance improved with each iteration. But I just enjoy driving a manual. The auto box will be faster than I am. But it won't be as much fun...
The following 2 users liked this post by 4x4xFord:
1 old racer (10/4/18), Sarge (10/11/18)
Old 10/6/18, 06:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
One of the best options Ford ever offered was the glass roof, not available on the 2015 thru 2019 MY offerings.
If the next GT500 hits the showroom with no manual transmission option, I wouldn't be surprised.
Makes me even happier that I ordered the 14 !!

The following users liked this post:
CJ455 (10/8/18)
Old 10/8/18, 01:02 PM

That glass roof is amazing. Always wanted one of those .. much better than a sunroof which I have never used.
Old 10/8/18, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
Guessin' you read this: https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ford-m...anu-1828716066

Well... the one thing that gets me thinking this is a good idea is the insta-shifts. That car will be amazing when shifting with a DCT. No worries about missing a gear, missing a shift, it'll just happen.

We need to get used to the idea the manuals are dying, much like we need to get used to a Hybrid Mustang (and for that, my body is ready. My body would be even more ready for a Gas-Electric Mustang, but I'll take the Hybrid.) They're getting so good at automagics that any advantage a manual had in these newer cars is gone, and more people than not don't want to even touch a manual. Sales drives things, ultimately, and if they wanna sell Mustangs, them manuals may not be long for this earth at the dealerships much longer.

I'd be just fine with a DCT GT500.

Then again, that'd be because I *COULD* be fine with a DCT GT500, which implies I have money to burn, so there's that...

---

One does wonder why they just don't put a Magnum(XL) in it, as it'll handle the power, and overall the gear ratios (as shown on Tremec's website when I looked them up) aren't all that much different across the range, just an extra gear snuck in there on the 9007...
Very good points!
Old 10/10/18, 08:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4xFord
I understand the shift (no pun intended) from manual to auto/dct. There was a point in time where you adjusted the timing manually with a lever for the magneto. Then there was a time when you made seasonal adjustments to the carburetor. Performance improved with each iteration. But I just enjoy driving a manual. The auto box will be faster than I am. But it won't be as much fun...
I completely agree with you on this. Everyone keeps saying how much faster the newer automatics are but I’m not drag racing and most people aren’t either. Am I spirited driving? Of course I am, constantly in fact but I just don’t find automatics engaging enough.

I tried to to give it a chance actually, this last weekend I test drove both a 10 speed auto PP1 GT and a 6 speed Base GT. The 10 speed auto was fast, no doubt, however simply being faster than the manual doesnt do it for me. It was just boring and not the same experience in my opinion. I really enjoy holding the car in gear, the feel of engine braking, downshifting, etc.

i know there are those with good reasons for wanting the automatic, bad knees, long stop and go commutes, etc. that’s fine and they should be able to get a great automatic but we should still have the option for a manual as well and I fear those days are numbered and that’s too bad.
Old 10/11/18, 12:46 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Yep bad knees or not of which mine ARE bad I'd still choose stick.