About to pickup a GT350 - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

About to pickup a GT350

Old 2/9/18, 02:52 PM   #1

About to pickup a GT350

Hello,

New to the forum, but hopefully I will be visiting more often.
I'm in the market for a 2018 GT350. Before I put my deposit down and pull the trigger on the purchase. I'm going to see if I can talk the dealer into a couple of options.

I prefer the more aggressive front splitter from the GT350R, and also the Carbon Fiber wing from the GT350R.

From what I can gather in my research. The Front Splitter doesn't seem to be any problem. Parts cost if I were to get it from the parts counter, $2064. And they have that item in stock.
Rear wing, $10,287. And that is something that is NOT in stock.

I've found several aftermarket Carbon Fiber wings. But if I go that route, I'd like to be as authentic as possible. Same mounting. And hopefully same design. Considering the factory option is $10k, I'd be willing to spend $5k aftermarket if I knew it was an exact replica copy and the same quality of Carbon Fiber.

I've seen Anderson Composites, Trufiber and Speedkore brands. I'm wondering if anyone here has one of these brands and can say anything positive or negative about them.

Thanks
Ken
Kraziken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 2/9/18, 09:31 PM   #2
Bullitt Member

You will probably get more responses on Track Mustangs Online.

Last edited by orng302; 2/9/18 at 09:33 PM. Reason: wrong wording
orng302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/9/18, 10:29 PM   #3
Cobra Member

The R wing is 10k on purpose. It's not because that's the cost to make or it's value. Ford didn't want non R buyers to just buy the wing and make their car "look" like an R. So they made it ridiculously expensive.

You want the wing. Buy the R. Don't be like those guys that buy a 325i and put an M badge on it.

Last edited by typesredline; 2/9/18 at 10:32 PM.
typesredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/10/18, 05:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by typesredline View Post
The R wing is 10k on purpose. It's not because that's the cost to make or it's value. Ford didn't want non R buyers to just buy the wing and make their car "look" like an R. So they made it ridiculously expensive.

You want the wing. Buy the R. Don't be like those guys that buy a 325i and put an M badge on it.

I plan on taking my GT350 to the track. So you can say what you want about the look of the R. I know the R wing is more effective. The GT350 is still a GT350, so your comparison of a 325i and M badge doesn't fit.
Kraziken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/10/18, 02:22 PM   #5
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

If you're going to track it, personally I'd think the $5000 you want to spend on a wing would be much better spent on tires and brake pads over time.
Rather B.Blown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/11/18, 12:00 PM   #6
Cobra Member

Example definitely fits. A 325i and m3 are both still 3 series cars. Only difference is trim level. Just because the gt350 is a nice, high trim car. It still ISNT an R, which is an even higher trim. Therefore putting an R wing on it, which will make it look like an R (even if it's not your intention) when it isn't is the same as taking ANY car and making it look like a higher trim. Maybe taking an m3 and putting an m3 gts wing on it will make a better example in your eyes. You don't see it done. Do what you like. I'm just saying it's frowned upon and ppl at the track will make fun of you. Which is exactly why Ford put the price for the factory wing out of reach.

Why not just get the R? You're talking about dropping $7k+ on top of the 350. So if you already plan on spending 70k+. Just go a little more for the R. Then you can have the wing, an even better track car, and won't look like a poser.

Also I agree that there are many, many other upgrades which would be more beneficial at the track instead of a wing. Or if you're dead set on getting a wing, strictly to enhance track times, go with an aftermarket, different, and most likely even more effective wing as opposed to an R replica.

All that said. Congrats on the sweet purchase

Last edited by typesredline; 2/11/18 at 12:15 PM.
typesredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/11/18, 01:43 PM   #7
Mach 1 Member

I don't agree. A wing is not a badge.

Nothing wrong with putting the Laguna Seca splitter or rear seat delete on any other S197 because they were effective. How is a wing different?

But the faux LS gas cap or the stripe package would be another thing.
berzerk_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/12/18, 08:59 PM   #8
Shelby GT500 Member

If you're willing to get $15k in upgrades, why not get the R? Do you need the rear seats?

If not, then the weight saving of the carbon wheels with the R alone is worth the price, not the mention the aero and weight saving from rear seat delete.

I track my car too. Every bit counts, so I get your logic, but at the price the R might be a better value in the long run.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/12/18, 10:21 PM   #9
Mach 1 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
If you're willing to get $15k in upgrades, why not get the R? Do you need the rear seats?

If not, then the weight saving of the carbon wheels with the R alone is worth the price, not the mention the aero and weight saving from rear seat delete.

I track my car too. Every bit counts, so I get your logic, but at the price the R might be a better value in the long run.
That was my response not OP. Excuse the pun but we might be getting off track here.

OP seems to want a functional spoiler that doesn't cost 10k. Not spend an extra 5k to get the rest of the R package with the spoiler.

Devil's advocate, aren't the Rs a little hard to come by, and REALLY hard to come by for MSRP?
berzerk_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote