GT

Traded my '06 GT for a '17 GT.

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/18, 03:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by woody24
Was a local transmission shop. That's what they specialize in, so I figured they must be good. In the end, I think I was taken. Would have been cheaper to buy a brand new one than what I paid for them to rebuild it.

But it started out with "We don't know what's wrong with it yet. So we need to plug it into the computer. That will be $xxx just to do that." Then it became: "The computer didn't see anything, so we need to tear it apart. That will be $xxx just to do that." Then it was, "We estimate this to be about a $1500 to $2000 job. Is that okay?" Then it went to "we found something new, and it was about ready to explode. We don't know why it hadn't already, the new estimate is $3000-$4000." Then after they did the work they were like, "Well, we had to replace the whatever, and the whatever, and do this. Your new total is just over $5000. How would you like to pay?"

This is a summary of the exact conversation I had with them. So, yeah, never going back to them again.

They way they handled it, it seemed like it was going to be reasonable for what needed to be done. But then it kept getting worse and worse and I couldn't just say, "Okay, I'll come pick it up and drive it to somewhere else." Once it got too expensive, it sounded like it was in complete pieces.
That sucks, I've heard way too many stories like that. Even with Google and online reviews there are still places that try and do get away with **** like that. Did you ever get the chance to get down there and see what they were talking about? Don't know if them seeing you checking out their work would've kept them a little more honest.
Old 2/10/18, 08:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Cavero
That sucks, I've heard way too many stories like that. Even with Google and online reviews there are still places that try and do get away with **** like that. Did you ever get the chance to get down there and see what they were talking about? Don't know if them seeing you checking out their work would've kept them a little more honest.
I didn't. From what I understood what they did, the shop I took it to didn't have the equipment to do all the work that was needed, so they took the transmission to the main shop. Car stayed at the original shop though. Not sure where that shop was exactly, but couldn't have been as convenient as the one I dropped it off at.

So when they told me how much it was going to be, it would have been a nightmare to get it all back if I declined.

Last edited by woody24; 2/10/18 at 08:15 AM.
Old 2/11/18, 11:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Congrats! The blind spot mirrors bothered me at first too. They really messed with my eyes and being able to quickly look. But you get used to them and now it's difficult to drive a car without them.
Old 2/16/18, 02:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Windows Tinted! First time I've ever tinted my windows. Should have done it on my black '06.

The following 2 users liked this post by woody24:
Gravydog316 (2/18/18), wanted33 (2/20/18)
Old 2/17/18, 07:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
That looks nice. I'll assume it's more than 50%?
Old 2/18/18, 07:27 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Yep had my windows tinted for a whole two months before I got a ticket to remove it!
The following users liked this post:
Gravydog316 (2/18/18)
Old 2/18/18, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

You know, I never checked with the Indiana state law. I'd been keeping an eye out for other people on the road, and there's a lot of tinted windows that look pretty dark. I asked my buddy where he got his done at, so I went to the same place.

Got there and they asked me, "20%?" I said, whatever the most I could go legally is. He replied with, "20% is what most people go with." So I said okay.

I just looked it up, and I think it says Indiana law is 30%. This place said they offer a lifetime warranty for as long as I own the car, so if I ever get pulled over and ticketed, at least they should be able to replace it with 30%.
Gravydog316 (2/18/18)
Old 2/18/18, 08:21 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Window tint laws vary by state. Here is a pretty good look up by state:
https://www.windowtint.com/pages/state-window-tint-laws
Gravydog316 (2/18/18)
Old 2/18/18, 10:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Do you go interstate a lot? Might be worth checking out the laws in those other states. NY exempts non-resident cars from their laws (70%) but I don't think most states do that
Gravydog316 (2/18/18)
Old 2/18/18, 11:17 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
35% was the limit in SC and GA. I haven't checked OK's laws but I haven't been harassed about the tint and I have been pulled for speeding (warning only fortunately).
Gravydog316 (2/18/18)
Old 2/18/18, 11:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pa sucks,none allowed unless you have a suv lol. I think im going to get mine done amd give it a try,ill just roll my windows down when going thru a certain area,they pull you over for anything they can,i tinted my windows 30% on mu suv and they didnt bother me,but then again its a suv,who cares lol
Gravydog316 (2/18/18)
Old 2/18/18, 11:58 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Originally Posted by Rasn1320
Pa sucks,none allowed unless you have a suv lol. I think im going to get mine done amd give it a try,ill just roll my windows down when going thru a certain area,they pull you over for anything they can,i tinted my windows 30% on mu suv and they didnt bother me,but then again its a suv,who cares lol
Agree and good luck with that it didn't work for me. I can't help myself but get po'ed when I see illegal tinted windows in PA.
Gravydog316 (2/18/18)
Old 2/18/18, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Agree and good luck with that it didn't work for me. I can't help myself but get po'ed when I see illegal tinted windows in PA.

where in pa do you have issue with getting pull over for your tint?
Old 2/18/18, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
My dad put a clear license plate cover on mine when i got it ($200 ticket because the cover can cause glare for the red light cameras,)
& my blacked rear lenses (which weren't tinted film) $120 ticket because 'tint can impair the effectiveness of the brake lights)(which is bullplop because my rear lights were always on as soon as you start the engine, & were bright as anything!)

& i got pulled over leaving the high school parking lot which is like 3 blocks from my house & the cop was behind me in the other lane & pulled me over 'are those tinted lenses?'
'yes they are tinted, but they aren't film so i can't remove it (& the headlight covers & sidemarkers are blacked out & were all changed out before i got it)

"Why do you have a cover on your plate?"
"To keep my plate clean"

$320 ticket, which was $25 because i paid it early
& my brother changed the taillight lenses at his shop no charge.

my dad had a fit when i got home haha
"That's a money racket! rar rar rawrrr!!"

but my back window & the quarter windows have black glass from the factory, not tint film, but thats allowed.
just the drivers & pass. windows can't be tinted, in case a cop comes up to your vehicle, they can't see inside
but mines not tinted anyways
(whew!)
wow was this lancaster police or some small town deal? I had a ford lighting few years ago and tinted them and didnt have a problem. I heard tint is a bit h to get off?
Gravydog316 (2/18/18)
Old 2/18/18, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Never understood lens covers and license plate covers. I've seen those smoked lights before, and I don't care for them. It dims the brightness of them, so in the wrong situation they can be hard to see for other drivers. And because I don't want other people hitting me, I'll never put them on my cars.

And the license plate are the thing on my car that I care about the least. It's a required object that has to be on the car. It's not required to keep it spotless. Free and clear from not being covered, sure. But I don't care if it gets rusty, muddy, dirty, bent. And same goes for the temporary paper ones. It's what a government office gave you, I'm not going to keep it in my window of my car. If it gets wet, soggy, its not my problem. It's not any worry to me. To me, if you're putting a cover on it, it's to hinder the viewing of it. I've seen some that are so bad, I still can't even read the plates while parked directly behind someone at a stop light.

Now, I did put a license plate frame on mine since I've gotten my '17. Its a plain black one. Every single car in town has the right corner bent up just a little. It's a sign of going to the car wash, and we have a monopoly on a specific name of car wash here in town. And just by the little tale-tail bend of the plate, it advertises the car wash facility. I got the frame to cover up the fact that I go to a car wash during the winter, and don't hand wash my car.

Last edited by woody24; 2/18/18 at 05:43 PM.
Old 2/18/18, 08:11 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Originally Posted by Rasn1320
wow was this lancaster police or some small town deal? I had a ford lighting few years ago and tinted them and didnt have a problem. I heard tint is a bit h to get off?
Yep good old local police in Lancaster. They even got my optometrist who has a legal document for eye sensitivity to very bright light. He said he didn't even fight it he just removed the tint and paid his fine. BTW the tint removal is a giant PITA!!!
Old 2/18/18, 08:14 PM

Yep good old local police in Lancaster. They even got my optometrist who has a legal document for eye sensitivity to very bright light. He said he didn't even fight it he just removed the tint and paid his fine. BTW the tint removal is a giant PITA!!!
whats the easiest to remove it,im assuming its time consuming? Ive had tint on every car ive had,even camaros and mustangs,lightning. Im seriously thinking of saving my self 140$ and not getting it done (
Old 2/18/18, 08:20 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

I don't know if there was an easier way but I used A LOT of nail polish remover, cloth and a razor blade window scraper.
Old 2/20/18, 05:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I had to remove a crappy tint job on my first car, spent a week of my summer vacation roasting under the rear window scraping away with a Gila removal kit. Eventually I ran out of whatever spray the kit came with and started using a combo of windex (the kind that has ammonia in it) and rubbing alcohol.

There's options:
https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Window-Tint

edit

don't even think about using a metal scraper on the rear window. I only had three or four defroster lines that worked on that car

Last edited by Cavero; 2/20/18 at 05:49 PM.
Old 2/21/18, 11:42 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Gary, I got nailed in Castle Shannon for having tinted windows. Luckily the cop didn't issue a ticket however, I was given 30 days to have the window tint removed and then provide proof in writing that it was removed by a PA state inspection station. At any rate, lesson learned!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/21/18 at 11:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Traded my '06 GT for a '17 GT.