GT

Tires on new Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/17, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires on new Mustang

Hello everyone. New here. I've been reading up lately and a question.
I'm taking delivery on a new 2016 GT on Saturday. Super excited. Last years model and a great deal. Comes with the summer P Zero summer tires. I'm not all the excited about them since Indiana gets cold weather and snow. Do I need to negotiate changing them out? I've read that some have no issues driving with them but I want to be safe and don't want to put my family or others in jeopardy because these tires are really summer only tires and are possibly unsafe in the winter. What's the story?
Old 1/5/17, 09:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
You should not, under any circumstances, drive summer only tires below freezing. It's not ideal below 40*F, even.

Purchase winter tires on a set of cheap wheels (smallest that will fit, ideally). Swap these out with the summers when the weather gets cold and put the summers back on when it's warm again. They will perform MUCH better than all seasons in cold weather, and especially in snow and ice.
The following users liked this post:
larrylu (4/22/17)
Old 1/6/17, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. I haven't put much reading into the topic but I leaning toward a good all season tire. The car has 19 inch rims.
255/40/19 in the front and 275/40/19 in the rear.
Old 1/7/17, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
I have a new '17 Ecoboost with 19" rims and Blizzak snow tires on all 4 corners. I've been driving it in Maine and Canada on snowy roads, and haven't had any trouble so far. It will fishtail about like I expected if you punch the throttle on a slick road, but if you keep a light foot on the gas, it does OK on the white stuff. I haven't tried it in these conditions with summers or all-seasons, and I don't intend to. I like my car and I intend to keep it on the road and out of the ditch.
Old 1/7/17, 08:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
The PZeros will spin easily below 45 degrees, they turn rock hard.
If you're gonna drive it year-round, definitely get some good all-seasons on there or some dedicated winter wheels/tires
larrylu (4/22/17)
Old 1/8/17, 06:20 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
If you're already getting the Pzeros with the car I say just keep them, and buy a separate set of wheels tires for winter, like in 235/50-18 all around with dedicated winter tires.

Summer tires do great when the temps are over 75. They will stick and give you great performance.

Winter tires grip great in wet, cold snowy and icy conditions. If you've never had winter tires before you'll be amazed. Worth every penny.

All season tires "allow" you to drive in all seasons, but they aren't good at anything. Mediocre all around. Don't grip as well as summers when its warm, and slide around a lot in the winter. A little better than summer tires in the cold, but not much.
larrylu (4/22/17)
Old 1/9/17, 07:36 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Picked the car up east of Columbus OH and drove around 4 hrs home to Indiana on Saturday. The car is great. Power is awesome, but haven't got the full effect due to the tires. I've somewhat experienced what the issue is with summer tires in winter. I'm on the search for a good tire and appreciate knowing that all season are not the best to go with. Will there be an issue with going to a tire that's smaller than the current stock? I didn't anticipate needing two sets as well as possibly going to with another set of rims for convenience.
Old 1/10/17, 05:57 PM

Read this thread on another forum http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73093

Last edited by RonStang65; 1/11/17 at 10:39 PM.
Old 1/14/17, 07:49 AM
GT Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Tell them to put the P-Zero Nero tires on it. They are the All Season version of the P-Zero tires and were usable in the snow.
Old 1/14/17, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by IndyMustang2016
Thanks for the reply. I haven't put much reading into the topic but I leaning toward a good all season tire. The car has 19 inch rims.
255/40/19 in the front and 275/40/19 in the rear.

The Mustang GT Performance Package cars will have this tires size. If that is the case it will have P Zero summer tires. The non-PP Mustang GTs have P Zero all season tires. So check the tires on the Mustang GT that you are buying to find which P Zero tires it has on it.
Old 1/18/17, 06:26 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The PP Wheels are cheap as hell. I'd just go for a set of dedicated snow tires for the winter just in case you run into bad weather.

If Indiana doesn't have a lot of snow then all-seasons are fine and by that I'm talking about weather that occurs in my AO Southeastern VA.

We get snow occasionally and sometimes it can be bad (bad for here is 3+ inches since the state only has rudimentary snow equipment - it just doesn't snow here often enough to invest in the sort of equipment you boys above the Mason Dixon need to keep from being shut down 9 months out of the year)

Anyways here a set of all-seasons are a pretty good compromise since it handles 90% of the situations we see.

If you get a substantial amount of snow over the course of winter then the snow tires will further help the car out (all-season tires are nicknamed no-season tires for a reason, their biggest advantage is remaining soft at low temps and the criteria for a Mud & Snow rating is laughably low).
larrylu (4/22/17)
Old 4/22/17, 03:26 PM

I'm new to the forum and just picked up a '16 GT without PP. my tire size is 265/35 With the 20 inch wheels. I too have been wondering what I was going to do this coming winter. My last car was 2010 SHO and with AWD the ASR I ran were good enough. Looks like the opinions here are directing me to go to a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires. Thank you for the shared wisdom!
Old 4/23/17, 12:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
How does everybody feel about the electronic traction control on icy roads? I usually leave mine on and try to drive like I don't have it, just to be safe. It blinks at me when I feel a little slide every now and then, so it seems to be doing its job.
Old 5/11/17, 05:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarge
How does everybody feel about the electronic traction control on icy roads? I usually leave mine on and try to drive like I don't have it, just to be safe. It blinks at me when I feel a little slide every now and then, so it seems to be doing its job.
Recommend keeping the TCS on when icy/wintry...and 99% of all other times.