GT

Steeda Tri-ax Short Throw Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/16, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey all, I just purchased the Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter for my 2015 GT. I had it professionally installed by a reputable performance shop and I'm having an issue. everything works as it should shift wise and the safety reverse lockout functions but I can shift into reverse even without pulling up the lockout. Everything looks as it should assembly wise, sleeve moves freely and the spring works fine. I was idling at a light and went to shift into first and it went into reverse. It's really strange. My shop guy has never seen anything like it and he has the same shifter in his car and I called Steeda and they said it might be the spring but I'm pretty sure that's not it. Anyone ever hear of this?

Last edited by rikaj; 8/8/16 at 05:03 PM.
Old 8/9/16, 08:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Whom did you speak with @ Steeda & what would lead you to believe it is not the spring?

You can check out this review on page 42 http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/show...=38693&page=42

Problem was fixed!

For some reason my setup did not like any of the springs. As per steedas recommendation we removed both springs and the shifter is very smooth in all gears. Much less vibrations to.

Big thanks to steeda and steeda.ca for their help with this!!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 8/9/16, 09:38 AM

It was who ever answered the phone. He said he checked with engineering and was told that the spring was put on wrong. when I went back to shop we took it back apart and everything appeared as it should. The thing is the lockout works fine, the sleeve moves freely and drops properly when you release it. what happens is it's almost as if the sleeve is slightly thinner than the factory one and when you go to shift into first if you push even slightly to the left it slides into reverse. I do have the Blowfish Racing shifter bracket installed and I wondered could that be the problem but they checked that also and all is as it should be. I did not purchase the entire shifter assembly just the Tri-Ax street short throw shifter Handle.
Old 8/9/16, 11:11 AM

From what I can see all the spring is doing is pushing the sleeve down. Is that not correct?
Old 8/21/16, 11:37 AM

Finally Solved!! Evidently the Steeda sleeve on the shifter arm is super sensitive, after taking it apart and reassembling I could find nothing wrong. I went back to the shop that installed it several times , had multiple correspondences with Steeda and still was having the issue, not everytime but enough to make you crazy. anyway I had acquired a shifter **** for a GT350 which had been modified to fit all S550 model Mustangs. the problem would occur after putting on the ****.
It was was not that the **** was threaded too far down or even too far up. when I pulled the lookout collar up it was smooth and when I released it would drop no problem but what was happening it was not dropping the sleeve all the way. I happened to pull down on the collar after I released it and I felt it move, just slightly and bingo, problem gone. My guess is somehow the shifter **** was preventing the sleeve from dropping all of the way. so I took the GT350 shift **** off and put the factory **** back on and it works perfectly.
I guess it's the little things that can get ya! Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Last edited by rikaj; 8/21/16 at 12:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tj@steeda (8/22/16)