GT

Misfire Issue

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/16, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfire Issue

I have endured a CEL misfire issue since June (CAS #9881813). I am sorry that I do not have the code, but the dealer has had my car for off/on 45 days since June 1. Has anyone else had this issue?
After doing many things (PCM reload, spark plugs, coil packs, dropped tranny for exciter ring (?) they finally called in a Field Service Engineer and now they feel it is a head gasket.
It's horrible, but mostly curious about gasket/head replacement vice totally new engine. Issue started at under 10k miles.
Old 8/8/16, 04:07 PM

Hello everyone. I just got my first Mustang GT and I'm new to the site. After reading this thread I'm pretty nervous for what i might be having to go through. I just got my 2014 Mustang GT 1 week ago today. 2 days ago i was driving to work when the CEL started flashing and i could tell my car was misfiring. It stopped after about 25 seconds of flashing and then going away and then flashing again. The CEL did not stay lite. Last night i just got on the highway and after about 1/4 miles the CEL started flashing again and i could tell that it was misfiring. I was going about 70mph in and I was in 5th gear. I went to pull over and the light went off again and stayed off. So i turned around and went home to be safe. On my way home the light came on and stayed on and the car was NOT misfiring from what i could tell. I woke up this morning i called the Ford Dealership that i got it from (Which is over an hour away) They told me to bring it right in. Asside from all this, the folks at the dealership are great. They had a loaner car waiting for me when i got there. I am waiting for them to call me back with some info. I'm praying that this is a one time thing but by the sounds of it i may be making this 1 hour trip a few times. They said that it could be a bad coil pack. Lets hope they get it right.
Old 8/29/16, 08:40 AM

I have a 2015 GT and the CEL has been coming on sporadically since June. The report said engine misfire each time, but I did not feel any downgrade in engine performance. It has been in the dealer shop 4 times. First time they ran computer tests and said they could not find a problem. 2nd time they said they forgot to reset some codes. 3rd time they replaced one ignition wire and coil. This last time they replaced the PCM (powertrain control module) and that did not fix anything. They have been working with Ford and Ford now believes that the intake runner control manifold needs to be replaced. Ford told them a few Mustangs are having this same problem. They are supposed to install it today and see if that fixes it. I'll let you know if it does. It has been at the dealer going on 3 weeks now. At least I have a loaner car, but the Focus ain't no Mustang!
Old 8/29/16, 11:30 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
When I had the random mis-fire it was the crank relearn process that was needed. On 2011+ any time the engine and transmission are separated you have to do the crank relearn. A friend who is a Ford tech said he has seen some cars come in that needed it done even without having had work done before.

If you have an SCT X4 you can do it yourself. Older SCT handheld devices can't do it and it requires a dealership trip.
Old 9/30/16, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Guard2015
I have endured a CEL misfire issue since June (CAS #9881813). I am sorry that I do not have the code, but the dealer has had my car for off/on 45 days since June 1. Has anyone else had this issue?
After doing many things (PCM reload, spark plugs, coil packs, dropped tranny for exciter ring (?) they finally called in a Field Service Engineer and now they feel it is a head gasket.
It's horrible, but mostly curious about gasket/head replacement vice totally new engine. Issue started at under 10k miles.
Hey man, I'm currently having the same exact issue with my 16 GT. Was wondering if you ever got this resolved and what it ended up being. This has been an absolute nightmare
Old 9/30/16, 08:41 PM

Same Issue

Originally Posted by dswieson
I have a 2015 GT and the CEL has been coming on sporadically since June. The report said engine misfire each time, but I did not feel any downgrade in engine performance. It has been in the dealer shop 4 times. First time they ran computer tests and said they could not find a problem. 2nd time they said they forgot to reset some codes. 3rd time they replaced one ignition wire and coil. This last time they replaced the PCM (powertrain control module) and that did not fix anything. They have been working with Ford and Ford now believes that the intake runner control manifold needs to be replaced. Ford told them a few Mustangs are having this same problem. They are supposed to install it today and see if that fixes it. I'll let you know if it does. It has been at the dealer going on 3 weeks now. At least I have a loaner car, but the Focus ain't no Mustang!
I'm currently having the same issue with my 16 GT. Was wondering if it was in fact the intake runner control manifold or did that not resolve the it either?