GT

Jacking Rails

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/17, 12:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jacking Rails

Hey guys a little info we all can use. One of the best things you can add to your Mustang is Jacking Rails. They strengthen the body on these cars and you can jack anywhere along the body and service two wheels at the same time.

What I find strange is neither Steeda or BMR provide Torque specs for attaching the bolts to the body with their instructions so I called both and asked. Steeda 1-800-950-0774 Their tech stated "TIGHT'' Yea you heard right "TIGHT"
Then I called BMR 1-813-986-9302 their Tech stated. (41 ft. lbs.) I did a little research and found if you check out the install videos the torque spec is all over the map. Landon at AM states 53 ft. lbs. you get the picture.
Bottom line the 8 bolts you remove and install are for mounting the car to the track as it goes along the assembly line. Here's a tip the (8) bolts that are removed are the same size and thread pitch as the engine bracket mounting bolts AND the Workshop Manual states (41 ft. lbs.) of torque. Where have I heard that? So Boys and Girls I'm going with BMR they seem to know what is going on. Also the BMR rails are beefier and run the entire pinch rail where the Steeda's do not. I'm not knocking one MFG or the other. But for my money I'll go with BMR Rails. PS: As a side note I am not all that excited about the last ounce of performance. I'm more interested in being safe and having the ease to work on my own car. I love power, rowing gears, and having a great looking ride.

Last edited by Blast From The Past; 9/27/17 at 10:31 AM.
Old 9/25/17, 09:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
I went with the bolt-in Steeda rails for my '13 and when I installed the bolts I gave them about 4 ugga-duggas with the impact gun and called it good-and-tight.

They haven't fallen off yet.
Old 9/26/17, 10:08 AM
GT Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Was the first item I installed on my 2017, I like to work on my vehicles and jacking rails make it easy to jack up. As far as the torque number, well I also used the ugga-dugga method and all is well.
Old 9/26/17, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Blast From The Past
Hey guys a little info we all can use. One of the best things you can add to your Mustang is Jacking Rails. They strengthen the body on these cars and you can jack anywhere along the body and service two wheels at the same time.

What I find strange is neither Steeda or BMR provide Torque specs for attaching the bolts to the body with their instructions so I called both and asked. Steeda 1-800-950-0774 Their tech stated "TIGHT'' Yea you heard right "TIGHT"
Then I called BMR 1-813-986-9302 their Tech stated. (41 ft. lbs.) I did a little research and found if you check out the install videos the torque spec is all over the map. Landon at AM states 53 ft. lbs. you get the picture.
Bottom line the 8 bolts you remove and install are for mounting the car to the track as it goes along the assembly line. Here's a tip the (8) bolts that are removed are the same size and thread pitch as the engine bracket mounting bolts AND the Workshop Manual states (41 ft. lbs.) of torque. Where have I heard that? So Boys and Girls I'm going with BMR they seem to know what is going on. Also the BMR rails are beefier and run the entire pinch rail where the Steeda's do not. I'm not knocking one MFG or the other. But for my money I'll go with BMR Rails.
Mine are bolted on and welded in place as the Torque Box Brace mounts there as well.
Old 9/26/17, 02:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Ours don't go all the way because it is unnecessary weight and it is extra length that are needed. Weight is the enemy of performance!

Yes, "tight" there is not a specific torque needed and the holes are like you said, used in the assembley line process.

We have been doing this for over 28 years and have some of the most talented engineers on our staff - you won't be disappointed in the Steeda rails.

Happy to extend a forum pricing to interested parties!

TJ
Old 9/26/17, 02:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
I went with the bolt-in Steeda rails for my '13 and when I installed the bolts I gave them about 4 ugga-duggas with the impact gun and called it good-and-tight.

They haven't fallen off yet.
Thats great to hear, lol.
Old 9/26/17, 02:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
LOL, yeah "snice-n-tight" oughta do it

(and by coincidence, that's German for "virgin" . . . by the way . . . )
Old 9/27/17, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tourer
Mine are bolted on and welded in place as the Torque Box Brace mounts there as well.
This is a great way to add integrity to the body and is the way to go if using SLICKS as the torque boxes are subject to cracking and tearing with repeated strip usage.