GT

I Discovered What Line-Lock UNlocks

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/16, 02:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I Discovered What Line-Lock Unlocks

I Discovered What Line-Lock Unlocks

In the Ford Mustang GT, you're not supposed to feel thickly varnished wood trim under your fingertips or satisfaction with how "green" your driving has been. You're supposed to feel badass.

Read the rest on the TheMustangSource.com homepage. >>

Last edited by DerekShiekhi; 10/19/16 at 03:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DerekShiekhi:
ofequipmentgolf (10/27/16), tourer (10/31/16)
Old 10/20/16, 06:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
In the Ford Mustang GT, you’re not supposed to feel thickly varnished wood trim under your fingertips or satisfaction with how “green” your driving has been. You’re supposed to feel badass.

The Blue Oval’s engineers provide the hardware to give you that sensation. It fills your ears when you hear the throaty roar of the 5.0-liter V8. You feel it in your snapped-back neck when you put your right foot down and release all 435 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque at once. Not even your right hand is left out if it’s lucky enough to muscle the available six-speed stick into its next gear – and shove you into the next wave of power.

I’ve always felt a few degrees cooler than nerd normal when I’ve been behind the wheel of a Mustang GT, especially the S550 version. It doesn’t matter if I’m blasting up the freeway with the top down or cruising the winding roads of the Texas Hill Country in a California Special.

However, those experiences can’t top the time I used a 2015 GT’s Electronic Line-Lock feature in terms of badassery. I didn’t have access to a drag strip. I didn’t have a lot of time. I just had the desire. I had to experience it.

After searching back roads for a spot to use it, I came upon an empty concrete pad a few hundred yards from a warehouse. Tire smoke would soon become part of its inventory.

I selected the Line-Lock feature. Then I had to jam my foot down on the brake pedal so hard it almost turned into a break pedal. Once I had fused it with the carpet with my Chuck Taylor and locked the front brakes, I was instructed to do what normally requires no instruction at all in a Mustang GT: give it lots of gas. As the timer counted down, smoke began to billow into the cabin, coating every surface in vulcanized vapor. It couldn’t obscure the smile on my face, though. This had to be done for the sake of knowledge, for the respect of what Mustang GTs were created to do. The death cloud ghosted its way up my nose, as if trying to haunt my soul for the double homicide I was committing.

Then it was over. The surface of the rear tires was melted to the Line-Lock system’s liking. They were able to stick to the ground better than before, but I had no intention of letting them. According to the molten streaks under the Mustang, it was 11 – time for me to leave.

I emerged from the acrid haze on a high of testosterone and adrenaline. Seeing a car coming the opposite way added a hit of fear. They would see what happened. They would smell it. But would they do anything about it? Would they turn around and chase me down for my antics?

No. They were cool about it. As cool as I felt. Certain experiences can “grow hair on your chest.” Using Line-Lock in the Mustang GT grows a leather jacket on your body and aviators on your face.

The following users liked this post:
ofequipmentgolf (10/27/16)
Old 10/20/16, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You are a true poet
Old 10/21/16, 11:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
In the Ford Mustang GT, you’re not supposed to feel thickly varnished wood trim under your fingertips or satisfaction with how “green” your driving has been. You’re supposed to feel badass.

The Blue Oval’s engineers provide the hardware to give you that sensation. It fills your ears when you hear the throaty roar of the 5.0-liter V8. You feel it in your snapped-back neck when you put your right foot down and release all 435 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque at once. Not even your right hand is left out if it’s lucky enough to muscle the available six-speed stick into its next gear – and shove you into the next wave of power.

I’ve always felt a few degrees cooler than nerd normal when I’ve been behind the wheel of a Mustang GT, especially the S550 version. It doesn’t matter if I’m blasting up the freeway with the top down or cruising the winding roads of the Texas Hill Country in a California Special.

However, those experiences can’t top the time I used a 2015 GT’s Electronic Line-Lock feature in terms of badassery. I didn’t have access to a drag strip. I didn’t have a lot of time. I just had the desire. I had to experience it.

After searching back roads for a spot to use it, I came upon an empty concrete pad a few hundred yards from a warehouse. Tire smoke would soon become part of its inventory.

I selected the Line-Lock feature. Then I had to jam my foot down on the brake pedal so hard it almost turned into a break pedal. Once I had fused it with the carpet with my Chuck Taylor and locked the front brakes, I was instructed to do what normally requires no instruction at all in a Mustang GT: give it lots of gas. As the timer counted down, smoke began to billow into the cabin, coating every surface in vulcanized vapor. It couldn’t obscure the smile on my face, though. This had to be done for the sake of knowledge, for the respect of what Mustang GTs were created to do. The death cloud ghosted its way up my nose, as if trying to haunt my soul for the double homicide I was committing.

Then it was over. The surface of the rear tires was melted to the Line-Lock system’s liking. They were able to stick to the ground better than before, but I had no intention of letting them. According to the molten streaks under the Mustang, it was 11 – time for me to leave.

I emerged from the acrid haze on a high of testosterone and adrenaline. Seeing a car coming the opposite way added a hit of fear. They would see what happened. They would smell it. But would they do anything about it? Would they turn around and chase me down for my antics?

No. They were cool about it. As cool as I felt. Certain experiences can “grow hair on your chest.” Using Line-Lock in the Mustang GT grows a leather jacket on your body and aviators on your face.

https://youtu.be/O3nbwCjZKk8
Did you hear the mention of a " water box ", @ about 1 minute into the video ?
There is a reason to use one !!
Old 10/21/16, 05:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
naa I just copy and paste these articles from the other page so folks have to click one less time.
Old 10/22/16, 05:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
naa I just copy and paste these articles from the other page so folks have to click one less time.
And THANK YOU for doing that!

I don't know why the hell this forum is dead-set on continuing this practice, it is so freaking annoying ...

Oh, and that video they included in this "new" story?
Published by Ford Media on Apr 21, 2014
Old 10/26/16, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did too on a rental car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVBf...ature=youtu.be
Old 10/28/16, 11:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
FREAKEN awesome that is all I can say. I have a 2003 MACH 1 so there is no automatic line lock for me, I have to do it manually. Quick story; there I was yesterday in the city driving around for a quick coffee after coming from the Kennedy Center listening to Shuen Zen Orchestra. Like usual the cars around you act like they are the only ones on the road and or that one guy who is tail gating you so hard his head is darn near stuck up your tailpipe. When I drove from the first light to the second light, the guy in the back almost hit me and two cars on my right almost hit me as well because the driver was texting and the other was probably thinking they are the only ones on the road driving and getting to where they are going is more important than anyone else's journey. At the second light, turned off my TCS and smoked my tires for 2 seconds when the light hit green. It was amazing, the guy behind me stop tailgating and the cars next to me realized I do exist and not a few thousand pound figment of their of imagination. I finally did get my coffee and enjoyed the rest of drive knowing I can make people aware of my presence with in their existence.

Last edited by PDOGG74; 10/28/16 at 11:32 AM.