GT

How do you drive your Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/16, 09:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
How do you drive your Automatic?

For the longest time I avoided using my paddle shifters because from 0-60 or 1/4 mile, it would never beat what Sport Automatic can do. Main reason being that the factory rev limiter is set to 7000 and I couldn't make it shift right at 7000 like in Sport Automatic mode without risk of bouncing off the rev limiter, so I was always short of maximizing each gear. Plus shifting at WOT is not precise, as the engine can rev a few hundred RPM's before the shift actually occurs, further increasing the chance of bouncing off the rev limiter.

I never explored or considered some of the options in my customer tune such as raising the rev limiter or the option to harden your shifts. I have since raised the rev limiter to 7500 and raised all shifts to +25 value. Now I'm always hitting at least 7000 between shifts and my shifts are hard.

I understand the advantages of manual control in a car but I still think electronically control manual shifting is better overall as it allows you to react quicker and make far less mistakes. Having said that, I just wanted to hear from some of the automatic owners on how they drive and/or race their cars. I'll talk about some of the things I like to do, what I've learned, and my driving habits given my cars setup below.

As mentioned above, I'm using my paddles in manual mode a lot more and really enjoying it, especially when I want to just take off. I rev my engine higher in each gear between shifts and down shift quite often when I want to accelerate or pass cars quick or not. Overall strategy for normal driving is accelerate while at 2500RPM or above. Just to feel the pull when taking off while moving, I'll downshift to the lowest safe gear (the car automatically prevents you from damaging your car when downshifting) and WOT it as the RPM jumps for a violent launch. Downshifting from second to first can be tricky depending on what speed you're currently at. On one occasion, I took notice of what speed I'm at at the end of first gear and I saw ~40mph. When I'm at 20mph for example, it takes longer to downshift from second to first so I have to work on my timing to make it a smooth transition but there almost seems to be hesitation or more difficulty making the transition (first gear is a beast). In automatic mode I want to say it will never downshift to first gear from a higher gear once you reach a certain speed even if the car can. My rear axle ratio is 3.55 btw.

Last edited by ohlang; 6/15/16 at 12:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rpoppertdomi (6/15/16)
Old 6/15/16, 12:37 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
What is an automatic?
The following 2 users liked this post by TripleBlack14:
dburton_mi (6/20/16), rpoppertdomi (6/15/16)
Old 6/15/16, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
What is an automatic?
Thanks for your comment. But to answer your question, that thing that seldom loses races and beats that joystick thingy.
The following 3 users liked this post by ohlang:
Kelly Sloan (7/16/17), Roadk9 (6/24/16), rpoppertdomi (6/15/16)
Old 6/16/16, 07:09 AM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ohlang
Thanks for your comment. But to answer your question, that thing that seldom loses races and beats that joystick thingy.

So, you're content to just be along for the ride instead of actually being involved in driving the car (and don't get "driving the car" confused with "steering the car"; there's a difference). Sure, today's automatics are a vast improvement over the older slush-boxes but as long as I can coordinate my left foot and right hand to change gears, I'll stick with a stick-shift.
Strange...you can't get an automatic in a GT350 or GT350R.
Old 6/16/16, 07:21 AM
FR500 Member

In fairness, were I still working and had to endure a grinding commute twice a day, a stick shift just wouldn't make a lot of sense for me. At the same time, I wouldn't use my Mustang as a DD under those circumstances either, but not everyone is in a position to own two cars.

It's a matter of preference obviously. However, there's only a small percentage of us here who drag race their Mustangs, and I agree....an automatic has the edge. But for those who track their Mustangs would probably prefer a manual.

I do neither. I just like to row through gears.
Old 6/16/16, 07:40 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
I enjoy my auto drop top Mustang every time I take it out. Next Mustang may be a manual though.
Old 6/16/16, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by PTParks
So, you're content to just be along for the ride instead of actually being involved in driving the car (and don't get "driving the car" confused with "steering the car"; there's a difference). Sure, today's automatics are a vast improvement over the older slush-boxes but as long as I can coordinate my left foot and right hand to change gears, I'll stick with a stick-shift.
Maybe if you read what I posted, you wouldn't make all your wrong assumptions about how I drive my car. I mentioned paddle shifters, I mentioned advantages of selecting gears, how electronically control shifting is better for quicker reaction time. So I'm far from just steering my friend. I might assume you're satisfied with a manual on any car, be it an Accord or 4 banger, so why a Mustang? I bought mine to go fast in, as fast as I can.

Strange...you can't get an automatic in a GT350 or GT350R.
Because it's a track car and manuals are cheaper to manufacture. Why do all the super cars have automatic transmissions and hold the fastest track times? Even the current $400K GT is only offered with an automatic? Please don't ask stupid questions.
The following 2 users liked this post by ohlang:
Kelly Sloan (7/16/17), TrikPonyGirl (8/26/16)
Old 6/16/16, 01:57 PM
V6 Member

Maybe if you read what I posted, you wouldn't make all your wrong assumptions about how I drive my car. I mentioned paddle shifters, I mentioned advantages of selecting gears, how electronically control shifting is better for quicker reaction time. So I'm far from just steering my friend. I might assume you're satisfied with a manual on any car, be it an Accord or 4 banger, so why a Mustang? I bought mine to go fast in, as fast as I can.

Because it's a track car and manuals are cheaper to manufacture. Why do all the super cars have automatic transmissions and hold the fastest track times? Even the current $400K GT is only offered with an automatic? Please don't ask stupid questions.

Gee Nancy, sorry I hurt your feelings.
Old 6/16/16, 08:24 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
So, you're content to just be along for the ride instead of actually being involved in driving the car (and don't get "driving the car" confused with "steering the car"; there's a difference). Sure, today's automatics are a vast improvement over the older slush-boxes but as long as I can coordinate my left foot and right hand to change gears, I'll stick with a stick-shift. Strange...you can't get an automatic in a GT350 or GT350R.
True. Looks like he'll have to settle for a GT-R or Z06
Old 6/16/16, 08:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
To stick or not to stick that is the question. To paddle or not to paddle that's up to her.
The following users liked this post:
PTParks (6/17/16)
Old 6/17/16, 06:32 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by GrnT
To stick or not to stick that is the question. To paddle or not to paddle that's up to her.

I see what you did there. Now that's funny!!!
Old 6/17/16, 10:41 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is an automatic?
It's a modern trans not prone to breakage or wheel hop. It is faster and the clutch never needs replacing. It does cost more.
Old 6/17/16, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
We should not attack our brethren based upon their transmission choice. It would be nice if some automatic owners would answer OPs question.

OP has remained remarkably composed while under attack for his choices.

I do have one minor correction though: Supercars like the Ford GT use "automated manual" or "sequential manual" transmissions, not "automatic" transmissions. There is a difference.

And a question, where is it documented that automatic transmissions are less prone to wheel hop? I don't see how the transmission type would affect wheel hop unless we're talking about reducing torque to below wheel hop levels through gearing selection or torque conversion. If so, this is a difference between particular manuals and automatics, not a characteristic of automatics and manuals in general.
Old 6/17/16, 01:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
We should not attack our brethren based upon their transmission choice. It would be nice if some automatic owners would answer OPs question.

OP has remained remarkably composed while under attack for his choices.

I do have one minor correction though: Supercars like the Ford GT use "automated manual" or "sequential manual" transmissions, not "automatic" transmissions. There is a difference.

And a question, where is it documented that automatic transmissions are less prone to wheel hop? I don't see how the transmission type would affect wheel hop unless we're talking about reducing torque to below wheel hop levels through gearing selection or torque conversion. If so, this is a difference between particular manuals and automatics, not a characteristic of automatics and manuals in general.

I think "attack" may be too strong a term; I would say it has been more of a "got'cha" exchange than an all-out verbal assault. We're all big boys and girls here, and should be able to take a fair amount of "ribbing" before our feathers get ruffled to the point of full-on arguing.
Old 6/17/16, 02:17 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my automatic

I have got the best 0>60 times using sport mode in D.
But I also use my thumb to shift up from 1->2->3 with good effect

It will be interesting to see the difference 4:10 gears make
Old 6/17/16, 04:19 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
There's starving kids in China that don't have automatics!
Old 6/17/16, 05:13 PM
FR500 Member

True story...

Although I bought my Mustang out of state, I scheduled a test drive at a local dealer.

The salesman was stereotypical...young, over-aggressive and obnoxious. I didn't like him immediately. He gave me the keys to a GB GT 'vert manual and I waited in the car while he made a copy of my DL.

He returned with my document and as he turned away, I yelled frantically, "MARIO"..he came rushing over and asked what was wrong.

"Mario, what's this extra pedal here on the left for?"

"Umm, Tom....this car is a stick shift." He looked terrified.

I winked at him, pulled away slowly, rowed smoothly through the gears and took 40 minute test drive. Just as I was returning my cell rang...it was Mario calling to see if I was OK.
Old 6/18/16, 05:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mhazelwd
It will be interesting to see the difference 4:10 gears make
Thankfully those gears are not available in the 2015 up cars. And for good reason since it will way over gear these cars.

If Ford keeps making autos like these I'm going to keep buying them. Manuals for me are now a thing of the past.
Old 6/18/16, 06:31 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts
True story...

Although I bought my Mustang out of state, I scheduled a test drive at a local dealer.

The salesman was stereotypical...young, over-aggressive and obnoxious. I didn't like him immediately. He gave me the keys to a GB GT 'vert manual and I waited in the car while he made a copy of my DL.

He returned with my document and as he turned away, I yelled frantically, "MARIO"..he came rushing over and asked what was wrong.

"Mario, what's this extra pedal here on the left for?"

"Umm, Tom....this car is a stick shift." He looked terrified.

I winked at him, pulled away slowly, rowed smoothly through the gears and took 40 minute test drive. Just as I was returning my cell rang...it was Mario calling to see if I was OK.
Ha that's funny. Anytime you can F with a car salesman it's worth it and the universe thanks you.

My story when I bought my car is not so funny. The day I walked into the dealership to order my car with an auto the salesman asked me if I was buying the car for my wife. Ok it's funny.

Last edited by VidPro; 6/18/16 at 06:32 AM.
Old 6/18/16, 07:57 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by VidPro
Ha that's funny. Anytime you can F with a car salesman it's worth it and the universe thanks you.

My story when I bought my car is not so funny. The day I walked into the dealership to order my car with an auto the salesman asked me if I was buying the car for my wife. Ok it's funny.
You should have gotten a very serious and sad look on your face and told him your left leg is a prosthetic limb and you're physically unable to operate a clutch. You might have embarrassed and shamed him into giving you a better deal.

Yeah, it's fun to make car salesmen squirm when they start off by being dicks.

Quick Reply: How do you drive your Automatic?