GT

Headlight Tint...Legal?

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/16, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight Tint...Legal?

So I might have made a boo boo and installed headlight tint before having the car inspected in my state. It's fully removable and was professionally installed along with the (legal) window tint.

I called state police to find out if it was legal (they didn't know), so I called a state inspection station (they didn't know). So...have any of y'all installed headlight tint and had issues getting your car to pass inspection or have you gotten tickets?
Old 8/25/16, 06:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Every state is different. There's no particular federal law regarding this. The federal law regards headlight and taillight placement (and yes, even brightness), as well as mandatory reflectors. But as long as you pass those, you're good in all 50 states...

...except those which spell it out. Like Texas, smoked/tint isn't legal for any lights. Doesn't stop anyone from doing it, of course. Much like me not (yet) putting on my front license plate on my new bumper.. it's so pretty, I don't wanna screw it up. That, and I have the sto-n-go that I need to stick on it, but she's lowered and I don't wanna screw up the plate/that sto-n-go, so... yeah.

Anyway, Texas wants a front plate, so I'm being naughty. Do the cops stop me? Not so far. I'm sure I've just jinxed it too by mentioning it...

Anyway, you need to check your state's laws regarding such things. Some states don't care, some are *seriously* gonna mess your day up about it (New York tint laws come to mind).

By the way, I don't recommend it. Sure it looks good, but you reduce the light on the road at night. Ditto tail lights. You people (in general, whippersnappers) that ting and DON'T put brighter running and braking lights for night time use in those smoked/tinted lights are putting everyone in danger.

That's all I'm gonna rant on that, do what y'all want, I don't wanna fight about it.

Last edited by houtex; 8/25/16 at 06:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TrikPonyGirl (8/25/16)
Old 8/25/16, 07:21 PM

Hey, I hear ya! I don't want to be a ticket magnet, so we'll definitely watch out for the reduced light emission from the headlights. I'm sure the state inspection site will be able to tell us if it's bright enough. Thanks for your info!
Old 8/25/16, 08:05 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I had tinted headlights but I also had aftermarket HIDs so it made up for it.

After about the second year I couldn't find anyone locally to accept them in inspection so I had to put the untinted headlights in and went back to stock bulbs.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 8/25/16 at 08:07 PM.
TrikPonyGirl (8/25/16)
Old 8/25/16, 08:29 PM

Thanks! I am starting to get a bad feeling that it won't pass inspection. *sigh*
Old 8/25/16, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TrikPonyGirl
So I might have made a boo boo and installed headlight tint before having the car inspected in my state. It's fully removable and was professionally installed along with the (legal) window tint.

I called state police to find out if it was legal (they didn't know), so I called a state inspection station (they didn't know). So...have any of y'all installed headlight tint and had issues getting your car to pass inspection or have you gotten tickets?
Thanks! I am starting to get a bad feeling that it won't pass inspection. *sigh*
Take it to the inspection station that didn't know whether it was legal. How can they fail you on something they don't know?
Old 8/26/16, 05:02 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Take it to the inspection station that didn't know whether it was legal. How can they fail you on something they don't know?
Well they should know and if they don't they would probably look it up.
TrikPonyGirl (8/26/16)
Old 8/26/16, 08:57 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I always find the posts interesting that start, "I tinted my headlights..." and the go on to say, "and now I can't see at night". No kidding, you blocked the light and expect the stock bulbs to cut through that and give you the same amount of nighttime light?

And agreed on the taillight tint. I've seen many near rear enders in heavy rush hour traffic on the highway when the tint was so dark it was hard to see the brake lights.
Old 8/26/16, 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Well they should know and if they don't they would probably look it up.
I understand, but it's highly likely that if they didn't bother to look it up when you called it's also unlikely they care enough to look it up while you're there. Sounds like the only way to find out is read your local MVD laws or go down there. And heck, if you're there you might as well take a chance and get your car inspected because it's clear they don't have passion for their work.
Old 8/26/16, 12:02 PM

It's important to note that we're trying to NOT be illegal or dangerous. Someone who didn't care wouldn't go to the trouble to contact state police and inspections stations. We did not tint the tail lights. And of course we'll order new head light bulbs to increase lumen output.
Old 8/26/16, 06:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
It's important to note that we're trying to NOT be illegal or dangerous. Someone who didn't care wouldn't go to the trouble to contact state police and inspections stations. We did not tint the tail lights. And of course we'll order new head light bulbs to increase lumen output.
Not intentionally, no, you're not... but now that you've done it, you're finding out that it's being illegal (potentially, most likely) and dangerous (more probably than not unless you compensate for the tinting/smoking.)

And now that you *do* know this... and you don't compensate/knock it off, then the reality is that you are indeed trying to be illegal or dangerous, but now are weighing the pros/cons... when in fact you should just knock it off, if it's illegal, period, end of story.

But that's me, and I'm not tryin' to be uber fussy about it. It's your car, your scenarios, your balance of fun/danger/impishness and who am I to tell you what to do?

Just that you're aware now and will do what you will, consequences be what they be.

Last edited by houtex; 8/26/16 at 06:50 PM.