Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

California smog legal power mods

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/16, 04:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
California smog legal power mods

Ok, before people tell me you can return it stock for smog checks in California, I've lived that life before and truthfully it's too much work for me. I'd like to hear what everyone has done that's smog legal to add some power to my car.

I know a tune isn't strictly legal but I'm talking about what will pass when I drive up to smog check with my car and pass. I'm talking tail pipe and visual inspection pass.

What have you guys done?
Old 5/28/16, 05:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Oh, I probably should mention I want to stay naturally aspirated.
Old 5/31/16, 01:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You can buy CARB legal cai's and tunes. The only thing that would be a major problem would be long tube headers.
Old 5/31/16, 01:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
K&N CAI, shorty headers, catback and tune is about all you can do. There are other CAI that are CARB legal too.

I believe Whipple, Kenne Bell and Edelbrock have 50-state legal supercharger kits btw...
Old 6/4/16, 08:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
K&N CAI, shorty headers, catback and tune is about all you can do. There are other CAI that are CARB legal too.

I believe Whipple, Kenne Bell and Edelbrock have 50-state legal supercharger kits btw...
Lol. How did I know you'd go to the evil of forced induction? I'm just surprised you waited till your second point.

It does seem like the only power adder that makes sense is a blower. I don't want to have to swap stuff for smog. lol, California doesn't leave very many options.
Old 6/4/16, 08:30 AM
Bullitt Member

No, they don't and your gas is **** so, you can't even take maximum advantage of the blower. Best to stick with a bigger pulley and try to tune around the crap 91 you have.
Old 6/9/16, 06:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Lol. How did I know you'd go to the evil of forced induction? I'm just surprised you waited till your second point.

It does seem like the only power adder that makes sense is a blower. I don't want to have to swap stuff for smog. lol, California doesn't leave very many options.
I have a ported GT500 blower that I was going to use in conjunction with a Department of Boost kit - figured it would look OEM and maybe I'd get away with it. I decided against it in the end. Can't even use the power we have now, why add another 150??
Old 6/10/16, 01:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Because when you can use it, it's addicting.
Old 6/10/16, 11:18 AM
Cobra R Member

I have a ported GT500 blower that I was going to use in conjunction with a Department of Boost kit - figured it would look OEM and maybe I'd get away with it. I decided against it in the end. Can't even use the power we have now, why add another 150??
I live by some places where you can legally let it run a bit. I'm not really looking for 150 hp more. I'm really wanting about 40 more. I was hoping there was a naturally aspirated solution for this goal. It seems like everything that would help me get there is illegal here.
Old 6/10/16, 11:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TommyV
Because when you can use it, it's addicting.
Lol, this is very true.
Old 6/10/16, 01:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I live by some places where you can legally let it run a bit. I'm not really looking for 150 hp more. I'm really wanting about 40 more. I was hoping there was a naturally aspirated solution for this goal. It seems like everything that would help me get there is illegal here.
I'm gonna do the Cobra Jet eventually and call it a day. Then I'll have to remove it for smog though...and have to go through re-pinning the TB lol
Old 6/11/16, 08:49 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm gonna do the Cobra Jet eventually and call it a day. Then I'll have to remove it for smog though...and have to go through re-pinning the TB lol
Lol! That's what I'm trying to avoid. This site has so much temptation. When I was in my 20s that was my solution. In my 40s, I want to put stuff on and leave it on. Please post how you like the cobra jet after you do it. I'm sure it'll make me rethink my stance and changing things back and forth for smog.
Old 6/17/16, 01:58 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
OP, is the desire to stay naturally aspirate due to cost? or other reasons?

As mentioned above by others, going the dark side, and getting a blower is very desirable, indeed. Someone mentioned that additional power is unusable. Though somewhat true, the times that I truly get "on" it, on the street? Oh my....... what joy that is. It wipes away any bad day, stress, etc. in an instant. I definitely "use" it. lol

So that being said, if cost was not your deterrent, I too, suggest crossing over to the dark side for your "legal" power adder in the beloved state of Cali.
Old 7/12/16, 09:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
OP, is the desire to stay naturally aspirate due to cost? or other reasons?

As mentioned above by others, going the dark side, and getting a blower is very desirable, indeed. Someone mentioned that additional power is unusable. Though somewhat true, the times that I truly get "on" it, on the street? Oh my....... what joy that is. It wipes away any bad day, stress, etc. in an instant. I definitely "use" it. lol

So that being said, if cost was not your deterrent, I too, suggest crossing over to the dark side for your "legal" power adder in the beloved state of Cali.
Lol. The call of the dark side is strong. I wanted to stay naturally aspirated because I'm not really a quarter mile guy. I usually just bring my car to a local canyon and drive for fun. I like the balance and feel is my car as is. Im honestly scared that a supercharger would spoil that. I just felt a little more umph would make my girl a lot more fun. Im starting to think a tune is my answer. It won't get me all I want but it seems to be the only thing that fits my criteria.
Old 7/12/16, 02:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Dang...looks like living in California isn't all it's cracked up to be
Old 7/12/16, 11:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
Dang...looks like living in California isn't all it's cracked up to be
The weather and food is amazing. Just don't own a car or a gun here.
Old 7/12/16, 11:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The weather and food is amazing. Just don't own a car or a gun here.
The first two do not make up for the latter two.
Old 7/13/16, 06:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
lmao
Old 7/13/16, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
The first two do not make up for the latter two.
I don't know. Not being able to drive my car for5 months or go outside for more than a minute in a T shirt is a steeeeep ****ing price to pay if you ask me
Old 7/13/16, 10:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I don't know. Not being able to drive my car for5 months or go outside for more than a minute in a T shirt is a steeeeep ****ing price to pay if you ask me
There's other states that don't have those issue lol

Quick Reply: California smog legal power mods