GT

Gettin' Ready to Pull The Trigger: Long Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/17, 07:04 AM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Gettin' Ready to Pull The Trigger: Long Tube Headers

JBA 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers have been ordered from Stage 3 Motorsports. The parts are being drop shipped to my favorite custom exhaust shop in Raleigh, NC. Installation date TBD but I will take some photos of the install and post them here. I already have my updated tune from Steeda loaded in my SCT programmer. With the Steeda CAI, X-Pipe and Flowmasters previously installed the sound should be off the charts. Can't wait.
Old 8/20/17, 02:38 PM
GT Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
sounds good!! i want to get some headers for my car but not sure yet!! i had to get away from steeda as they screwed me over but glad your having good luck with them!!
Old 8/28/17, 06:00 PM
V6 Member

IT'S DONE!!

Had the headers installed last Thursday by Henry's Muffler Shop in Raleigh NC. Great bunch of guys and they do expert work.

So...

1. The install is as difficult as it can be. Parts have to be removed before you can even think about unbolting the stock headers: Starter, motor mount brackets, motor mounts, steering shaft, and of course the stock catalytic converters.

2. The motor has to be braced since the motor mounts are out. the techs braced the transmission housing instead of the motor (directions said brace at edge of oil pan. Techs said, "No Way!").

3. I think every socket extension that both techs owned was used at some point to get to the header nuts, plus a lot of feeling around just to locate and seat the socket since it was impossible to see some of them.

4. The directions said remove the stock header studs, but the senior tech wanted to try and see if the headers could be mounted with the studs in place since the studs were 10mm instead of the earlier version 8mm studs. It worked like a charm. Techs said it was easier to locate the studs with a nut instead of fishing for a hole with a bolt. Of course, they still had to go by feel to find the studs and get the nut started. The parade of socket extensions resumed.

5. Once the headers were on and bolted up, the catalytics were next. Since everything is under that car at that point there were no issues getting everything lined up and tightened.

6. We inventoried everything before we started but totally missed that there were no O2 wire extensions included in the boxes. All of the sensors had just enough length to reach except 1 sensor (CRAP!!). Fortunately, the shop keeps all the sensor wires from sensors they remove/replace and one of the techs did a great solder and heat wrap job to lengthen the one short sensor wire (WHEW!!).

7. Cold Startup: OMFG! My neighbors are gonna kill me!! Very raspy and loud (X-Pipe installed earlier eliminated the center resonator), however, it quickly settled down to just a slightly louder idle. Of course, any revving immediately raised the decibel level significantly.

8. I added the tune I got from Steeda and started my way home. The car ran like crap with a significant loss of torque at low RPMS and what sounded like something was loose or rubbing somewhere. I'll figure this out when I get home (CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!!)

9. Once I got home I made sure the SCT tuner was up to date (it was), and I went out and repeated loading the stock tune, then loading the header tune. I don't know what I did wrong the first time, but this time the car responded like I had expected it to the first time. Great acceleration and a much fatter mid-range from 3K rpm and up. All the weird sounds I heard from the first attempt went away. Interior noise is up a little but I can still listen to the radio with the windows down...until I get on it!!!

The JBA headers fit like a glove. The stock parts hardly qualify as headers compared to the design of the long tube headers.

BTW, I took pictures, but they are not much different from the ones I've seen on other installs. YouTube videos are the ticket to see what needs to get done to install a set of long tube headers.

Questions?

Last edited by PTParks; 8/28/17 at 06:06 PM.
Old 8/28/17, 06:11 PM
GT Member

The x-pipe is off road? Also I can get the headers and off road h-pipe for 690. Its the natural stainless but I guess that's ok for the price. I have no resonators now and roush so im sure its goinc to be loud LmAo

I had gutted cats on there and loved the sound and now since putting my cats back on its too quiet lol

How much did you pay for install?
Old 8/28/17, 07:21 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by renee29581
The x-pipe is off road? Also I can get the headers and off road h-pipe for 690. Its the natural stainless but I guess that's ok for the price. I have no resonators now and roush so im sure its goinc to be loud LmAo

I had gutted cats on there and loved the sound and now since putting my cats back on its too quiet lol

How much did you pay for install?
The x-pipe took the place of the stock center resonator, not the catalytic converters. I installed low-restriction catalytic converters along with the long tube headers.

Install took about 5 hours total using 2 techs, except during their lunch break where the install was down to a single tech working on the car. Installation cost was $500 + NC sales tax ($38), which is what I was originally quoted. Worth every penny.
Old 8/28/17, 07:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PTParks
The x-pipe took the place of the stock center resonator, not the catalytic converters. I installed low-restriction catalytic converters along with the long tube headers.

Install took about 5 hours total using 2 techs, except during their lunch break where the install was down to a single tech working on the car. Installation cost was $500 + NC sales tax ($38), which is what I was originally quoted. Worth every penny.
oh ok got ya!! Yea I just went ahead and did off road. Lol. I have some steeda axlebacks and pipes with resonators if its too much.
that's not too bad. They want 450 at a shop over here
Old 8/29/17, 05:35 AM
GT Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PTParks
Had the headers installed last Thursday by Henry's Muffler Shop in Raleigh NC. Great bunch of guys and they do expert work.

So...

1. The install is as difficult as it can be. Parts have to be removed before you can even think about unbolting the stock headers: Starter, motor mount brackets, motor mounts, steering shaft, and of course the stock catalytic converters.

2. The motor has to be braced since the motor mounts are out. the techs braced the transmission housing instead of the motor (directions said brace at edge of oil pan. Techs said, "No Way!").

3. I think every socket extension that both techs owned was used at some point to get to the header nuts, plus a lot of feeling around just to locate and seat the socket since it was impossible to see some of them.

4. The directions said remove the stock header studs, but the senior tech wanted to try and see if the headers could be mounted with the studs in place since the studs were 10mm instead of the earlier version 8mm studs. It worked like a charm. Techs said it was easier to locate the studs with a nut instead of fishing for a hole with a bolt. Of course, they still had to go by feel to find the studs and get the nut started. The parade of socket extensions resumed.

5. Once the headers were on and bolted up, the catalytics were next. Since everything is under that car at that point there were no issues getting everything lined up and tightened.

6. We inventoried everything before we started but totally missed that there were no O2 wire extensions included in the boxes. All of the sensors had just enough length to reach except 1 sensor (CRAP!!). Fortunately, the shop keeps all the sensor wires from sensors they remove/replace and one of the techs did a great solder and heat wrap job to lengthen the one short sensor wire (WHEW!!).

7. Cold Startup: OMFG! My neighbors are gonna kill me!! Very raspy and loud (X-Pipe installed earlier eliminated the center resonator), however, it quickly settled down to just a slightly louder idle. Of course, any revving immediately raised the decibel level significantly.

8. I added the tune I got from Steeda and started my way home. The car ran like crap with a significant loss of torque at low RPMS and what sounded like something was loose or rubbing somewhere. I'll figure this out when I get home (CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!!)

9. Once I got home I made sure the SCT tuner was up to date (it was), and I went out and repeated loading the stock tune, then loading the header tune. I don't know what I did wrong the first time, but this time the car responded like I had expected it to the first time. Great acceleration and a much fatter mid-range from 3K rpm and up. All the weird sounds I heard from the first attempt went away. Interior noise is up a little but I can still listen to the radio with the windows down...until I get on it!!!

The JBA headers fit like a glove. The stock parts hardly qualify as headers compared to the design of the long tube headers.

BTW, I took pictures, but they are not much different from the ones I've seen on other installs. YouTube videos are the ticket to see what needs to get done to install a set of long tube headers.

Questions?
I remember when I installed mine... I did it twice, once on my '14 and again one my '16. As difficult as it was, It was extremely satisfying and well worth it! You'll love the sound over time! The looks and compliments will come reeling in.