GT

Best intake with no tune???

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/15, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best intake with no tune???

So I'm looking for intakes and I'm not going to tune my car at the moment... (I know I know) but the intakes I was looking at are the bbk intake and the steeda intake. I would like to know which you guys would go with performance wise and which intake sounds better. Later down the line when I go to full bolt ons I'm going to go with the jlt intake and x4 tune but for now just want a simple good sounding and best performance intake. Just for info I have a 2015 gt automatic. Thanks for opinions.

Last edited by dillonb123; 6/26/15 at 07:08 PM.
Old 6/26/15, 07:05 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
For 2011-2014, Roush. Don't know what year yours is.
Old 6/26/15, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
For 2011-2014, Roush. Don't know what year yours is.
Sorry and a 2015
Old 6/27/15, 09:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Hello Dillon,

Our unit is the best of both worlds ... you can remove the insert at a later date if you are looking to tune it with out the restictor plate in place:

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-proflow...2015-555-3193/

There are a lot of great reviews here & on the forums:

Wow what a difference! I tested my quarter mile with the track app before I installed the cai. All stock ran 13.40@107 slightly spinning in 1st gear. The mph is the same as other automatics with 3.55s. Then I installed the cai and drove a couple of days so the computer could relearn itself. Day 2 i tested it and it ran a 13.00@111 spinning threw most of 1st. My mpg also increased to 24.5 from previous stock best of 22.5. Maybe the factory installed a 4 cylinder intake but this cai really did wake it up!

WES
Very nice add-on for the Mustang. Install was straight-forward, but be sure that the inlet snorkel, which is reused, fits around the intake shroud. The instructions failed to detail this bit. Easy install for someone who takes the time to do it right. Intake is much louder, it sounds like a muscle car should, especially under full throttle. One thought - the intake is made of heavy plastic and the tube is metal - would have preferred a lighter weight product to not add overall weight.

MY CAR IS NOW AT: 415.69 RWHP AND 376.85 FT LBS TQ.
Installation was fairly straight-forward and detailed instructions were provided with the package. It actually took me about 2 hours but this was my first time installing a Cold Air Intake, but for someone experienced I'm sure they could of tackled this task in less than an hour.

I then went ahead and contacted Steeda Tuning for them to create my custom tune (they create the best tune based on your current mods, type of Octane gas you use, etc), and a few days later Matt from Steeda provided me with my custom tune files.

Then the fun begins!! Time for the tune.

Once the device told me everything was completed I unplugged the device and turned on my car, it was time to enjoy the new tune I felt and noticed the torque increase immediately and the car just feels much more snappier and faster overall. My car is 100% stock except for the intake and a muffler delete and I still felt the performance increase. Needless to say I'm a very happy camper, thank you Steeda and SCT!!

Conclusion: I would highly recommend this intake and tuner combination. Certainly a must-have "mod". The gains are definitely noticeable even with my stock car and it's well worth the money. David@Steeda, Matt and Patrick at Steeda have been EXTREMELY helpful and answered all of my questions/concerns before I bought this. And Matt was quick to send me my custom tune

My car is now at: 415.69 rwhp and 376.85 ft lbs tq.

For those interested I'd recommend getting the Steeda Ultimate Induction Pack, which includes the intake and tuner for a total of $709.95.

Keep up the great work Steeda! I also have their sway bars and they definitely improve handling with the new Mustang's. In addition I just bought steeda's new Tri-Ax Short Throw Shifter too, haven't gotten the time to install it yet - but when I do, I'll be sure to keep all of you guys updated!
GREAT CAI
Install complete and I can tell a nice difference even with the restrictor in. Thanks, David. Great CAI.

ED
WOW YOU WANT POWER WITH THIS CAI BY STEEDA YOU WILL GET IT EASY INSTALL GREAT PERFORMANCE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK
GETTING 3-4 MPG BETTER MILEAGE
The CAI was easy to install and sounds great. Combined with the tune, the car pulls much harder in the mid to upper rev range. I have had no negative side affects. I am also getting 3-4 mpg better mileage as well. I am loving it!

Next up for me will be a set of Steeda springs and sway bars.
- See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-proflow....sWjHtEin.dpuf
Plus ... I am always around either via email at tim@steeda.com or on the boards ... you can't go wrong with the Steeda unit.

Lastly, here are a couple additional articles/videos that were done on the CAI:

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2012/03/m...-intake-truth/

Best Regards.

TJ
Old 6/27/15, 09:54 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
I have a Steeda intake on my '13 GT and love it. Of course I also installed a tune. Sounds great, even after I did the sound tube delete. In a month or so I'll be switching to the sounds of a procharger though. But the Steeda intake has worked great for over two years and over 24,000 miles on my car.
Old 6/27/15, 10:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
As I'm sure you know, the gains are from the tune taking advantage of increased air flow. The intake by itself does nothing but make noise.

From there, any opened top intake is inferior to the stock box. The seal on the top that closes to the hood inevitably fails and heat gets in.

So I'd say for a 2015, neither of your choices are very good. The air raid with the closed box and see through top is the best bet to go. They also have the tube to go with no tune now and tune later. Keeps the heat out. And looks great.
Old 6/27/15, 01:27 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
As I'm sure you know, the gains are from the tune taking advantage of increased air flow. The intake by itself does nothing but make noise.

From there, any opened top intake is inferior to the stock box. The seal on the top that closes to the hood inevitably fails and heat gets in.

So I'd say for a 2015, neither of your choices are very good. The air raid with the closed box and see through top is the best bet to go. They also have the tube to go with no tune now and tune later. Keeps the heat out. And looks great.
Correct. Without a tune an intake is just eye candy and provides a more aggressive sound. My experience with the open top intake box has been that at speed, it runs inlets temps the same as ambient. It does seem to heat up faster in stop and go traffic, but cools quickly once you hit 50 MPH.
Old 6/27/15, 02:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have a Steeda intake on my '13 GT and love it. Of course I also installed a tune. Sounds great, even after I did the sound tube delete. In a month or so I'll be switching to the sounds of a procharger though. But the Steeda intake has worked great for over two years and over 24,000 miles on my car.
And many more miles to come!!
Old 6/28/15, 12:06 PM

I do understand that your not going to get full performance out of an intake without a tune but there are some differences with intakes and some do give slightly more horsepower than others. But I do appreciate all the comments and opinions. Probably going to go with steeda it looks like, still doing a little more research.
Old 8/9/15, 03:12 PM

Steeda makes GOOD stuff!
Old 8/9/15, 04:12 PM
V6 Member

I have Volant
Old 8/10/15, 04:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The stock one is the best.
Old 8/10/15, 01:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Steeda makes GOOD stuff!
Love to hear it ... can't go wrong with Made in the U.S.A. parts!!

Best Regards,

TJ