Ecoboost

The New EcoBoost Mustang Lies

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/14, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Lies? Fake? Sometimes I hate the internet.

Ford have been up front about this from the beginning and their engineers will have been working d*** hard to ensure we get one of the best sounding 4-cylinder engines out there. Can you imagine how it must feel to have all that hard work ridiculed on the internet?

Let's think why they did this. 4-cylinder engines are not usually the most pleasant in terms of noises, and Ford know we LOVE the sound our Mustang engines make. They know its important to us. So they develop an amazing system and all they get is this!

Just listen to this. For me this IS the best sounding, modern, 4-cylinder I've ever heard.

2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost 2.3L Performance Package - WR TV POV Test Drive - YouTube

They've been doing this to euro cars now for several years to try to make them sound better. Some cars even offer different engine sound tracks you can choose from.

That's not the 4 cylinder engine you're hearing. It's more like watching an old Bruce Lee movie where he's speaking chinese and some dude is doing his voice-over for english. lol.

Last edited by Critical Mass; 9/26/14 at 02:25 PM.
Old 9/26/14, 05:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
The African fork tailed Drongo bird actually mimics the sounds of predator Meercats.

Once other birds hear this false call, they flee from the sound. The Drongo then swoops in and steals their food.

Don't be afraid to swoop my friends.
Old 9/26/14, 05:18 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4-cylinder engines are not usually the most pleasant in terms of noises,
idk, my Lotus 907 DOHC 4 valve in my '74 Jensen-Healey had that melodious British open roadster tone. No its not a V8 rumble, but I'm sure Ford can make a 4 sound better than a Japanese fart can special.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/26/14 at 05:20 PM.
Old 9/26/14, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cdynaco
idk, my Lotus 907 DOHC 4 valve in my '74 Jensen-Healey had that melodious British open roadster tone. No its not a V8 rumble, but I'm sure Ford can make a 4 sound better than a Japanese fart can special.

This.
Old 9/27/14, 12:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by J Banner

How has the Dodge Challenger become the most technological, forward-thinking, reasonably-priced car out there? Let me explain what I mean. Last night we learned that the new Mustang EcoBoost uses fake engine noises pumped in through the speakers, and with the simple task of removing a fuse, both the stereo and what was thought as exhaust noises, disappears.

The same can be said about the BMW M3, M4, and M5. Even the almighty noise of a Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG is fake. Why, you might ask? Because all of these cars are turbocharged.

At this point you are likely saying, “But wait, Jonathon, aren't some racecars turbocharged? And aren’t they loud as all hell?” Your question is exactly why I am writing this.

Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage. >>

Actually the F8X M3/4 doesn't have fake noise. They pipe the intake resonance into the audio system. The M5/6 has fake noise. The E9X M3 doesn't do this...you get to hear all 8 individual throttle bodies of that glorious V8.

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 9/27/14 at 12:22 AM.
Old 9/27/14, 12:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Actually the F8X M3/4 doesn't have fake noise. They pipe the intake resonance into the audio system. The M5/6 has fake noise. The E9X M3 doesn't do this...you get to hear all 8 individual throttle bodies of that glorious V8. Dave
And a glorious induction noise, they do make.
Old 9/27/14, 07:04 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Ah yes, that why I said "not usually"

Many older 4-pots sounded great. Even the old MGB sounded good, as did the A-series in the Mini.

It's much less common for a modern 4-pot to sound good. There are some nice ones out there, but most are mundane to listen to
Old 9/27/14, 11:25 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ah yes, that why I said "not usually"

Many older 4-pots sounded great. Even the old MGB sounded good, as did the A-series in the Mini.

It's much less common for a modern 4-pot to sound good. There are some nice ones out there, but most are mundane to listen to
then you are in for a treat

Old 9/27/14, 01:28 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTJayC
Addressing drone via something mechanical, and even pumping natural intake sounds into the cabin via the sound tube, are very different than using the stereo to synthesize engine noise, or remove it.

Read that again.
I said if it was used in the same way as the Eco, people would be all over it.

My point is, and this is a yes or no question,
Does it alter the original sound of the engine, either electronically or mechanically?
The answer is YES. Mufflers, resonators, sound tubes, noise cancellation and emphasis techniques.

It doesn't add anything that is not being produced by the engine.

But I guess everyone is complaining about how they all want to listen to a 'less than desirable noise' coming into the cabin.
I'd put money on if it was a choice to have it on or off, people would never leave it off.
Old 9/27/14, 05:34 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tbone004
What amazes me is most people complaining about the EB Mustang, haven't even sat in one let alone drive one.

I guess, I've read more people upset that the V6 has been relegated to crap can status and not being offered with the same level of trim as the rest of the line-up

I think the issue with the sound being generated by the EB Mustang is one of "why do I need to be reminded I'm driving a Mustang?" Much like the sound tube on the V8 where both imply that the car is some sort of caricature of past Mustangs in its quest for refinement.

Its interesting that manufacturers are turning to this sort of thing as it seems modern cars are reaching a point where they've become too refined and are starting to lose character.
Old 9/27/14, 06:04 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

As Shakespeare once wrote; "Much Ado about Nothing".

Magnaflow offers customers the opportunity to change the way a Mustang sounds—their engineers have spent considerable amounts of time and money to “tune” the sound of their mufflers. (This is no way an endorsement of Magnaflow, I am sure the same is true of Borla and other reputable manufacturers.) Are these companies fake? Is the sound a lie because they have put in the time and the research to bring a specific muffler sound to their customers ? Think of that the next you hear a Mustang go by and ask yourself is the sound you hear the result of the motor, or is it the result of carefully tuned resonating chambers amplifying certain frequencies and carefully applied damping materials designed to negate or mute undesirable frequencies. (What do you think that "acoustical fiber fill" in the muffler does? Hint: it isn't about horsepower.)
Old 9/28/14, 11:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

This deal about the fake sound from the radio in the Mustang makes me feel like I had a bad dream and cant wake up from it.
Old 9/28/14, 12:37 PM

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/28/2...seconds-video/

....but some of y'all are worried about how it sounds.

Please.
Old 9/28/14, 01:04 PM
GT Member

I read all the hate... And I just think about what's going to happen when people start tuning these buggers... If the 2.3 is anything like the 2.0 in the focus st, there is still a lot of torque left un-touched... And we had noise pumped into the cabin in the ST. The people that didn't like it through on a cat back and unplugged the sound symposer. It is not an excellent sounding exhaust note that way to be honest... The intake noise sounds pretty **** good the way it comes from the factory in the ST lineup! I had no shame with that. Fake... Pumped in... Whatever. It's about how it makes you feel. If you don't like it don't buy it or buy it and put on an exhaust and tune it. I think people will be pleasantly surprised by how fast the EB mustang will accept mods and tunes.

Honestly, I don't think the Ecoboost mustang is there for the traditional mustang "muscle" enthusiast. It's there for those cross shopping other RWD sports cars that are in that price point. Gen Coupe, BRZ, V6 challenger and camaro, 370z etc... Now the Gen coupe isn't the only turbo four rwd coupe offering around, it's a nice blend of tuning ability, economy, and sportiness.

If you don't like the sound or the whole thought of a 4 banger mustang (which I do in the global scheme of things, but I drive a v8) then buy the **** V8. If you want hp AND 30 mpg and want it to sound like a v8... Drink some more kool aid
Old 9/28/14, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by barebone- 5.0
I read all the hate... And I just think about what's going to happen when people start tuning these buggers... If the 2.3 is anything like the 2.0 in the focus st, there is still a lot of torque left un-touched... And we had noise pumped into the cabin in the ST. The people that didn't like it through on a cat back and unplugged the sound symposer. It is not an excellent sounding exhaust note that way to be honest... The intake noise sounds pretty **** good the way it comes from the factory in the ST lineup! I had no shame with that. Fake... Pumped in... Whatever. It's about how it makes you feel. If you don't like it don't buy it or buy it and put on an exhaust and tune it. I think people will be pleasantly surprised by how fast the EB mustang will accept mods and tunes.

Honestly, I don't think the Ecoboost mustang is there for the traditional mustang "muscle" enthusiast. It's there for those cross shopping other RWD sports cars that are in that price point. Gen Coupe, BRZ, V6 challenger and camaro, 370z etc... Now the Gen coupe isn't the only turbo four rwd coupe offering around, it's a nice blend of tuning ability, economy, and sportiness.

If you don't like the sound or the whole thought of a 4 banger mustang (which I do in the global scheme of things, but I drive a v8) then buy the **** V8. If you want hp AND 30 mpg and want it to sound like a v8... Drink some more kool aid
Well said.
Old 9/29/14, 07:01 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bt4
As Shakespeare once wrote; "Much Ado about Nothing".

Magnaflow offers customers the opportunity to change the way a Mustang sounds—their engineers have spent considerable amounts of time and money to “tune” the sound of their mufflers. (This is no way an endorsement of Magnaflow, I am sure the same is true of Borla and other reputable manufacturers.) Are these companies fake? Is the sound a lie because they have put in the time and the research to bring a specific muffler sound to their customers ? Think of that the next you hear a Mustang go by and ask yourself is the sound you hear the result of the motor, or is it the result of carefully tuned resonating chambers amplifying certain frequencies and carefully applied damping materials designed to negate or mute undesirable frequencies. (What do you think that "acoustical fiber fill" in the muffler does? Hint: it isn't about horsepower.)
Exactly - It's Mustang tradition to use technology (yes exhausts are technology) to change the sound of the car. I don't understand how this is anything different. And if the car truly is just canceling certain frequencies and enhancing others, then this system should be perfectly compatible with changing the exhaust and it will just make the difference in the new exhaust that much more pronounced.

Now I mentioned a big "IF" there... It remains to be seen if this system is playing a recording or just muting and enhancing certain frequencies. So far from what I've read Ford is stating that it is not playing a recording.
Old 9/29/14, 12:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

Engine sounds coming through a radio is just wrong. I just want to hear the exhaust sound, good or bad. I don't want an imitation sound coming from the radio that cant be heard outside the car. Fake engine sounds are just plain lame !
Old 9/29/14, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AWmustang
Exactly - It's Mustang tradition to use technology (yes exhausts are technology) to change the sound of the car. I don't understand how this is anything different. And if the car truly is just canceling certain frequencies and enhancing others, then this system should be perfectly compatible with changing the exhaust and it will just make the difference in the new exhaust that much more pronounced.

Now I mentioned a big "IF" there... It remains to be seen if this system is playing a recording or just muting and enhancing certain frequencies. So far from what I've read Ford is stating that it is not playing a recording.
There is nothing that "remains to be seen". The Car and Driver reviewer clearly stated that when he pulled the fuse for the stereo that the engine went quiet. Why? Because engine sounds were being played over the speakers. The debate on this is over and there is no room for subjective points of view on it I'm afraid. The car plays fake engine sounds over the stereo and that's it. Even if its just reprocessed sounds of the engine in the car it is still playing fake sound over the stereo. And no that is not the same thing as putting an aftermarket exhaust on the car to change the sound. Not even remotely the same.
Old 9/29/14, 03:12 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AWmustang
Exactly - It's Mustang tradition to use technology (yes exhausts are technology) to change the sound of the car.
I don't understand how this is anything different.
Because they took the lazy route (digital) vs actual sound engineering of exhaust components.
You're right - they know how to modify tone such as in Bullitt where they mimicked the movie sound track - of two different cars. Using CAI, intake baffles, H-pipe with baffle, custom axle backs, packed tips; you get the nice mellow 60's glass pack burble at idle/lower rpms - to the higher pitched GT40 tone that becomes dominant in the cabin when at 5k up (without some hokey sound tube). It's delicious!!

Pretty sure Ford could have done a great job on the EB4 without 'digital interference' if they had tried.

From an engineer on Bullitt that used to post here:

The system is retuned (within the existing package) from front to back. Aside from the tips, there is no way to tell what has changed beyond looking at part numbers. The h-pipe is modified internally as are the mufflers (completely different design on the inside). The exhaust tips were designed to work with the rest of the exhaust changes and were critical to delivering this sound (though the basic sound comes from the h-pipe and muffler redesign). Emcon is our exhaust supplier (recently spun off from ArvinMeritor). I provided them the target sound I was looking for and we worked together to come up with the engineering changes to deliver the sound. Lots of computer modeling coupled with in vehicle fine tuning. I will take exclusive credit for the tips, though! To go along with the signature sound, I made it as loud as legally possible, too.
I spent a great deal of time on this exhaust system. Sounds like most of you like it. If you compare the layout of the S197 exhaust system to that of either the SN95 or even the '68, you'll see that it is substantially different.
Getting the S197 Bullitt to sound the way it does forced us to sharpen our pencils and put on our thinking caps. It was sort of like trying to make a clarinet sound like a tuba (maybe not the best analogy). Hope this info helps.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/29/14 at 03:15 PM.
Old 9/29/14, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't consider myself to be an audiophile but the part that bothers me the most is the fact Ford is injecting noise into the audio system. Are you kidding me. Whatever happened to search for the purest and cleanest audio output?

Quick Reply: The New EcoBoost Mustang Lies