Ecoboost

The New EcoBoost Mustang Lies

Old 9/25/14, 06:07 PM
TMS Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The New EcoBoost Mustang Lies

How has the Dodge Challenger become the most technological, forward-thinking, reasonably-priced car out there? Let me explain what I mean. Last night we learned that the new Mustang EcoBoost uses fake engine noises pumped in through the speakers, and with the simple task of removing a fuse, both the stereo and what was thought as exhaust noises, disappears.

The same can be said about the BMW M3, M4, and M5. Even the almighty noise of a Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG is fake. Why, you might ask? Because all of these cars are turbocharged.

At this point you are likely saying, “But wait, Jonathon, aren't some racecars turbocharged? And aren’t they loud as all hell?” Your question is exactly why I am writing this.

Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage. >>
Old 9/25/14, 06:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by J Banner
How has the Dodge Challenger become the most technological, forward-thinking, reasonably-priced car out there? Let me explain what I mean. Last night we learned that the new Mustang EcoBoost uses fake engine noises pumped in through the speakers, and with the simple task of removing a fuse, both the stereo and what was thought as exhaust noises, disappears. The same can be said about the BMW M3, M4, and M5. Even the almighty noise of a Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG is fake. Why, you might ask? Because all of these cars are turbocharged. At this point you are likely saying, “But wait, Jonathon, aren't some racecars turbocharged? And aren’t they loud as all hell?” Your question is exactly why I am writing this. Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage. >>

Firstly the Dodge Hellcat is a car for a select few enthusiasts as opposed to the Mustang where hundreds of thousands will be built for everyone from the college student who wants something sporty to the hardcore enthusiast who will want the honking V8 GT, so therefore solutions have to be found that will appeal to the masses and not just a select few. That's my opinion anyway..
Old 9/25/14, 06:33 PM

Interesting... that's one I've never heard of... and to think I hated the idea of piping the intake noise into the cabin, they go one step further.
Old 9/25/14, 06:42 PM
Banned

If the motor was going to run quiet because of the ecoboost configuration than just let it be a quiet motor. That's still better than fake engine noise over the speakers. Let those who want a louder exhaust note go out and put an exhaust on it aftermarket.
Old 9/25/14, 08:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The one thing that's kind of disappointing about the whole EcoBoost line is that the reviews typically comment on how you can barely hear the turbochargers themselves. I owned a 1991 Toyota MR2 turbo for many years. Maybe I'm strange, but I enjoyed hearing that turbo whistle.
Old 9/25/14, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RandyW
The one thing that's kind of disappointing about the whole EcoBoost line is that the reviews typically comment on how you can barely hear the turbochargers themselves. I owned a 1991 Toyota MR2 turbo for many years. Maybe I'm strange, but I enjoyed hearing that turbo whistle.
I wonder if the quite turbos are because these motors were originally designed for passenger cars and light trucks?
Old 9/25/14, 09:09 PM

I realize enthusiasts like the whine, but I can't imagine this being a deal breaker for anyone who had the ecoboost in their sights.

It's a 4 banger.
Old 9/25/14, 09:16 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I can't wait to order my "sound byte delete kit" from Cool Tech.

However, I may be able to fabricate my own by going to Home Depot. (I.e pliers for ripping out the fuse)

Lol
Old 9/26/14, 12:48 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Lies? Fake? Sometimes I hate the internet.

Ford have been up front about this from the beginning and their engineers will have been working d*** hard to ensure we get one of the best sounding 4-cylinder engines out there. Can you imagine how it must feel to have all that hard work ridiculed on the internet?

Let's think why they did this. 4-cylinder engines are not usually the most pleasant in terms of noises, and Ford know we LOVE the sound our Mustang engines make. They know its important to us. So they develop an amazing system and all they get is this!

Just listen to this. For me this IS the best sounding, modern, 4-cylinder I've ever heard.

Old 9/26/14, 05:03 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What amazes me is most people complaining about the EB Mustang, haven't even sat in one let alone drive one. Stop believing every thing you read on the internet and check it out for your self when they hits your local dealer.

If you still think it sucks then great, I too am not a fan of noise induction into the cabin. The first thing I did with the GT was take the sound tube off. I am sure the tuners will find a way to turn this off in the PCM.
Old 9/26/14, 06:39 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...g-lies-533098/

The internet isn't for just **** anymore, it's for people complaining.

If they didn't do this, people would complain how *** it sounds.
They do something about it, people bring out the pitchforks and complain its fake.

If something like this was implemented to get rid of drone with the V8s and aftermarket exhausts (which alter the sound from it's original source, so I guess that's a lie too)
I bet people would hop on it like a kid at Christmas.

Last edited by Boomer; 9/26/14 at 06:45 AM.
Old 9/26/14, 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Hey look on the bright side. Wait till some one really upgrade the audio system. Just imagine how good it will sound then. The exhaust company's are going to be pissed.!!
Old 9/26/14, 09:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I was born in 1987, and the EB Mustang does not offend me. I always loved the SVO growing up, and hope to have one in my stable one day. I think the new 2.3 sounds pretty good. It's the way things are going again, and we are lucky to have that choice, to keep the revenue flowing to fund our 5.0s and SVT offerings.

I wish they didn't have to blatantly neuter the V6 to do so though. They should have offered the V6 as a Premium, and the EB could have been a $795 option, like it is in some F-150 trim levels.

Anyways, the 2015 is starting to grow on me. Especially in Ruby Red, DIB, and Ingot Silver, which coincidentally, were my favorite colors for the 13-14s too. As long as they bring back the Glass Roof or Panoramic Sliding Roof, I see an S550 in my future. It might be the end of the model run, like my 2014 GT lol, but I still see myself in one. That rear 3/4 view just oozes "presence" on the road, in the same way a Bentley or Ferrari does. It looks like a celebrity. I really hope the rental agencies aren't flooded with V6s like they have been in years past. That really degrades the rest of the lineup, IMO.
Old 9/26/14, 11:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I was born in 1987, and the EB Mustang does not offend me. I always loved the SVO growing up, and hope to have one in my stable one day. I think the new 2.3 sounds pretty good. It's the way things are going again, and we are lucky to have that choice, to keep the revenue flowing to fund our 5.0s and SVT offerings. I wish they didn't have to blatantly neuter the V6 to do so though. They should have offered the V6 as a Premium, and the EB could have been a $795 option, like it is in some F-150 trim levels. Anyways, the 2015 is starting to grow on me. Especially in Ruby Red, DIB, and Ingot Silver, which coincidentally, were my favorite colors for the 13-14s too. As long as they bring back the Glass Roof or Panoramic Sliding Roof, I see an S550 in my future. It might be the end of the model run, like my 2014 GT lol, but I still see myself in one. That rear 3/4 view just oozes "presence" on the road, in the same way a Bentley or Ferrari does. It looks like a celebrity. I really hope the rental agencies aren't flooded with V6s like they have been in years past. That really degrades the rest of the lineup, IMO.
I agree even though I was born in 1970 lol
Old 9/26/14, 11:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

I was thinking about getting an Ecoboost 4 cylinder Mustang because of the cool sound coming from what I thought was the exhaust, but now I find out the exhaust sound is coming from the radio. I want to hear the sound from the exhaust when I have the windows down and the radio off. I have just lost interest in the Ecoboost Mustang.
Old 9/26/14, 11:40 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
I was thinking about getting an Ecoboost 4 cylinder Mustang because of the cool sound coming from what I thought was the exhaust, but now I find out the exhaust sound is coming from the radio. I want to hear the sound from the exhaust when I have the windows down and the radio off. I have just lost interest in the Ecoboost Mustang.
A nice exhaust fixes a lot of things
Old 9/26/14, 11:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
Just put an exhaust on it! You will forget all about the synthetic portion. Besides, as it has been stated multiple times, it's not fake sounds, it's just amplifies stock sound. You won't even notice it when you put a turbo back exhaust on!
Old 9/26/14, 12:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I would like to believe this can be disabled somehow through the touch screen or something. Seems odd to include it no matter what, I'm sure at least a few folks will actually prefer it to be quieter.
Old 9/26/14, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Lies? Fake? Sometimes I hate the internet.

Ford have been up front about this from the beginning and their engineers will have been working d*** hard to ensure we get one of the best sounding 4-cylinder engines out there. Can you imagine how it must feel to have all that hard work ridiculed on the internet?

Let's think why they did this. 4-cylinder engines are not usually the most pleasant in terms of noises, and Ford know we LOVE the sound our Mustang engines make. They know its important to us. So they develop an amazing system and all they get is this!

Just listen to this. For me this IS the best sounding, modern, 4-cylinder I've ever heard.

[/url]
Yeah, except it's fake. Those exhaust pulses, and the lack of any of the negative sounds associated with a 4cyl, are artificially being created with the speakers. I'm sure those poor engineers all laughed while BMW got raked over the coals for doing this, now they just followed suit.
Old 9/26/14, 12:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...g-lies-533098/

The internet isn't for just **** anymore, it's for people complaining.

If they didn't do this, people would complain how *** it sounds.
They do something about it, people bring out the pitchforks and complain its fake.

If something like this was implemented to get rid of drone with the V8s and aftermarket exhausts (which alter the sound from it's original source, so I guess that's a lie too)
I bet people would hop on it like a kid at Christmas.
Addressing drone via something mechanical, and even pumping natural intake sounds into the cabin via the sound tube, are very different than using the stereo to synthesize engine noise, or remove it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The New EcoBoost Mustang Lies