Ecoboost

I Drove an ECO PP this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/15, 03:10 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Drove an ECO PP this weekend

And I was disappointed................................but I drove in in a BOSS. As the salesman kindly pointed out (folded in half on the back seat) it's apples to oranges! My son, an owner of a '13 Focus ST, felt the same. The engine in the big chassis just doesn't kick you in the pants like a Coyote.

Now what I DID like. The car felt like I owned it forever, I was instantly comfortable driving it. Instruments, awesome, seats, driving position, and view outside, VERY NICE. Engine as stated, worked great, but uninspiring and flippin QUIET! The suspension was nice, less harsh than the BOSS, but I expected that. What did they do to the trans, it is SO MUCH easier shifting than my '13 unit. My trans shifts good, but heavy in comparison. This trans just felt light and compliant, awesome!

Last edited by BOSS MAN 13; 2/9/15 at 03:11 AM.
Old 2/9/15, 03:53 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think that's the overall reaction and objection. 2.3L is just too small in this heavy of a car for 'performance' fun.
Sure its fine to just 'get by' as a DD or whatever, but most people that buy a Mustang want some kick involved. Even in a high revving I4.
Old 2/9/15, 05:03 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Should have asked for a test drive in a GT

I still hope Ford offer the 2.7 Ecoboost V6 sooner rather than later, to fill the void between the 2.3 and 5.0 (as, no doubt, the 5.0 will gain a few HP if it goes DI in a year or two).

Oh, and having driven a Boss (my friend's '13 GHIG) you are a lucky man. It's an awesome car
Old 2/9/15, 08:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
It sounds like the people unhappy with the 2.3T are really unhappy with the stock tube (even with the PP). This car isn't intended to be a Focus ST. It's an entry level car. The tuners are making ridiculous gains with *just* tunes, completely changing the personality of the car. A tune is really needed on the ST cars too. I'm not one to defend the EB engines, but it seems like Ford left a lot on the table with them. For some reason I love the SVO, but the new 2.3T car just doesn't excite me - maybe because Ford isn't pitching it as a performance offering and neutered the V6 to make it look better...
Old 2/9/15, 08:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So you drove in with a Boss302.... lol and your dissappointed with the Ecoboost?

What did you expect? The car has 139 less horse power then your boss...let alone your driving one of the best mustangs ford has ever built.

People go in expecting to just be blown away by an 2.3L mustang.... gotta set the bar lower.

When I was looking to test drive a 2015... i would only settle for a GT... driving a Supercharged 5.0 and test driving a Ecoboost would have no been fair to the car. Still the GT would have felt slow anyway.
Old 2/9/15, 09:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't driven the eco yet, but I imagine it would be disappointing compared to the GT (or a boss).
Old 2/9/15, 09:32 AM
GT Member

Similar weight and 130 hp down, of course it's not even close. It's not meant to be close. It's just ford moving in the direction most automakers are. Just be glad you have your v8 and the 4 and 6 is just an option. Even the m3 isn't a v8.

If ford wanted to, they could make the ecoboost 4 put down the crank numbers to the wheels, and it would be a lot closer. They want the car to be the balance of performance, efficiency and value. Coming from a 5.0 owner, there's not much reason for "most people" to have 400+ horsepower on public roads. Torque, especially at the low range like it is in the ecoboost motors, makes fun possible with less cylinders and power. Ford wants the ecoboost brand on their flagship pony car, and wants to take away then v6. They can't afford to lose the v8 any time soon, it's the namesake of Mustang, one of he most recognizable brands in automobiles period.

The engine has potential, just watch. There will be a bone stock Focus carrying that same engine from the factory that will be markedly quicker than the mustang gt in almost every way... Granted because of AWD but still.

Tough to replace a big fat American v8, though. It's just not the same.
Old 2/9/15, 10:38 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rmurer
So you drove in with a Boss302.... lol and your dissappointed with the Ecoboost? What did you expect? The car has 139 less horse power then your boss...let alone your driving one of the best mustangs ford has ever built. People go in expecting to just be blown away by an 2.3L mustang.... gotta set the bar lower. When I was looking to test drive a 2015... i would only settle for a GT... driving a Supercharged 5.0 and test driving a Ecoboost would have no been fair to the car. Still the GT would have felt slow anyway.
This right here.
Old 2/9/15, 12:09 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Ecoboost is really not targeted towards the person looking for or is used to the V8. It is only natural they are disappointed. The V8 is more engine than I want or need and the pre 2011 V6 was not enough engine for me. After owning a 2007 and 2010 Mustang V6, the Ecoboost with the IRS was a blast to drive. Plus it gets better gas mileage than the V6's I had previously. It brought me back to the Mustang.

Also from what I read, the change to the Ecoboost engine is because the Mustang is now exported worldwide and the V6 would not be accepted in many of the countries it is being exported to.
Old 2/9/15, 12:37 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The ecoboost has monstrous potential, but anyone who wants it for performance needs to accept that they have to throw their warranty out the window and change the tune.
Old 2/9/15, 12:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Skrapmetal
The ecoboost has monstrous potential, but anyone who wants it for performance needs to accept that they have to throw their warranty out the window and change the tune.
You don't have to throw your warranty out the window...
Old 2/9/15, 01:18 PM
GT Member

I guess I could have worded it differently... risk their warranty? Take a gamble on the warranty?
Old 2/9/15, 02:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

So you drive a BOSS and you're disappointed in the performance of the Ecoboost?

The ecoboost is not going to deliver the performance of the V8 car out of the box. Why did you expect it too?
Old 2/9/15, 02:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Skrapmetal
I guess I could have worded it differently... risk their warranty? Take a gamble on the warranty?
Or wait for the Ford Tune that is supposedly coming that rumor has a increase of TQ by at least 80, with unknown HP numbers. But, you're point is still valid, regardless of nitpicking of the words. To get GT level performance you'll definitely "risk" the warranty on large (large) portions the drivetrain. You either buy it for a DD or as a project to see what it can do. Of course, the same could be said for the GT when you start modding.

And, for the OP, as someone mentioned, you did drive in with a Boss! If you'd driven in a pre-Coyote V8, your expectations would have been met. One other thing that would have affected (but not necessarily changed the impression) is the dealership likely has 87 in which supposedly doesn't drop the HP much, but definitely drops the TQ down to the V6 levels (e.g. a 10-15% reduction).
Old 2/9/15, 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
One other thing that would have affected (but not necessarily changed the impression) is the dealership likely has 87 in which supposedly doesn't drop the HP much, but definitely drops the TQ down to the V6 levels (e.g. a 10-15% reduction).
I think you got those reversed Jeff. 87 octane drops the HP but doesn't really affect the TQ. That's what I've seen anyway. The 87 drops the HP to about 270 or so. The TQ on the ecoboost depends on which "mode" the engine is in. In normal mode it felt about the same as my V6 while in Sport mode it pulled harder off the line.
Old 2/9/15, 03:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by 3point7
I think you got those reversed Jeff. 87 octane drops the HP but doesn't really affect the TQ. That's what I've seen anyway. The 87 drops the HP to about 270 or so. The TQ on the ecoboost depends on which "mode" the engine is in. In normal mode it felt about the same as my V6 while in Sport mode it pulled harder off the line.
You're right, my mistake. Sorry about that. I even posted the Dyno in the other thread :-/
Old 2/11/15, 08:19 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
You're right, my mistake. Sorry about that. I even posted the Dyno in the other thread :-/
Which thread? I've been looking for this dyno and can't find it anywhere.

**Edit** Nevermind, I found it.

Last edited by AWmustang; 2/11/15 at 08:21 AM.
Old 2/12/15, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by rmurer
So you drove in with a Boss302.... lol and your dissappointed with the Ecoboost?

What did you expect? The car has 139 less horse power then your boss...let alone your driving one of the best mustangs ford has ever built.

People go in expecting to just be blown away by an 2.3L mustang.... gotta set the bar lower.

When I was looking to test drive a 2015... i would only settle for a GT... driving a Supercharged 5.0 and test driving a Ecoboost would have no been fair to the car. Still the GT would have felt slow anyway.
Right you are, it is SO EASY to get used to a certain power output and tough to compare. Having had an '87 Turbocoupe in the past, I found the torque maybe more crude and sudden (peaky), it kind of kicked you in the pants, even if you weren't moving fast, in simple terms FUN! I just didn't feel it in the ECO Mustang, love the car, I would love one as a DD. But I just felt it lacking, maybe there must a certain threshold of power for a car to feel fun I dunno!
Old 2/15/15, 03:05 PM

I'm pretty sure your first drive in a new 2015 GT would also be disappointing, as I found it to be the first time I drove one. The 15 GT is so much smoother than my 425 hp 2007 302 that it felt anemic, until I started watching the speedometer and realized just how quickly it got up to speed and how fast it really was. This new chassis just isn't anywhere near as "raw" in the power and acceleration department as the previous gen cars.

I opted for the automatic EB because I just couldn't stop redlining the motor between shifts in the manual EB, because I've been driving manual V8 Mustangs for years.

I purchased my EB as a commuter car, and I am loving being able to drive it every day to work. A crew cab long bed F250 is a beast to commute in, and my 2007 PJ is only driven occasionally and on the track. My EB Mustang is such a better choice for me than a Focus as a daily driver. I may play with it occasionally on the road course, but I certainly don't expect it'll be anywhere near as much fun as my 302. But for what I purchased it for, I am loving it, and am much more impressed with it than I expected to be.
Old 2/16/15, 05:21 AM
GT Member

I wouldn't doubt either that FORD ships the ECO's with REGULAR fuel in the tank. Over a lot of units that makes up a ton of money, and it would make sense with the "detuned" feel I was experiencing. My TurboCoupe had an Octane switch too, in the 87 position it was lifeless.

Quick Reply: I Drove an ECO PP this weekend