Ecoboost

To Ecoboost, or not to Ecboost

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/15, 05:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I really wish Ford would get that Euro sound out of the 4 and 6 like some I4s and I6s from over the pond. Some sound better than a V8 in some cases. If not aftermarket needs to be working on this and working on it now!

It used to be a big deal for me to have the biggest and badest model when it comes to a car's line up. Not that I am getting a little older. It really does not mean as much. A car needs to be a little more practical these days. She needs to be fun to drive, good on gas, and confrontable.

I am so glad gas is pretty cheap right now or my wallet would be hurting real bad.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 4/3/15 at 05:38 AM.
Old 4/3/15, 09:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Manual verts are reallly hard to come by these days.
Old 4/5/15, 01:09 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedCostsMoney
Manual verts are reallly hard to come by these days.
I had to special order mine.
Old 4/7/15, 05:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

That is why I have 2010 GT now. I went to buy a new (at the time) 2013 GT Convertible and could not find one in manual. I came across the one I have now used. I wonder if the previous owner had it ordered from the factory that way because I have never seen another 2010+ Mustang convertible premium with a standard transmission. The only downside is it is worth way less if I ever want to trade it in or sell it than one with auto. People just do not want manuals, especially if it is a convertible.
Old 6/9/15, 02:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I went looking at the new 2015 this weekend and almost bought a GT with a Auto. I am still going back and forth on weather to keep mine or trade it on a new one. The GT is just out of my price range and will not make since due to the fact my work is so far away.

If anything I have to get a Mustang that is really comfortable to drive. I can not drive stick in this traffic anymore. My wife and are going to talk about it more this week.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 6/9/15 at 02:02 PM.
Old 6/10/15, 06:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I went looking at the new 2015 this weekend and almost bought a GT with a Auto. I am still going back and forth on weather to keep mine or trade it on a new one. The GT is just out of my price range and will not make since due to the fact my work is so far away.

If anything I have to get a Mustang that is really comfortable to drive. I can not drive stick in this traffic anymore. My wife and are going to talk about it more this week.

Good luck! just remember. So many people around this forum, drool over the exhaust note of the 4.6L

To a lot of people I know, and based on your signature, its not about how fast you can go, its all about how nice you've maintained your ride. Unless you have money to **** away, you'll regret trading in your 5 year old, mint looking, awesome sounding mustang.

I suppose, if the thing were a lemon, causing you to run up your repair bills, it would make sense to trade it in.

Good luck eitherway! I would definitely buy one as well, if I didn't pull the trigger on my '14.

Last edited by JoeMidnight; 6/10/15 at 06:51 AM.
Old 6/10/15, 07:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I might go test drive the GT again and make a decision. I am just really worried about getting the GT and right after gas goes up. I am filling up my GT 2 or 3 times a week. I spend most of my time on the highway (or sitting in a parking lot of a highway). That is 25 miles to work and 25 miles back. Yesterday due to traffic it took me 2 hours to get home. My left leg feels like it is going to fall off.

I want a Mustang that is comfortable and good on gas and the Ecoboost seems to fit the bill.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 6/10/15 at 07:44 AM.
Old 6/10/15, 07:57 AM
Cobra Member

Good luck in what you choose to do. It's hard to fight off that impulse feeling you get when you really want to get yourself a new toy.

Have you considered keeping your GT as a leisure vehicle and just buying something used that is better on gas for a commuter?

Hyundai Accent? Ford focus?

I have 35 months left on my Mustang. As soon as its paid for, I'm going to stop using it as a commuter car and am going to buy a smaller 4 banger, likely with an automatic transmission.

Not because I'm tired of driving manual or because my V6 is horrible on gas (it's actually really good on gas). Its because like you, I put a lot of mileage on my car and want to use it for leisure driving and not work driving.

on average, I drive a minimum of 60 miles a day as well. last week, I had put around 180miles on two separate days travelling to other offices.
Old 6/10/15, 08:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have never been one of those 2 cars type of guys. My Mustang goes were I go. Weather that is to work or out on the town. It is kind of like having a horse. That is probably why all my co-workers, friends, and family call the Mustang Man. Where I am a Mustang is close by.

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
Good luck in what you choose to do. It's hard to fight off that impulse feeling you get when you really want to get yourself a new toy.

Have you considered keeping your GT as a leisure vehicle and just buying something used that is better on gas for a commuter?

Hyundai Accent? Ford focus?

I have 35 months left on my Mustang. As soon as its paid for, I'm going to stop using it as a commuter car and am going to buy a smaller 4 banger, likely with an automatic transmission.

Not because I'm tired of driving manual or because my V6 is horrible on gas (it's actually really good on gas). Its because like you, I put a lot of mileage on my car and want to use it for leisure driving and not work driving.

on average, I drive a minimum of 60 miles a day as well. last week, I had put around 180miles on two separate days travelling to other offices.
Old 6/10/15, 01:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You can get the Ecoboost with Auto and the performance package. Though to be honest between the premium fuel and the disappointing MPG of the ecoboost I wouldn't expect to see a huge savings at the pump.

You have to keep in mind that if you don't drive like a granny the eco-boost is far thirstier than the EPA numbers let on. With my Focus ST, when I lived in FL with 70 MPH speed limits all around me (traffic moving at 80+), the best hwy mpg i could get was in the 24-25 range. Now that I'm mostly driving on 55mph roads (traffic moving ~65) it's gone up to 28. But I've only seen 30+ on the dash display once when I have traveled at a steady 60 mph. The EPA test is based on speeds far slower than most of us travel on the highway and with the ecoboost the MPG fall very quickly as you exceed that speed.
Old 6/13/15, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I bought a Eco-boost premium with the performance package. The dealer needed to get it form another one to get the color I wanted which was the deep impact blue.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 6/13/15 at 05:04 PM.
Old 6/13/15, 05:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I bought a Eco-boost premium with the performance package. The dealer needed to get it form another one to get the color I wanted which was the deep impact blue.

Congrats!!! Did you get the auto or manual? Pictures!!!
Old 6/13/15, 05:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got the auto and it will be here Tuesday.
Old 6/15/15, 06:18 AM
Cobra Member

Congrats!

Are you going to use 91 or 93 to take advantage of the motors full potential? or just 87?
Old 6/15/15, 07:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

91 to 93 all the way! I will not run anything less.
Old 6/15/15, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my ecoboost 2weeks ago... Black fully loaded premium with 20" wheels, red leather interior and loving it... but after driving my friends 5.0, i feel so empty inside... I almost want to trade in my ecoboost just for that v8 soundtrack, it's so addicting...
Old 6/15/15, 08:56 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use 91 because the engine is tuned for it. After 1300 miles she is driving great and mileage goes between 25-31 depending on the type of driving. Also, my trade off for the V8 is the ragtop. The commute is fun here in northern Ca with the top down. I also will drive it as a commuter until it's paid off then hopefully get an electric car to commute to work if the are more advanced by then. Then my pony will only come out on sunny days for fun only.

Last edited by jonser; 6/15/15 at 08:58 PM.
Old 6/16/15, 05:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

I really almost bought the GT but with having to fill up my current GT 2-4 times a week it really did not make sense. I have to say that the Eco-boost does have some power and fun to drive. I pick her up today after work.
Old 6/16/15, 06:39 AM
Cobra Member

I really almost bought the GT but with having to fill up my current GT 2-4 times a week it really did not make sense. I have to say that the Eco-boost does have some power and fun to drive. I pick her up today after work.

Please post pics! Congrats again!
Old 6/17/15, 12:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

I picked her up today!

Name:  IMG_20150616_191622506_zpstdrexaty.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  252.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20150616_193834509_zpsfdlzwaep.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  287.7 KB

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 6/17/15 at 12:11 AM.

Quick Reply: To Ecoboost, or not to Ecboost