Ecoboost

To Ecoboost, or not to Ecboost

Search this Thread

Old 3/28/15, 04:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I do like my EB. Admittedly, 99% of my driving is high speed on the interstate. So far, after 3500 miles, I can say, it is one of the best I have owned. I have averaged 32-37 mpg cruising at 75, as of 1 Apr it will go to 80, as is Wyoming.

I drive it all year, and this past winter, using the toggle for snow/wet it handled everything very well, for a rear wheel car. Also, consider the Premium edition for the heated and cooled seats.

If you really want to have fun, put everything in Sport. It becomes a different car. We have gone through the Black Hills and the Badlands National Park (No traffic!!), winter is good for something. It handled all the hills and twisties just as I expected, and sometimes much better. It is also a very comfortable long distance driver. Quiet, which allows you to listen to the sound system you paid for.

If you are looking for the V8 sound and feel, you are not going to get it. I am a little disappointed in the way it sounds when first started (blah!) Ford could have done better, but I am sure they were responding to the Euro sound/noise laws which are very strict. And since 1 in 4 new cars registered in the EU for 2014 was an EcoBoost, I can see why they are working hard to please the Europeans.

I would suggest you find one at a dealer and take it for a test drive. Try and drive it the way you normally would, on a day to day basis and see if you can live without the V8 exhaust note. Try and drive the route you use for work. This will help you decide if this is the car you want to live in day to day, stuck in traffic. Also, use the Sport mode, if an automatic, when in the city in traffic. Response is greatly improved and I use it any time I am in the city. Overall, I am very happy with it.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 3/28/15 at 04:16 PM.
Old 3/28/15, 11:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I went to the dealer today and test drove the a Ecoboost automatic. It is such a different car then my GT (in good way). The car drove nicely and would be a very good car for commuting. However, it did not elicit the same emotional response like my GT. It had some good power but not the pin me in the seat kick. I really do need the sound to complete the package.

I did not want to waste anymore of the salesman's time but I really wish I was able to test-drive a GT in automatic. From what I was able to tell the Auto will work for me. It is the sound and power I will not be able to go without. What can I say I am spoiled. The cabin is so much better than my 2010 and the car felt more like sports car and I could really tell Ford put a ton of thought into this new car.

As for what I may do. I am going to save some cash and try to get a 2015 GT Automatic sometime in the next few months. Plus the stranded interior will be just fine. So saving some money and not getting the premium is a real possibility.

P.S. I am not knocking the Ecoboost at it all here. It is a very good Mustang and anyone who says different are suckers.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 3/28/15 at 11:11 PM.
Old 3/29/15, 09:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Speaking of sound, I don't think I could get over that the ecoBoost pipes fake exhaust noise over the speakers
Old 3/29/15, 01:28 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cavero
Speaking of sound, I don't think I could get over that the ecoBoost pipes fake exhaust noise over the speakers

Can you tell the difference? Really? There are youtube videos with back to back comparisons with the fuse pulled and the evaluators state they cannot tell the difference. It is called Active Noise Cancellation and many vehicles have it from Edge's to Focus ST not to mention other manufacturers but you hate it on the Mustang?
Old 3/29/15, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

The ecoboost sounded just fine when I test drove it. However, I am just used to the epic reverberation of my V8 even though it is only a 4.6.

Last edited by SpeedCostsMoney; 3/29/15 at 07:12 PM.
Old 3/30/15, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dang it filled the Mustang up 3 times this week. So either I live with sound of a Ecoboost or but another car to drive. Why can't this choice be easy?
Old 3/30/15, 01:53 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
You all know, with just a c.a.i. and a tune the EB4 automatic Mustang will run high 12's
Old 3/30/15, 06:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by wildsailor
Can you tell the difference? Really? There are youtube videos with back to back comparisons with the fuse pulled and the evaluators state they cannot tell the difference. It is called Active Noise Cancellation and many vehicles have it from Edge's to Focus ST not to mention other manufacturers but you hate it on the Mustang?

I hate the idea in any car, regardless if it's a Focus ST or a BMW i8. Fake is fake. I'm an equal-opportunity phony hater
Old 3/30/15, 09:17 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SpeedCostsMoney
The ecoboost sounded just fine when I test drove it. However, I am just used to the epic reverberation of my V8 even though it is only a 4.6.
Dang it filled the Mustang up 3 times this week. So either I live with sound of a Ecoboost or but another car to drive. Why can't this choice be easy?

I originally went from my F150 to a Focus almost 3 years ago when fuel was $4+ per gallon and it did save me multitudes of money. However, the Focus is a great car like my washing machine is a great appliance; I needed a return of SOME performance. The GT would have put me right back in the F150 FE again so I opted for the EB. I have had 2 nice GT's over the years and I am getting 'up there' now so the EB will be okay for me...for a while!

Originally Posted by Cavero
I hate the idea in any car, regardless if it's a Focus ST or a BMW i8. Fake is fake. I'm an equal-opportunity phony hater
Unfortunately, it is the natural progression of mechanical sound deadening. So, unless you rip out the weighted pads, the counterweights, carpet, and sealer in the joints, you already have a fake sound inside your car. This is just a new-age electronic sound elimination method using canceling sound waves. I am not sure who actually started it; it was either Mercedes or Lexus probably over 10 years ago now. It is just cheap enough now to be used on mainstream products.
Old 3/31/15, 05:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

I originally went from my F150 to a Focus almost 3 years ago when fuel was $4+ per gallon and it did save me multitudes of money. However, the Focus is a great car like my washing machine is a great appliance; I needed a return of SOME performance. The GT would have put me right back in the F150 FE again so I opted for the EB. I have had 2 nice GT's over the years and I am getting 'up there' now so the EB will be okay for me...for a while!
Does it kill you that you are no longer in a GT? Is you EB a auto or a Manual?
Old 3/31/15, 07:54 AM
V6 Member

Does it kill you that you are no longer in a GT? Is you EB a auto or a Manual?
The EB isn't here yet....

However, my V6 2004 5 spd is a blast as an EDD and I am expecting the EB to be just as much fun. Yes, I miss the V8 rumble from time to time but my car is actually my secondary speed fix...my backup so to speak. My BMW K1200GT is my primary flying machine. If I get the need to be able to go from 0-60 in 4 seconds or less that is the vehicle of choice! Imagine a Mustang with enough ooomph to raise the front wheels only by cracking the throttle in 1st or 2nd...it is like having an F1 car for the street.
Old 3/31/15, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I used to ride my self. The last bikes I owned were a Kawasaki Concourse 1400 and a Harley 883 low. I sold them when my daugter was born and bough the Mustang.
Old 3/31/15, 09:09 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

this is how I would look at it.

I'm not really a 2 car kinda guy either BUT. If I owned a convertible GT Mustang in which it was paid for and couldn't really justify driving it to work because of fuel costs.

I'd seriously consider buy a used Kia Rio or something to that nature. Not only would your Insurance drop on your mustang because it would be classified as a leisure (weekend) vehicle, You would JUMP into that mustang any moment that you could when getting home from work in the Kia.

Not knocking the Kia. I've owned one and that is based on my emotional experience.

it's a win win all around. I definitely wouldn't be going back into payments if I had a 5 year old Mustang (no matter what year/ engine class it is)
Old 3/31/15, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

It sucks that a Ecoboost Vert is in the high 30's! I would get one right now if it were less. I would also consider the V6 Vert put it does not come with leather and I think convertibles need to be in leather when possible. Mainly because it shows off the interior more with the top down.
Old 3/31/15, 03:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It sucks that a Ecoboost Vert is in the high 30's! I would get one right now if it were less. I would also consider the V6 Vert put it does not come with leather and I think convertibles need to be in leather when possible. Mainly because it shows off the interior more with the top down.
Leathers easier to clean too, and the car will have more resale value
Old 3/31/15, 11:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was lamenting the lack of a V6 Premium convertible but I have come around to my wife's way of thinking. We've had convertibles with both leather and cloth seats. She prefers the cloth. When the top is down in the summer, cloth seats don't absorb the heat from the sun and are cooler when you get in. The Premiums have cooled seats to address this but that only takes effect after you are in the car or have it remotely started. Cloth doesn't seem to get hot in the first place. Cooled leather seats are just an expensive solution to get back to what you already had with the cloth seats, from a functional point of view.

I cannot address the need to buy leather to show off the interior to the plebs.

Last edited by Boss 0960; 3/31/15 at 11:44 PM.
Old 4/1/15, 04:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boss 0960
I was lamenting the lack of a V6 Premium convertible but I have come around to my wife's way of thinking. We've had convertibles with both leather and cloth seats. She prefers the cloth. When the top is down in the summer, cloth seats don't absorb the heat from the sun and are cooler when you get in. The Premiums have cooled seats to address this but that only takes effect after you are in the car or have it remotely started. Cloth doesn't seem to get hot in the first place. Cooled leather seats are just an expensive solution to get back to what you already had with the cloth seats, from a functional point of view.

I cannot address the need to buy leather to show off the interior to the plebs.
My wife hates the black leather seats in my GT Vert. In the summers here they can get really, really hot.
Old 4/2/15, 02:01 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
No shame in that! Unfortunately it looks like that Focus RS is coming out NEXT spring anyway
I think it would make an awesome daily driver. Fast enough to have fun, AWD for the winter/rain, and highway MPG should be close to 30 if driven properly...
Yeah,

I think that Focus RS may give the Coyote's a run for their money. AWD is going to get the jump every time.
Old 4/2/15, 02:05 PM
GT Member

It's probably some kind of white noise generator. Some call centers use white-noise generators and they work great.

2 cars means twice the maintenance cost. I wouldn't go that route. Just go with the 2015 EB and wait for a decent exhaust set up to show up. I've heard V6's that sound pretty close to what a V8 sounds like. Maybe someone will work some magic for the EB at some point in the future.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 4/2/15 at 02:09 PM.
Old 4/2/15, 05:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
It's probably some kind of white noise generator. Some call centers use white-noise generators and they work great.

2 cars means twice the maintenance cost. I wouldn't go that route. Just go with the 2015 EB and wait for a decent exhaust set up to show up. I've heard V6's that sound pretty close to what a V8 sounds like. Maybe someone will work some magic for the EB at some point in the future.
If someone could figure out how to make it howl like the 4 cylinder in my BMW motorcycle it would generate a market all its own! That bike has a throaty burble with the exhaust pulses all mashed together so it does not go putt-putt-putt; it is more like grrrrrrrr..... The sound is intoxicating!

Quick Reply: To Ecoboost, or not to Ecboost