Ecoboost

Ecoboost carbon buildup

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/14, 07:28 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I have an Ecoboost SHO, with twin turbos. Two years old, premium fuel and no problems. On a recent trip to Colorado, I was cruising at 80 on I-25 (Legal in WY), and getting 28.9 mpg, with my wife and luggage for a week in the rockies. Admittedly, 99% of my driving is 70-75 mph, with very little city driving. The only thing(s) done to it have been the Fuel Module recall (no problems but replaced by the dealer as a precaution) and the check of the right front axle, also a recall. Again, no problems. I do change the oil at 5000 mile intervals and use a full Synthetic. Apparently, according to a member on the SHO forum, Ford does not recommend using any cleaner as it can destroy the turbos. With the warranty Ford has on the current engines, I would not be concerned. I did purchase the 7/100 ESP from Ford, just in case.
i wonder how a cleaner (like seaform) would destroy a turbo
Old 9/11/14, 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW has been using DI on their cars since 2007 with the 335i with no issues. Now the N54 motors had other issues mainly HPFPs and such but carbon buildup on the intake valves was not one of them.

Dave
Old 9/11/14, 08:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by whowasthat
I can't answer that question, but I will go back to the SHO forum I was on and see if I can find the thread. I will post a link if the answer is there.

Good question..
Old 9/11/14, 09:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by whowasthat
I must be getting old(er) as I could not find the thread;however, I did find this from a 15 Jun 2011 article in Edmunds Auto Observer, maybe cleaning is a mute point:

"At the Detroit Auto Show in January, Ford was confident enough about its popular 3.5 liter EcoBoost direct-injection V6 to have technicians tear down an example engine that had accumulated the equivalent of 160,000 miles through an intentionally abusive regimen of log dragging, high-speed towing and desert racing. When they opened it up before a live audience, they found some light carbon deposits on the valves and pistons, but not enough to affect performance. In fact, the engine showed a loss of just one horsepower afterwards."

Hope this helps in lieu of not finding the info on cleaning.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 9/11/14 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Add quotes
Old 9/12/14, 10:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must be getting old(er) as I could not find the thread;however, I did find this from a 15 Jun 2011 article in Edmunds Auto Observer, maybe cleaning is a mute point:

"At the Detroit Auto Show in January, Ford was confident enough about its popular 3.5 liter EcoBoost direct-injection V6 to have technicians tear down an example engine that had accumulated the equivalent of 160,000 miles through an intentionally abusive regimen of log dragging, high-speed towing and desert racing. When they opened it up before a live audience, they found some light carbon deposits on the valves and pistons, but not enough to affect performance. In fact, the engine showed a loss of just one horsepower afterwards."

Hope this helps in lieu of not finding the info on cleaning.
That's the thing. They ran it hard for the entire 160,000 miles. If you check the F-150 forums, they aren't having the same luck. Carbon build up is happening. Using the cleaners will dislodge the debris and toss it into the turbos, thus destroying the turbos. Only way to clean it is a tear down and do it manually. So unless you plan on flogging the ecoboost to the limit every time you go somewhere. you're going to have carbon build up occur. Oil separator cans will be a must for this application to extend the life in between manual tear downs and cleaning.

Last edited by Critical Mass; 9/12/14 at 10:36 AM.
Old 9/12/14, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Critical Mass
That's the thing. They ran it hard for the entire 160,000 miles.
I wonder if they recorded the fuel mileage over the course of it's 160,000 mile flogging. I bet it wasn't that good.
Old 9/12/14, 02:56 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss 0960
I wonder if they recorded the fuel mileage over the course of it's 160,000 mile flogging. I bet it wasn't that good.
That's what I was thinking. To make your engine last you can throw that ecoboost (alleged) better mileage out the window.
The F150 owners already complain loudly that the mileage sucks and many wish they would have got the 5.0.
Old 9/13/14, 09:47 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I have an Ecoboost SHO, with twin turbos. Two years old, premium fuel and no problems. On a recent trip to Colorado, I was cruising at 80 on I-25 (Legal in WY), and getting 28.9 mpg, with my wife and luggage for a week in the rockies. Admittedly, 99% of my driving is 70-75 mph, with very little city driving. The only thing(s) done to it have been the Fuel Module recall (no problems but replaced by the dealer as a precaution) and the check of the right front axle, also a recall. Again, no problems. I do change the oil at 5000 mile intervals and use a full Synthetic. Apparently, according to a member on the SHO forum, Ford does not recommend using any cleaner as it can destroy the turbos. With the warranty Ford has on the current engines, I would not be concerned. I did purchase the 7/100 ESP from Ford, just in case.

That's probably why you have very little problem. Especially if its a long commute. Unrelated to the engine but still working under the same principle I've seen people almost double mileage warranties on tires with long commutes (50-60 miles on the highway one way)

An extended light load with the engine up to operating temperature is about as ideal as it can get compared to driving around in the stop and go hell that is in the city where people have short commutes.