Ecoboost

EcoBoost-4 2.3l to replace 3.7l V6?

Old 6/16/12, 02:34 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Post EcoBoost-4 2.3l to replace 3.7l V6?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2015-ford-mustang-to-swap-out-base-v6-for-330hp-four-cylinder.html

Ford’s next-generation Mustang will reportedly share its entry-level engine with the next Focus RS hot hatch. Ford’s all-new Mustang is expected to bow for the 2015 model year.
Speaking with the UK’s Auto Express, Matthias Ton, head of Ford’s global performance car division, revealed that Dearborn-based automaker is developing a new 2.3L EcoBoost four-cylinder that will be used in the base model Mustang as well as the next-generation Focus RS. The four-cylinder is expected to replace the Mustang’s current 3.7L V6.
Thanks to Ford’s EcoBoost turbocharging technology, the four-cylinder will reportedly develop upwards of 330 horsepower. That would represent a 25 horsepower gain over the Mustang’s current V6, and the turbo four would undoubtedly trump the six-pot’s 280 lb-ft of torque.
And given Ford’s dedication to efficiency, the four-cylinder Mustang would certainly best the 3.7′s ratings of 19/31mpg city/highway.
The 2.3L could be ready to launch with the new Mustang for the 2015 model year, but the Dearborn-based automaker has been known to delay engine upgrades by a model year or two.
Old 6/16/12, 04:40 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
This would be fine by me. Just think, how good the Mustang would handle with this engine in it.
Old 6/16/12, 05:44 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More power, more torque and more MPG? Sounds like a winner to me. I doubt many potential buyers will be offended by changing the piston arrangement in the base car.
Old 6/16/12, 07:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hmm, the Focus ST gets the 2 liter turbo in the states. Am I correct saying the Focus RS is for Europe? I cant see Ford building the 2.3 turbo only for the Mustang. Just not going to happen although I would be all for it. I would still think the 2 liter turbo would be a more likely option at around 250 hp. They gotta chop some weight off though.
Old 6/16/12, 06:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Works for me. Hope the Fusion gets that mill as well.
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
The 2.3L could be ready to launch with the new Mustang for the 2015 model year, but the Dearborn-based automaker has been known to delay engine upgrades by a model year or two.
They haven't delayed those upgrades just to delay them, they delayed those engines to make sure they were ready. If its ready in 2015, it will launch in 2015.
Old 6/16/12, 10:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

The new RS with the 2.3L Ecoboost is making over 320hp and a ton of torque right off of idle.

Dave
Old 6/17/12, 08:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
The new RS with the 2.3L Ecoboost is making over 320hp and a ton of torque right off of idle.

Dave
That's awesome. I was curious that although it may make more power and torque, does its power come on later?

And if it's making that much HP then they could use it to replace many of the V6 cars.
Old 6/17/12, 08:40 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
That's awesome. I was curious that although it may make more power and torque, does its power come on later?

And if it's making that much HP then they could use it to replace many of the V6 cars.
More torque off idle means power comes on earlier.

It makes sense. The days of 3.5+ litres is overkill for a base motor. That sort of capacity - with today's tech, including forced induction - makes serious power.
Old 6/17/12, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thinking about this a bit more there is no way this will be a base engine. Assume a 3300 lb car (we hope at least) and 330 hp? NO way. The 2 liter turbo is already ready to go and already used in the Focus ST, Explorer, Edge, and Escape and possibly the new Fusion. It clocks in at around 250 hp give or take. This could add to better mpg numbers and you know that . is a priority.

I can see the 2 liter turbo as the base engine but not the 2.3 turbo. The V6 would be a step up then the GT and so on and so on. Is my logic flawed?
Old 6/17/12, 10:30 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 3Mach1
Thinking about this a bit more there is no way this will be a base engine. Assume a 3300 lb car (we hope at least) and 330 hp? NO way. The 2 liter turbo is already ready to go and already used in the Focus ST, Explorer, Edge, and Escape and possibly the new Fusion. It clocks in at around 250 hp give or take. This could add to better mpg numbers and you know that . is a priority.

I can see the 2 liter turbo as the base engine but not the 2.3 turbo. The V6 would be a step up then the GT and so on and so on. Is my logic flawed?
Why would Ford do that? More hp and less weight is what should happen. The 3.7l V6 is still big and heavy and is starting to look old. They can't put the 2.0l 4 in the base Mustang because that would be 55hp less than the previous model year base Mustang. Plus, why would the 3.7l be a model higher when the 3.7l was the base model the previous year. Just my 2 cents.
Old 6/17/12, 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Five.Point.Oh
Why would Ford do that? More hp and less weight is what should happen. The 3.7l V6 is still big and heavy and is starting to look old. They can't put the 2.0l 4 in the base Mustang because that would be 55hp less than the previous model year base Mustang. Plus, why would the 3.7l be a model higher when the 3.7l was the base model the previous year. Just my 2 cents.
I would hardly call the 3.7 old. Dont forget there is more in it with Direct injection. As to the weight differences between the 3.7 and 2.0 turbo I dont know. Maybe someone else would have that info handy. I think what may happen to the base engine Mustang may come down to efficiency at the gas pump. I still think the logical progression is the 2 Turbo, 3.7, then 5. ect.... Another thing to consider is cost of the 2.0 L vs the 3.7. Lots of unanswered questions but with the 2 L being in almost all Ford vehicles I would think that sharing that engine would lower the costs.
Old 6/17/12, 12:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I too, can see the 2.0 EcoBoost being the base model, 3.7 DI V6 midlevel, and 5.0 DI V8 GT going a little more upmarket. The 3.7 is used in everything too. I just can't see a turbo I4 and V8 lineup...
Old 6/17/12, 12:49 PM
Cobra Member

I agree the v6 will become more of a mid level trim then the gt with the Shelby or whatever replaces it at the top
Old 6/17/12, 07:21 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If indeed the I4-Turbo is the base car (which is a great way to improve mileage and power) the V6 will go bye bye. There will be no need to have both.

The 5L won't get replaced by the 3.5L Ecoboost.
GT and SE=V8
Old 6/17/12, 07:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
If indeed the I4-Turbo is the base car (which is a great way to improve mileage and power) the V6 will go bye bye. There will be no need to have both.

The 5L won't get replaced by the 3.5L Ecoboost.
GT and SE=V8
I can see that scenario also. The question is which I4 will it be getting? I would llike to see it get the 2.3 Turbo but can they keep the cost down enough??? So many questions and so few answers. The 3.5TT will not replace the 5 liter because Mustang nation would have a cow if you took their V8 away and Ford knows it.
Old 6/17/12, 09:02 PM

Impressive numbers, no doubt, and a credible scenario, whether as a base motor or as a slight upgrade (SVO? SVT? RS?).

However, I would miss the smoothness, refinement and sound of a V6, apart from the numbers. Four banger, even the best, just can't match 50% more cylinders for pureeing the power pulses and doing so with less vibration and harshness. And any four cylinder just sounds a bit blatty compared to a more melodious six.
Old 6/18/12, 09:12 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...et_330bhp.html

Another source reporting on a 330hp 2.3 I4 for the nextstang.
Old 6/18/12, 09:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
Impressive numbers, no doubt, and a credible scenario, whether as a base motor or as a slight upgrade (SVO? SVT? RS?).

However, I would miss the smoothness, refinement and sound of a V6, apart from the numbers. Four banger, even the best, just can't match 50% more cylinders for pureeing the power pulses and doing so with less vibration and harshness. And any four cylinder just sounds a bit blatty compared to a more melodious six.
I'm sorry you're experience with 4 cylinders has been such a bad one. I guess the years of 1000HP formula one four cylinder engines just didn't teach us anything? Times are way different. I would have made your argument nearly a decade ago as well. But 4 cylinder engines can sing like only an Indy car v6 can. With direct injection, twin scroll turbos and variable cam timing, the V6 is nearing the way of the dodo. Not saying that is the absolute but with the rise of really great 4 cylinders I think V6 engines truly are on the way out in some regards. Though Ford has a great thing going with the 3.5L. I realize that it takes a lot more effort from 4 cylinders than does 6 even with a turbo, but sometimes you have to open your mind and let a four cylinder just show its true talent.

I am completely open to a 4 cyl mill. I wasn't overly impressed with the new 3.7L so I'd give a 4 cyl a try.
Old 6/18/12, 09:40 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 3Mach1

We now have the 2.0 Ecoboost in the Falcon - same price as the 4.0 six. It gives away 20hp and 31lb.ft of torque, and is 145lbs lighter. The economy is at least 25% better and, get this, there's a bee's doodle between them down the strip. That's mainly due to the weight saving. The press love it as it's transformed what is a great handling vehicle to something even better. The 2.0 Falcon weighs 3580lbs, 0-100km/h in 6.6.

Your logic isn't flawed, except that I don't see the need for the V6. Offer the 2.0, 2.3, and 5.0. Then 3.5 Ecoboost above the GT at a premium, with bigger brakes and track-tuned suspension. That would would belt the Boss 302. However, by then the Boss would have direct injection so who knows, and maybe the same in the Shelby with a couple of snails hanging off it. Ecoboost 4.4 FTW!!!
Old 6/18/12, 10:27 AM

I wouldn't say all my experiences with four bangers have been bad at all. Indeed, I've had or driven some very nice ones, and some not so nice ones too. It's just that, in general, despite being able to generate hero numbers, they lack a bit of the music and soul of a motor with more cylinders (with the possible exception of the rare V4).

This of course is primarily a subjective position for, as mentioned, today's four bangers are quite capable. However, they'll never match the qualitative aspects of 6, 8 or more cylinders, be it the howl of a 8, the roar of an 8 or the wail of a 12.

Vibration, too, even with balance shafts grafted on, will never match the more finely pureed power pulses of inherent mechanical smoothness of their better balanced brethren.

How a motor performs, entirely apart from its actual performance numbers, does mean something to me, at least, especially in an ostensible car whose main raison d'etre is performance. While the current 335i turbo motor found in various 3 Series BMWs basically are as fast in a straight line as my, as far as numbers go, they are practically soulless as compared to the n.a. 3.2 six in my older E46 M3. Grape juice and wine will fill the glass and belly just a well, but the latter delivers a far more interesting experience and pleasure. While the 335i's motor will leave you duly impressed, the S54 motor in my M3 will leave you intoxicated by the experience.

That said, I think a 2.0 or 2.3 four will be a fine motor in the Stang. Heckfire, they're even sticking four bangers in upscale performance coupes like the Audi A5 (though Audi still offers a six and a glorious V8 in the S5 which is worth the price premium just to hear the thing). I'll just miss the richer, more resonant sound and inherent smoothness that the 3.7 can offer even if it makes less objective sense.

At least, Ford will keep the V8 in the Stang. Right?

Last edited by rhumb; 6/18/12 at 10:35 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EcoBoost-4 2.3l to replace 3.7l V6?