Ecoboost

Concerns about getting my first mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/21, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concerns about getting my first mustang

Hello, I知 23 and live south California and I love mustangs but I have concerns about getting my first one.

I知 strongly considering getting my first mustang since I have wanted one since I was 10. My plan is getting a 2016 ecoboost just to start since is 4cil and I will be daily driving it to work, college etc.

my one and only concern is that I have only driven FWD cars, I知 im very concern about the mustang being to much for me. I have always wanted one and it would be a shame if I had to sell it because I can稚 handle it.

I don稚 plan to race with the car I just want it to go from point A to point B, but with style..!

my main questions are
is it really that easy to loose control ?
Any tips from someone with a similar situation like me that have never driven RWD?
Any suggestion will help.

thank you I知 advance
Old 10/7/21, 08:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Answers to the specific questions...

1 - Possibly. Depends on the circumstances and conditions of both the car and the road... and the driver, of course. The car is well equipped to NOT get out of control with it's ABS and AdvanceTrak, but nothin's perfect. This applies to all cars, by the way, even front wheel drive puny ones. They all can get out of control, and if this is a concern, you shouldn't be driving, frankly. Learn to drive cars in general, not just front or rear wheel drive ones, and you'll be much better for it! (Secondarily, I sort of recommend a Basic Rider's Course for motorcycles as it teaches MUCH more than the drivers ed stuff does, but that's up to you.)

2 - Not really. Just drive the thing. It'll come naturally soon enough. If needed, just get to a big open parking lot and go stupid. Maybe get permission first, of course.

3 - Nothin' further to suggest. We all have to learn sometime, so the best way is to get out there and give it a go. Maybe recuit someone what has a RWD car if you want, but honestly, they don't much drive that differently when you get down to it. Harder to drift a FWD though.

All things not experienced are 'too much' in many cases. Until they're experienced. Then it's "Oh, I was worried about *that*? Geez..." and you go off into the sunset head high and proud because yeah, you got that. So go get it!
The following users liked this post:
Ponyrookie (10/7/21)
Old 10/7/21, 10:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Rear wheel drive really isn't any harder to drive, or easier to lose control, than front wheel drive . . . as long as you don't drive like an idiot. If you overpower the drive wheels on front wheel drive, you lose steering; if you overpower the drive wheels on rear wheel drive, the rear end swings around. Personally I'd rather have the rear end wiggle around a bit, than lose steering.

You can drive RWD the same as FWD, there really isn't any noticeable difference under normal circumstances . . . again, as long as you don't just press the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there; which would get you in trouble with FWD too.

Just go easy on the gas, don't let anybody "egg you on" into showing off and doing stupid things, and you'll be fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
Ponyrookie (10/8/21), shaneyusa (8/23/22)
Old 10/7/21, 06:39 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,627 Posts
As stated before it's all about the right foot. Control that and all is good. I agree with going somewhere IE a big parking lot (with permission of course) and letting her loose so you can have that seat of the pants feel and experience. Also same thing for rain and snow if you get it there. Buy it and you'll be hooked forever!
The following 2 users liked this post by Mustang Freak:
Bert (10/8/21), Ponyrookie (10/8/21)
Old 8/23/22, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't ever be intimidated by a car. Yes, it's like apples and oranges. Handling is totally different for obvious reasons. When the power comes from the rear, going to fast around corners or accelerating quickly can make you fishtails and lose control. This is why you need to be 100% comfortable with the car before you take it out on the highways. Learn how it handles. Purposely try to fishtail so you can understand what the car will do when it does happen. Make sure you are in a controlled area and yo will not hit anything when you are learning. This is the most important thing to learn about driving a rear-wheel drive sports car. You need to understand the handling, and the power and know how it feels when it starts to lose control. You need to get accustomed to it so you do not freak out. The biggest thing is knowing the car. You will be so happy once you get comfortable with it. Driving your dream car will give you that push to want to learn and understand it. Good luck
Old 8/23/22, 06:02 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
I think you will be fine. So Cal does not get ice, So Cal gets limited rain. Those are the toughest things that will cause issues besides the person behind the steering wheel.

If you get an eco-boost it will have power and it requires respect. But all you need to do is not drive it over your skill level. Trying to show off is what gets most people in trouble. Respect the car you are driving and it's power, that applies to any car you go with.
Old 10/7/22, 10:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I kind of had the same concern with my Mustang purchase, but AdvanceTrak and ABS turned to be pretty good and preventing you from getting in trouble. Its fun to drive but not really difficult
Old 1/23/23, 05:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought a 2017 EcoBoost convertible for my wife, the 2003 Thunderbird was getting too old.
Now I have driven road race cars on race tracks so I do know how to drive even at 77.
The Mustang has 67,000 miles and the tires are a name brand BUT 5 years old and have lots of tread on them, BUT they are OLD and dry. there is very little traction I can make the rear tires spin out any time when the traction control is off and even when is on when going thru a turn and getting on the gas too much.

My advice. be sure you have GOOD grip tires. and know what to do when the car spins out.

Last edited by TheFlash; 1/24/23 at 12:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheFlash:
Bert (1/24/23), m05fastbackGT (1/24/23)
Old 1/24/23, 02:39 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,607 Posts
Thanks for providing some very important info on the condition of 5-year-old tires, despite still having lots of tread on them...I couldn't agree more that even if the tires have low mileage with lots of treads left on them... If they become either hard or dry as you just brought up? they can no longer provide enough traction to be considered safe to be driven, and should therefore be replaced ASAP... Hopefully, others will also find this info very helpful as well... In the meantime, welcome aboard
The following users liked this post:
Bert (1/24/23)
Old 1/25/23, 07:47 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 953 Likes on 581 Posts
An older thread but good info nonetheless.