Ecoboost

Attention EcoBoost Owners, Factory Backed Tuning on the Way

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/14, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Attention EcoBoost Owners, Factory Backed Tuning on the Way

Ford Racing is going to release a tuner for you Ecoboost owners. Check the link below.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-rac...g-in-2015.html
Old 12/23/14, 07:12 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow this is good news for ecoboost owners, if the 2.0L in the Focus ST got an amazing 90lbft increase then the 2.3 might see even more gains, and while retaining the factory warranty? Craziness!

Wonder if they'll be releasing factory-warrantied tunes for the other engines as well hmmm.
Old 12/23/14, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They will for the 5.0, but they'll probably ignore the V6.
Old 12/23/14, 09:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welp, I guess I'll be waiting for my tune. Factory Warranty intact and potentially great gains? Sold.
Old 12/23/14, 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GT40 2
They will for the 5.0, but they'll probably ignore the V6.
If someone wanted to buy "performance" , buying the V6 model should not be on their priority list.
Old 12/24/14, 04:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
If someone wanted to buy "performance" , buying the V6 model should not be on their priority list.
Why would you say that? The V6 is 300 hp and 280lb ft of torque. You can get the 051A pkg and a 3.55 rear axle ratio. How is that not performance? Plus there is already a V6 CAT back exhaust and CAI which would give you more HP.. And there will be much more offered- Roush is only the first to come out in a big way for the V6. How is that not performance? My 87 GT AND 89 LX 5.0 only had 225hp stock and they were top of the line in their day. No one ever mistook to Fox body's for a non performance vehicle . So since I am getting a V6 and although I'm no longer going to be racing around or tacking it to the track, I would hardly put the car in a non performance category with the likes of oh say a Accord. Let's not be derisive towards any Mustang owners. They are all performance cars.. And they are all Mustangs..
Old 12/24/14, 06:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Sometimes facts are hard to swallow.

225 hp and 3000lbs

Is WAY different than 300hp and 4500lbs

That's how. Power to weight.

The v6 like it or not, is the generic, grocery getter, 16 year old girls car. It's under powered for its weight with the current offerings, and unlike the ecoboost, there isn't going to be a large aftermarket for it. The potential isn't there.

You said it yourself. You aren't "racing around or tacking it to the track" not will any of its buyers.

The technology is there to put the ecoboost and 5.0 in the low 11's with $1500 in parts.

No performace pack from ford for the v6 either, that's ford telling buyers something. Read between the lines.

Unless ford drops the 2.3 and puts a 2.5 v6 ecoboost or the 3.5 Eco in the mustang. (I would have been waiting at the dealer to order it! )it's going to remain the lowend, nonperformance based, secretary mustang.

A cat back was 5 hp on the Dyno on my gt. A intake is worth ZERO without a tune, and it will make the car run like crap, unless it's a "no tune" intake, with the restrictor inside to kill the airflow back to stock levels, so it looks cool, but does nothing. Even then, the jlt intake on my 15 gt was worth 14hp on the Dyno. So your 300 -15% driveline loss gets you 255 + 20 . 275 maybe 280. Maybe ford will do a tuner, maybe. Will others?

And a accord with its weight and power, will give the v6 mustang a run. Even the ecoboost, but a $600 tuner and the ecoboost is giving the stock gt a butt whippen. V6 isn't anywhere to be found.

Don't be mad, you bought the car you wanted. Be happy!

You also stated "so much more to be offered" as in what? A blower that 6 people will buy? And still not touch a stock gt.

There will be no intake manifolds for that motor. One or two companies might make headers, none of the big names though. And the price will be more than that of the 5.0 stuff.

But by all means, you should stand up for v6 owners, order the roush exhaust and a intake today, haven them parts waiting for your car, when you pick up the car, offer it to vortech to make a blower kit for it, roots guys will not touch it, I promise you that, pull the heads off and have them ported, send the intake to extrude hone. Have a local shop build you a set of headers.

Or most likely, as ford intended, you will just drive it as is. No harm in that. It's a great driving car. Comfortable too. The performace car buyers are already buying parts, developing parts, making serious power and busting numbers at the track.

Merry Christmas !
Old 12/24/14, 10:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stam616
Why would you say that? The V6 is 300 hp and 280lb ft of torque. You can get the 051A pkg and a 3.55 rear axle ratio. How is that not performance? Plus there is already a V6 CAT back exhaust and CAI which would give you more HP.. And there will be much more offered- Roush is only the first to come out in a big way for the V6. How is that not performance? My 87 GT AND 89 LX 5.0 only had 225hp stock and they were top of the line in their day. No one ever mistook to Fox body's for a non performance vehicle . So since I am getting a V6 and although I'm no longer going to be racing around or tacking it to the track, I would hardly put the car in a non performance category with the likes of oh say a Accord. Let's not be derisive towards any Mustang owners. They are all performance cars.. And they are all Mustangs..
Hey don't sweat it Stam. You know there's always going to be those guys on these forums that want to tell you that a V6 Mustang can't be considered a performance car. They're just trolling you for an argument man, don't waste your time. We both know that trying to say that a V6 that performs on the same level as a GT from just 4 years ago is not a "performance" car is the same thing as saying that every Mustang GT from 1965 to 2011 is also not a "peformance" car. I've owned four Mustangs, two V8's and two V6's and I can assure you that the 3.7 V6 is easily a good performer. But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know from driving the car. We both know the car is a good performing car and with the addition of a procharger no it will not touch a stock GT, because the GT will be in the rear view mirror lol. You would then be talking about a V6 with 40 more hp than a GT in a lighter car. If they don't want to know, it's their own problem; they've probably never even driven the 3.7. Don't get sucked into a troll trap by a couple of guys who just want to try and make you feel bad about the car you have. Times change, it doesn't take a V8 to get good performance anymore. If they want to live in that past that's their choice. Personally I'm going to drive my "teenage girl" car everyday and enjoy it. Who cares what the trolls have to say about it.

PS, by the way as of right now you can get headers for the S197 V6 from BBK, Borla, and MAC. There are 9 different variations from American Muscle alone of both shorty and long tube headers. So much for the "no big names" claim ay? lol I guess BBK and Borla are just little start up companies that nobody ever heard of. Don't sweat it, they'll come out with stuff for the S550 too. And no they are not more expensive than the GT headers, see for yourself at the link below. Don't pay that guy any attention bro. I didn't see a single correct claim in that whole post lol.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/1013-m...y-headers.html

Oh, one last thing Stamm

225 hp and 3000lbs

Is WAY different than 300hp and 4500lbs

The base V6 fastback with a manual weighs in at 3526 lbs, an increase of 30 lbs over the 2014 model. With an automatic, the curb weight is 3530 lbs, a 12-lb increase.
I'm have no idea where Anthony got 4500 lbs from. But hey, he was only off by a thousand pounds lmao. Maybe he thought you bought a Challenger.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...coboost-v6-gt/

An 89 LX 5.0 has a curb weight of 3111 pounds which makes your current car about 400 pounds heavier not 1500 pounds heavier.

Last edited by 3point7; 12/24/14 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12/24/14, 10:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by stam616
First off, yes 225 on the 87 gt was awesome. But you can't say just bc the b6 now has 75 more hp that it's performance. Mainly bc the 87 was 2900 lbs. and bc it was 1987. Those were big number for that time. 300 today is not. The Acura RLX has 300 hp. It's not a performance car.

Second, last gens v6 did indeed have a pretty solid aftermarket. This gen it will not. Why? Bc companies will be spending r&d on the Eco and GT. The v6 motor has been around since 2011 so minimal tweaking would be needed to produce parts. Why is there only a handful out then? Imo it's bc they aren't coming.

Ford diversified their playbook. I think in 2011 when the 5.0 came back and the v6 jumped to 305hp, ford inadvertently alienated the market that had been buying mustangs for 7 yrs prior. The folks that wanted the "slow" v6 (mostly women) had no car being marketed toward them.

So this gen, they went back with 3 models to cater to the 5.0 crowd. The last gen v6 crowd. And the pre-2011 v6 crowd. Sure the power didn't change (5hp). But the perception did. Especially when they pulled any performance options from the v6's list.

That being said. A mustang is a mustang. There is nothing to defend or be upset about. You own one! That's the dream. Plus you don't race or track. So you bought the model that suits you best. But that doesn't mean it's performance.
Old 12/24/14, 11:00 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
Hey don't sweat it Stam. You know there's always going to be those guys on these forums that want to tell you that a V6 Mustang can't be considered a performance car. They're just trolling you for an argument man, don't waste your time. We both know that trying to say that a V6 that performs on the same level as a GT from just 4 years ago is not a "performance" car is the same thing as saying that every Mustang GT from 1965 to 2011 is also not a "peformance" car. I've owned four Mustangs, two V8's and two V6's and I can assure you that the 3.7 V6 is easily a good performer. But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know from driving the car. We both know the car is a good performing car and with the addition of a procharger no it will not touch a stock GT, because the GT will be in the rear view mirror lol. You would then be talking about a V6 with 40 more hp than a GT in a lighter car. If they don't want to know, it's their own problem; they've probably never even driven the 3.7. Don't get sucked into a troll trap by a couple of guys who just want to try and make you feel bad about the car you have. Times change, it doesn't take a V8 to get good performance anymore. If they want to live in that past that's their choice. Personally I'm going to drive my "teenage girl" car everyday and enjoy it. Who cares what the trolls have to say about it.
Great point. The v6 can definitely out perform a 2010 gt. So how is it not a performance car when the 2010 gt was. On paper, you're right. But as far as mind set and perception, it's wrong. In 2014, to our current standards, I personal wouldn't consider a 2005 GT a performance car. It was. But now it's not. The 2015 v6 sure is quick and what not. And yes it's almost identical to the 2011 v6. But the ecoboost bumps it down a notch imo.

I believe ford intended it for people that previously would have looked at the v6 are now looking at the Eco. People that wouldn't have considered a mustang at all now can look at the v6.

So again, on paper it's fast and performance oriented. But in the current segment and line up, it is not.

I just realized that this point is moot. This guy ordered a 2015 mustang. Who cares what motor is in it!? Lol. Back on topic.
Old 12/24/14, 11:21 AM

I'm not going to dig into this argument much more than I've made in other threads.

But, to say the V6 is overweight and underpowered is a misnomer. While, the person who wrote that above made a few valid points, many of the assumptions and language used were purposefully insulting. It's hard to respect an opinion based on insults (while at the same being condescending telling one to "be happy.")

I've said this many times: We're lucky to live in a time the last several years when there isn't a bad choice in engine for a Mustang. All have benefits/drawbacks, it's up to you to pick the one that makes the most sense. For me that was the EB.
Old 12/24/14, 11:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
Great point. The v6 can definitely out perform a 2010 gt. So how is it not a performance car when the 2010 gt was. On paper, you're right. But as far as mind set and perception, it's wrong.
Ah yes, but who's mind set? Who's perception?

This is the mistake that often gets made when someone says "This car is not a performance car because I personally don't consider it a performance car."

What about the people that do? In my mind the V6 Mustang and now the ecoboost are indeed performance cars. They are obviously not on the same level of performance as a Mustang GT (in stock trim) just as the GT is not on the same performance level as the Corvette. Is the Mustang GT then not a performance car since it can't out perform a Corvette?

It is mistake to say that because performance car A is not on the same level as performance car B that we must then say that car A is in fact not a performance car. And Jeffery is right, there is certainly no need to personally insult Stam because he picked the V6. That is just trolling. I know you didn't do that, I'm just pointing out the person that did.

In the end what I'm saying is that the V6 Mustang and Ecoboost Mustang are still faster and handle better than the vast majority of the cars on the road by comparison in an age when your average vehicle on the roads has a 0 to 60 time of 8 to 9 seconds. Just because they don't run as fast as the GT does not by default make them "not performance" cars.

Stam got himself a great car with a performance level that is nothing to dismiss out out hand. I don't think its cool to insult him over it or to try and convince him that somehow its not a performance car. I've driven my share of performance oriented cars over the last 25 years and the V6 and Ecoboost Mustang easily qualify.
Old 12/24/14, 12:04 PM

What about the people that do? In my mind the V6 Mustang and now the ecoboost are indeed performance cars. They are obviously not on the same level of performance as a Mustang GT (in stock trim) just as the GT is not on the same performance level as the Corvette. Is the Mustang GT then not a performance car since it can't out perform a Corvette?

It is mistake to say that because performance car A is not on the same level as performance car B that we must then say that car A is in fact not a performance car. And Jeffery is right, there is certainly no need to personally insult Stam because he picked the V6. That is just trolling. I know you didn't do that, I'm just pointing out the person that did.

In the end what I'm saying is that the V6 Mustang and Ecoboost Mustang are still faster and handle better than the vast majority of the cars on the road by comparison in an age when your average vehicle on the roads has a 0 to 60 time of 8 to 9 seconds. Just because they don't run as fast as the GT does not by default make them "not performance" cars.
This completely.
Old 12/24/14, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are they going to make an all wheel drive version next?

Dave
Old 12/24/14, 03:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
Great point. The v6 can definitely out perform a 2010 gt. So how is it not a performance car when the 2010 gt was. On paper, you're right. But as far as mind set and perception, it's wrong. In 2014, to our current standards, I personal wouldn't consider a 2005 GT a performance car. It was. But now it's not. The 2015 v6 sure is quick and what not. And yes it's almost identical to the 2011 v6. But the ecoboost bumps it down a notch imo.

I believe ford intended it for people that previously would have looked at the v6 are now looking at the Eco. People that wouldn't have considered a mustang at all now can look at the v6.

So again, on paper it's fast and performance oriented. But in the current segment and line up, it is not.

I just realized that this point is moot. This guy ordered a 2015 mustang. Who cares what motor is in it!? Lol. Back on topic.
Its all relative to the time of when the car is sold also, by that comparison, I could say today's Toyota Corrola is a performance car , just because its faster then a V8 mustang from 1967. just as a stock fox body stang around 1980s with something like 225 hp was a performance car, while other normal cars were around 100-120hp. Times change old ferraris are still performance, cars even if a turbo 4 banger can take it on today.

Basically we all know what market is the V6 for, rentals and cheap"money-wise" people who want A) car for point A to point B, with 2 doors and looks
and B) little bet better MPG

Then you have those that buys it, mods it, spends thousands of dollars on catback,tune, wheels,brakes rtc. only to get small HP increase, while they could of in the first place save their money,go for a GT and be better off.
When One points out to this last sentence I wrote, they get upset and start calling people "bashers" and fall back to the first 2 points (A,B) to cover their @ss.

Personally I dont care what people buy, I dont bash cars and people who buy them, but complaining for lack of performance parts on an engine that is not anymore marketed to" performance minded" people, is kind of silly.

the Eco-boost is the "new black" this gen, the V6 is just a place holder for a small market that still gets enough profit for ford.
Old 12/24/14, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh thanks for that "insightful" post hyper. Good stuff.

By the way.

1967 Ford Mustang (V8) 0-60 mph 7.3 Quarter mile 15.4

2014 Toyota Corolla LE Eco 0-60 mph 9.4 Quarter Mile 17.1

2014 Toyota Corolla L (CVT) 0-60 mph 9.1

Even the famed Corolla XRS didn't get there.

2010 Toyota Corolla XRS (2.4L) 0-60 mph 7.4 Quarter mile 16.1

Close though.

Yes very insightful post, thanks so much. Have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12/24/14, 03:42 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Ford will phase out the v6. The fact it doesn't come in premium trim is a hint. I've said it before you won't regret getting a GT but you might regret a v6.
Old 12/24/14, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh thanks for that "insightful" post hyper. Good stuff.

By the way.

1967 Ford Mustang (V8) 0-60 mph 7.3 Quarter mile 15.4

2014 Toyota Corolla LE Eco 0-60 mph 9.4 Quarter Mile 17.1

2014 Toyota Corolla L (CVT) 0-60 mph 9.1

Even the famed Corolla XRS didn't get there.

2010 Toyota Corolla XRS (2.4L) 0-60 mph 7.4 Quarter mile 16.1

Close though.

Yes very insightful post, thanks so much. Have a Merry Christmas.
oh you want real specifics, then lets replace the Corolla with Accord.
Will make my statement little more credible with "super dooper accurate numbers"
Old 12/24/14, 04:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
oh you want real specifics, then lets replace the Corolla with Accord.
Will make my statement little more credible with "super dooper accurate numbers"
Oh no thank you Hyper. I'm going to leave all of that really important work to you so that you can impress us with your "vast" knowledge about what qualifies as a performance car and what doesn't. It makes for great reading.

Besides I really don't feel like taking a trip to trollapalooza today, thanks anyway. Hope you have a great holiday.
Old 12/24/14, 05:02 PM

Tune side effects

Still waiting for my ecoboost to be delivered. Been sitting on a train car for past 4 days. Last mustang was 1967 fastback anyway wonder what you guys think/know about effect of the upcoming ford tune on emissions. Would the tune cause state inspection failure? What do you think?

Quick Reply: Attention EcoBoost Owners, Factory Backed Tuning on the Way