Ecoboost

anyone liking their eco?

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/15, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Three totally different cars. I wouldn't even know where to beguine to compare them. Will I pick up because of what I said? Absolutely.... but bring it. I speak from the heart.[/QUOTE]

Why not beguine at the beguining?

Dave[/QUOTE]
Because the starting line is in 3 parallel universes.
Old 1/9/15, 12:31 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Krohn
I like the notion that if you're wanting a fun to drive, gas-friendly, and versatile vehicle, look towards the Focus ST instead of an EcoBoost Mustang.

My first car was an SVT Focus and it was by far one of the most fun vehicles I've driven. If it had a turbo, I'd probably have bought another one. Well.. idk, I like my current mustang. lol
Of course the Focus now DOES come with a turbo!

Side note, regarding the Focus ST name... My wife and I were watching Top Gear (BBC version) a few days ago, an older episode on Amazon Prime streaming... They were showing the Focus ST and Jeremy Clarkson said, "now the only problem with this is it has the wrong name, would any of the ladies in the audience ever buy this car?"

To which he got a resounding "No!"

The reason why? "ST" means something very different there. Sanitary Towel is what it seems they call what women need to use each month.

For some reason, I find that quite funny that Ford would miss that for that market.
Old 1/9/15, 12:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RunNgun
Dont forget there's also a sense of reverse pride you can take when your Eco is only 1 second behind a vette without tune. Personally I would be kind of embarrassed if my GT could just barely beat a 4 banger, so in that regard the Eco's get a lot of cred. I look forward to getting a 350hp tune out of an Eco, taking it to the strip, waiting for people to smirk at my losses before reminding them that they barely outpaced a car half the price.
The EB is about 1 second behind the GT, isn't it?

I've posted before, the real problem is that as the power has gone up, the tires haven't gotten any bigger. They need to move to a 4WD platform or the higher power level numbers don't mean much.

As for the stock Vette, it does 0-60 in 3.8 seconds, which is closer to 2 seconds faster than an EcoBoost, but still that is just a pissing contest, both are plenty fast.

If you're into numbers, the 2015 Corvette Z06 should impress, at just under 3 seconds. What is more impressive is not the 0-60 times, but the lateral G numbers and the stopping distance, which is crazy impressive.

I'd like to start seeing 60-120 numbers rather than 0-60. 0-60 is played out and has little room for improvement. I suspect there is a MUCH bigger difference between cars in the 60-120 number.
Old 1/9/15, 02:16 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyTexas
The EB is about 1 second behind the GT, isn't it?

I've posted before, the real problem is that as the power has gone up, the tires haven't gotten any bigger. They need to move to a 4WD platform or the higher power level numbers don't mean much.

As for the stock Vette, it does 0-60 in 3.8 seconds, which is closer to 2 seconds faster than an EcoBoost, but still that is just a pissing contest, both are plenty fast.

If you're into numbers, the 2015 Corvette Z06 should impress, at just under 3 seconds. What is more impressive is not the 0-60 times, but the lateral G numbers and the stopping distance, which is crazy impressive.

I'd like to start seeing 60-120 numbers rather than 0-60. 0-60 is played out and has little room for improvement. I suspect there is a MUCH bigger difference between cars in the 60-120 number.
All accurate. I'd throw in the 0-60 times (which as you indicate doesn't always mean much): For the EB, most testers are getting 5.2-5.3. The highest 0-60 I've seen was a 5.6. The GTs are 4.4 - 4.6s or so stock. So, as you indicated the Corvette is a little less than 2 seconds away. The GT is somewhere between a second and a little less than a second away.
Old 1/9/15, 02:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
All accurate. I'd throw in the 0-60 times (which as you indicate doesn't always mean much): For the EB, most testers are getting 5.2-5.3. The highest 0-60 I've seen was a 5.6. The GTs are 4.4 - 4.6s or so stock. So, as you indicated the Corvette is a little less than 2 seconds away. The GT is somewhere between a second and a little less than a second away.
The end result is that all three of these cars make the guys who have to drive Camry's and minivans insane with jealousy. EAT IT SUCKAS!!! lol

Old 1/9/15, 03:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by 3point7
The end result is that all three of these cars make the guys who have to drive Camry's and minivans insane with jealousy. EAT IT SUCKAS!!! lol

Agreed!
Old 1/13/15, 02:01 PM
V6 Member

Ok so I finally took the eco for a test drive, and while great for a 4 cylinder, I just couldnt get over the lack of true V8 sound and punch. I mean I was really impressed with it, but the V8 impresses me more, nuff said, have to get the V8.
Old 1/13/15, 02:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 3point7

While true, you should take a look the Chevy SS. Honestly I have given some consideration to buying one.

Far more practical than a Mustang or Camaro with similar performance. A four door sedan, RWD, and 0-60 in 4.5 seconds.
Old 1/13/15, 02:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
While true, you should take a look the Chevy SS. Honestly I have given some consideration to buying one. Far more practical than a Mustang or Camaro with similar performance. A four door sedan, RWD, and 0-60 in 4.5 seconds.
I'd rather a Charger R/T with the Skat Pack. But it is nice that you can get the SS with a manual...
Old 1/13/15, 05:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I'd rather a Charger R/T with the Skat Pack. But it is nice that you can get the SS with a manual...
True, but the Charger looks more like a sporty car and the SS is more of a stealth car, isn't it?

Is the Charger smaller?

In any case, choice is good!
Old 1/13/15, 05:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
True, but the Charger looks more like a sporty car and the SS is more of a stealth car, isn't it? Is the Charger smaller? In any case, choice is good!
They're about the same size, and I suppose. The SS looks like an Impala. The Charger is, well, a Charger haha
Old 1/14/15, 04:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
True, but the Charger looks more like a sporty car and the SS is more of a stealth car, isn't it?

Is the Charger smaller?

In any case, choice is good!
Charger doesn't look sporty anymore.
Old 1/14/15, 04:31 AM
GT Member

While true, you should take a look the Chevy SS. Honestly I have given some consideration to buying one.

Far more practical than a Mustang or Camaro with similar performance. A four door sedan, RWD, and 0-60 in 4.5 seconds.
My son a VA Trooper, says the Chargers and Chevys don't hold up well in police work, transmissions, brakes and problems with replacement parts, the car's chassis is Aussie Holden. He mentions the new Taurus is earning high marks amongst Troopers even with NA V-6 power. He mentions the next batch will be EB 365 HP V-6's, look out!

He does mention the Chevys and Dodge go like hell, no BOSS catcher though. Both my Trooper sons are blown away by the BOSS'S performance!

Last edited by BOSS MAN 13; 1/14/15 at 04:35 AM.
Old 1/22/15, 10:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
So thinking of the EB motors and what they may bring to the table some day. It kind of reminds me of the Cosworth 4 cylinder of yesteryear. There hopefully is great potential in this motor or future build that could come from this thing. I mean to say a 1000 horse power Echo boost could be quite insane. I hope they are a bad *** motor the Cosworth 4 was. I use to just love that motor.
A little something for the horse power geeks.
Old 1/22/15, 10:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Think big be big right?

Old 1/30/15, 01:02 PM

Eco boost stock and tuned

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H2dkcQGQBXs
Old 2/26/15, 01:20 PM

I love my 15 EcoBoost w/Performance Package. I upgraded to Airaid CAI, Borla exhaust, and Bama 93 Tune. Turned it from ok to awesome performance. And I can still use it as my DD and get decent MPG. I've owned mostly V8 cars, and a 98 Eclipse GST (4cyl turbo), so have a basis for comparison. This powerplant has a lot of potential left untapped by Ford.
Old 3/9/15, 12:32 PM

I just bought a 2015 black/black 2.3 PP premium and love it. My previous Mustang was a 2012 GT premium brembo package. Its a great car with or without a v8.
Old 3/9/15, 06:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
or you could get a Focus ST

More practical as a DD and less $.
I traded my Focus ST daily driver for an Ecoboost Premium with the Performance Package for my new daily driver.

There is no down side to the Ecoboost compared to the ST. The mileage on my commute is the same, the Mustang is more comfortable, rides better, it's quieter going down the road and the interior is a much nicer place to spend time. The Ecoboost stock is slightly faster than the ST stock but with the tune I have it is dramatically quicker even compared to the tune I had on the ST.

The ST comparably equipped to my Mustang is about is a little less than $3k cheaper but the added cost is well worth it.
Old 3/10/15, 06:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I highly doubt there will be anyone that buys one that does not like it and if they do dislike they will not tell us. That would just be silly

Quick Reply: anyone liking their eco?