Ecoboost

anyone liking their eco?

Old 1/2/15, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
More likely, we can't tell exactly what your asking. I like mine and it's basically a DD (though I work from home). As far as high value upgrades, do you mean from the factory or aftermarket?

Thanks Jeff, more like aftermarket. I have researched that is quite easy to boost and or upgrade the intake to achieve impressive torque.
Old 1/2/15, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
I've (mostly) always had V8's. But, the Turbo is a lot of fun around town - and once the tuners and aftermarket fully catch-up there's going to be some amazing numbers. Heck, with just a tune you can get to the 12's. I think it's Livernois that already had the EB in the 11s with very minor things done to it.

I wasn't too worried about the price difference between a V8 and a EB. I could have gotten either, but the EB is a better bang for the buck long-term IMO. I'm not going to get hung up on V8 vs non V8.

As far as sound, I am never going to get a car simply because it sounds good, but I do love a V8 rumble. My '04 Mach 1 with full Borla cat-back sounded the best of any car I had. I understand that my EB won't sound that way and would rather keep it on the quiet side, until I can hear something in person. The FR-Touring Borla Catbacks sound good in videos, but I need to hear it in person first.

There is definitely going to be an EB somewhere that sooner or later is going to surprise a GT. It just won't sound like that V8 - but who cares? A lot of supercars don't sound like that either.

(Side note, the whole V8 or nothing crowd has always amused me, especially when they've bought an Automatic GT. Not that an auto is bad; it's not. Simply the fact they're all for choices when it fits their ideals and will defend the choice when others call them on it. Pick that car that works for you that you'll enjoy long-term: V6, V8, or EB; Stick or Auto).
Thanks for the feedback! I currently have the Boss 302 and that more than covers the sound itch, but the EB just seems like a much better DD that I can still have a little fun with. I'm glad you're liking yours!
Old 1/2/15, 01:53 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LMS007
Thanks Jeff, more like aftermarket. I have researched that is quite easy to boost and or upgrade the intake to achieve impressive torque.
As far as aftermarket, the biggest bang for the buck by far is going to be a tune, or tune + CAI. People are getting TQ levels in GT territory and pretty good HP gains as well.

From what I've seen exhaust isn't adding much performance, but simply changing the tone/sound. The one exception I've seen are those that are going to a single outlet with a 3in tube. I don't think the gains have been massive, but they've supposedly gotten something from them.

The other two enhancements are I've seen people discuss quiet a bit are a BOV and catch-can. I'm not convinced the BOV is adding much more than the "cool sound" or adding any performance (no one has shown me a dyno) and the catch-can is mainly a maintenance/longevity enhancement.

As far as other performance enhancements, because I got the PP Ive decided against different wheels/tires and against changing the suspension for now. Because it will be my primary car, I am very happy where it was at in Stock PP form.
Old 1/2/15, 02:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
The V6 just sounds so much better than the EB, to me at least. I'm very open when it comes to cars - I love everything, imports, muscle, classics, trucks, etc...but the Ford 4-cylinder engines just do not have a good exhaust note to me. Evo's, Subies, Abarth Fiats, VWs...all have good sounding turbo-4s (yes the Subie is a Flat-4, but still). All the exhausts I've heard for the Ford 2.0/2.3Ts sound too farty and raspy to me.
laserred I encourage you to listen to the exhaust note of the ecoboost. My neighbor across the culdesac from me just bought an ecoboost and I was surprised at the exhaust note when he pulled up into his driveway the other day. I fail to see why Ford thinks they need fake exhaust sound to be played over the stereo. The natural exhaust note is actually quite good. You should go on down to a dealership and have them start one up for you. You might be surprised.

Last edited by 3point7; 1/2/15 at 02:56 PM.
Old 1/2/15, 02:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
laserred I encourage you to listen to the exhaust note of the ecoboost. My neighbor across the culdesac from me just bought and ecoboost and I was surprised at the exhaust note when he pulled up into his driveway the other day. I fail to see why Ford thinks they need fake exhaust sound to be played over the stereo. The natural exhaust note is actually quite good. You should go on down to a dealership and have them start one up for you. You might be surprised.
I haven't heard one in person yet, but the stock note does sound good in videos. I just can't keep stock exhaust on any car haha!
Old 1/2/15, 03:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There are now forums dedicated just to the EB cars, not only the Mustang, but the SHO, F-150, etc. There are some very hot tunes out there if you don't care about your warranty. However, Ford Racing is also about to release a tune for the EB, and it will put out more power then the 5.0, while still maintaining the warranty.

With all that said, I do like my EB. Admittedly, 99% of my driving is high speed on the interstate. So far, after 1000 miles, I can say, it is one of the best I have owned. I have averaged 32-37 mpg cruising at 75. I an anxious to hit Wyoming where the limit on I-25 is now 80 to see what happens to the fuel mileage.

I drive it all year, and this past week, using the toggle for snow/wet it handled everything very well, for a rear wheel car.

If you really want to have fun, put everything in Sport. It becomes a different car. We have gone through the Black Hills and on 22 Dec, through the Badlands National Park (No traffic!!)
And, it handled all the hills and twisties just as I expected.

If you are looking for the V8 sound and feel, you are not going to get it. I am a little disappointed in the way it sounds when first started (blah!) Ford could have done better, but I am sure they were responding to the Euro sound/noise laws which are very strict.

I would suggest you find one at a dealer and take it for a test drive. Try and drive it the way you normally would, on a day to day basis and see if you can live without the V8 exhaust note. Also, use the Sport mode, if an automatic, when in the city in traffic. Response is greatly improved and I use it any time I am in the city. Overall, I am very happy with it.
Old 1/2/15, 05:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I am enjoying my Eco Premium as my daily driver. To be honest, driving the Eco puts a grin on my face just as much as my 13 Boss 302 and 09 Shelby GT500 does. I have always wanted to drive a Mustang everyday and the Eco now makes that a reality because of its good gas mileage and decent horsepower.
Old 1/2/15, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by pa93cobra
I am enjoying my Eco Premium as my daily driver. To be honest, driving the Eco puts a grin on my face just as much as my 13 Boss 302 and 09 Shelby GT500 does. I have always wanted to drive a Mustang everyday and the Eco now makes that a reality because of its good gas mileage and decent horsepower.
I'm sorry... I really have nothing against the ECO but stories like this make me cry

You take a 2015 ECO vs a 2013 Boss 302 vs 2009 GT500 and you say they both make you feel the same, and I'm going to tell you to go to see a psychologist

Three totally different cars. I wouldn't even know where to beguine to compare them. Will I pick up because of what I said? Absolutely.... but bring it. I speak from the heart.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 1/2/15 at 11:38 PM.
Old 1/2/15, 11:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
However, Ford Racing is also about to release a tune for the EB, and it will put out more power then the 5.0, while still maintaining the warranty.
Lol what? FR tune will not add more power then what typical other tuner will pull, FR has to keep is in a very safe zone for themselves as they want no damage and maintain your warranty, just compare tunes for the 5.0 or the V6 by ford, and compare it with other tuners. It will not be in 5.0 power territory.
Old 1/3/15, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was able to drive both a 2015 GT and an EcoBoost in the same driving conditions. Yes, the GT exhaust does have a louder low frequency tone. And the GT power to weight ratio is about 30% higher. So you do get a higher G-force accelerating to Freeway speed. At a constant highway speed, the EcoBoost was significantly quieter. The EcoBoost did cut down the higher engine frequencies using sound cancellation. Both vehicles had Shaker Pro and playing the same CD selection, the music was 'better' in the EcoBoost because there was less engine noise in the cabin.
The majority of my driving will be on long distance Interstate. I ordered the EcoBoost, because both vehicles had more than enough acceleration, the EcoBoost seemed to be more 'balanced' on bumpy curves (less weight/front-back ratio?), the new GT got only about 70% the mpg of the new EcoBoost (at constant highway speed), the mpg's were close in 'city' driving' (Turbo boost really dropped mpg), and the lower cost of the EcoBoost broke down to effectively giving me an extra 60,000 'free' miles.
I have nothing against the GT (I am trading in my 2010 GT), but the EcoBoost better fits my lifestyle.
The following users liked this post:
Willieo (2/22/17)
Old 1/3/15, 08:20 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by tsunami
I was able to drive both a 2015 GT and an EcoBoost in the same driving conditions. Yes, the GT exhaust does have a louder low frequency tone. And the GT power to weight ratio is about 30% higher. So you do get a higher G-force accelerating to Freeway speed. At a constant highway speed, the EcoBoost was significantly quieter. The EcoBoost did cut down the higher engine frequencies using sound cancellation. Both vehicles had Shaker Pro and playing the same CD selection, the music was 'better' in the EcoBoost because there was less engine noise in the cabin. The majority of my driving will be on long distance Interstate. I ordered the EcoBoost, because both vehicles had more than enough acceleration, the EcoBoost seemed to be more 'balanced' on bumpy curves (less weight/front-back ratio?), the new GT got only about 70% the mpg of the new EcoBoost (at constant highway speed), the mpg's were close in 'city' driving' (Turbo boost really dropped mpg), and the lower cost of the EcoBoost broke down to effectively giving me an extra 60,000 'free' miles. I have nothing against the GT (I am trading in my 2010 GT), but the EcoBoost better fits my lifestyle.
Good post

You clearly stated your reasons for choosing the Ecoboost for yourself
Old 1/3/15, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Smile

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I'm sorry... I really have nothing against the ECO but stories like this make me cry

You take a 2015 ECO vs a 2013 Boss 302 vs 2009 GT500 and you say they both make you feel the same, and I'm going to tell you to go to see a psychologist

Three totally different cars. I wouldn't even know where to beguine to compare them. Will I pick up because of what I said? Absolutely.... but bring it. I speak from the heart.
5.MONSTER..I certainly appreciate your point of view and I never meant to directly "compare" the three Mustangs. My goal was to state that the Boss and the Shelby are awesome cars to drive, but not practible as a DD. The Eco is my first opportunity to have a DD Mustang that provides good gas mileage along with decent performance.

I can guarantee the Eco will never replace the Boss or Shelby.
Old 1/4/15, 07:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tsunami
I was able to drive both a 2015 GT and an EcoBoost in the same driving conditions. Yes, the GT exhaust does have a louder low frequency tone. And the GT power to weight ratio is about 30% higher. So you do get a higher G-force accelerating to Freeway speed. At a constant highway speed, the EcoBoost was significantly quieter. The EcoBoost did cut down the higher engine frequencies using sound cancellation. Both vehicles had Shaker Pro and playing the same CD selection, the music was 'better' in the EcoBoost because there was less engine noise in the cabin. The majority of my driving will be on long distance Interstate. I ordered the EcoBoost, because both vehicles had more than enough acceleration, the EcoBoost seemed to be more 'balanced' on bumpy curves (less weight/front-back ratio?), the new GT got only about 70% the mpg of the new EcoBoost (at constant highway speed), the mpg's were close in 'city' driving' (Turbo boost really dropped mpg), and the lower cost of the EcoBoost broke down to effectively giving me an extra 60,000 'free' miles. I have nothing against the GT (I am trading in my 2010 GT), but the EcoBoost better fits my lifestyle.
Great comparo. Can't wait to drive the EB now...
Old 1/4/15, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by pa93cobra
5.MONSTER..I certainly appreciate your point of view and I never meant to directly "compare" the three Mustangs. My goal was to state that the Boss and the Shelby are awesome cars to drive, but not practible as a DD. The Eco is my first opportunity to have a DD Mustang that provides good gas mileage along with decent performance.

I can guarantee the Eco will never replace the Boss or Shelby.
Hey pa93cobra, I understand what you're trying to say now, and I see your point. Eco is a good deal for the money and the performance potential. But GTs, Bosses and Shelby are in a different class of car altogether, though they have some drawbacks as DD cars.
Old 1/5/15, 02:46 AM
GT Member

Agreed. The anonymity that the internet offers means that people will say things that they ordinarily wouldn't in polite company.
Amen to that...

To that end it is not uncommon on these Mustang forums for GT owners to talk down to the people that opt to buy the V6 or the ecoboost.
I wouldn't... Frankly, I think that it is a mistake for Ford to not offer the Premium package with the V6. Not everyone likes the idea of the EcoBoost, but doesn't need a V8 either. The V6 today is more powerful than the V8s of 15 years ago, it is "enough" for a lot of people.

Do the GT guys feel a little short in the crotch when they get around the GT500 or the Corvette guys? lol
Yes! Frankly, I'd love a Corvette, the new one is beautiful! But it doesn't have a back seat and that is a requirement for me.
Old 1/5/15, 03:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyTexas
Amen to that...

I wouldn't... Frankly, I think that it is a mistake for Ford to not offer the Premium package with the V6. Not everyone likes the idea of the EcoBoost, but doesn't need a V8 either. The V6 today is more powerful than the V8s of 15 years ago, it is "enough" for a lot of people.

Yes! Frankly, I'd love a Corvette, the new one is beautiful! But it doesn't have a back seat and that is a requirement for me.
Thanks FlyTexas. As someone who had a 2006 GT when I drove the new 3.7 V6 I was admittedly very impressed. The car performs every bit as well as my GT did and gets better mpg. I would never try to claim that its performing on the level of the current 5.0 GT but for a daily driver the 3.7 / Ecoboost offer a great performing car that is easy to live with day to day. If I had the money I would have the V6 Mustang for a daily driver and a nice GT for weekend horsing around.

Like you I'm a big fan of the new Corvette. We even toured the Corvette factory not long ago and watched them being built. Personally I really love the dark green color they offer on that car and I wish Ford would offer a nice dark green on the S550. I think it would look great on that body design. The only problem is that every time Ford offers a green Mustang they feel the need to make it some special edition Bullitt car and jack the price up. I think it needs to be offered as a standard color.
Old 1/9/15, 08:03 AM
V6 Member

Dont forget there's also a sense of reverse pride you can take when your Eco is only 1 second behind a vette without tune. Personally I would be kind of embarrassed if my GT could just barely beat a 4 banger, so in that regard the Eco's get a lot of cred. I look forward to getting a 350hp tune out of an Eco, taking it to the strip, waiting for people to smirk at my losses before reminding them that they barely outpaced a car half the price.
Old 1/9/15, 08:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Good post

You clearly stated your reasons for choosing the Ecoboost for yourself
+1 !
Old 1/9/15, 09:38 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a V8 guy, but that's my demon to wrestle. I'm just glad there is a mustang for you non-V8 guys to buy!
Old 1/9/15, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[/QUOTE]Three totally different cars. I wouldn't even know where to beguine to compare them. Will I pick up because of what I said? Absolutely.... but bring it. I speak from the heart.[/QUOTE]

Why not beguine at the beguining?

Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone liking their eco?