Notices
2011 - 2014 GT/CS Special Section for the California Special owners.

2014 GT/CS Uncomfortable Headrests

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/14, 09:57 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GT/CS Uncomfortable Headrests

I've grown a bit annoyed with the headrests on my 2014 GT/CS. I am constantly bumping the back of my head into it and have to consciously tilt my head forward to avoid it. It gets very uncomfortable after a while. The way the seat is designed, your upper back rests deep in the seat but the head rest right above juts forward too much.

Has anybody tried either the TMI or MRT headrests in their GT/CS? How much of an improvement are they over the factory headrests? Thanks!
Old 7/14/14, 11:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Don't know if the GT/CS is any different from my 2014 V6, but my wife was not too happy with the head rests at first. We found that if you pull them all the way forward and let them 'snap' back they go as far back as possible. That, along with the rake of the seat back, resolved the problem.
Old 7/15/14, 05:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
When we picked up my '14, the dealer had moved the headrests forward. After experiencing the same discomfort you have, I grabbed it a pulled on it and like tukats said, it moved forward a little further, then when I released, it went back and now the seats are just fine. My '93 Trans Am seats were still more comfortable but the Mustang seats aren't that bad.
Old 7/15/14, 06:06 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
As an aside, the rear seat head rests (at least on my 'Vert) fold down 90 degrees and provide much better rear vision.

Tom
Old 7/15/14, 07:55 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NacsMXer
I've grown a bit annoyed with the headrests on my 2014 GT/CS. I am constantly bumping the back of my head into it and have to consciously tilt my head forward to avoid it. It gets very uncomfortable after a while. The way the seat is designed, your upper back rests deep in the seat but the head rest right above juts forward too much.

Has anybody tried either the TMI or MRT headrests in their GT/CS? How much of an improvement are they over the factory headrests? Thanks!
Hello NacsMXer,

Welcome to the forum! These members have great pointers. You can always double check with your dealer for any options available.

Originally Posted by tukatz
Don't know if the GT/CS is any different from my 2014 V6, but my wife was not too happy with the head rests at first. We found that if you pull them all the way forward and let them 'snap' back they go as far back as possible. That, along with the rake of the seat back, resolved the problem.
Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
When we picked up my '14, the dealer had moved the headrests forward. After experiencing the same discomfort you have, I grabbed it a pulled on it and like tukatz said, it moved forward a little further, then when I released, it went back and now the seats are just fine. My '93 Trans Am seats were still more comfortable but the Mustang seats aren't that bad.
Thank you for the input, guys! Also, don’t forget, we love to get your opinions and feedback. You can share them at Ford Social.

Deysha
Old 7/15/14, 10:22 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
As an aside, the rear seat head rests (at least on my 'Vert) fold down 90 degrees and provide much better rear vision.

Tom
I really appreciate that feature.
Old 7/15/14, 10:33 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies and welcome. I have tried every headrest height/position possible as well as reclined the seat back further looking for some relief but no dice. I simply want to sit in the seat comfortably and not have to consciously tilt my head forward because the headrest is right there.

I am very interested in the MRT or TMI headrests as they are designed to alleviate the issue with the factory headrests being too obtrusive. However, I think they were originally aimed at the 10'-12' Mustang headrests that were much more obnoxious in how much they jutted forward. The 13'-14' headrests were supposed to be a little better, and they are, but I still find them to poke too far forward for a normal seating position. I guess I can thank thank our government's pesky safety standards for that.

Anybody have experiences with the MRT/TMI headrests? Thanks.

Last edited by NacsMXer; 7/15/14 at 10:34 PM.
Old 8/16/14, 09:24 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is an old post but I saw this on another forum wanting to know a way to fix the headrest. Since it annoys my mother. She hardly drives my mustang. Its either me or my dad. But I found this and thought I'd share it: Please remember the thread I found it on was from 2010.
The headrest is at that bad angle due to Federal rear-end crash requirements. All new cars are supposed to have only one inch clearance between the back of the head and the rest, to reduce whiplash injuries in a rear collision. I don't think it can be adjusted.
Old 8/16/14, 11:46 PM
Cobra Member

As I thought about this I realized it could be a head shape issue. Google 'head shape in profile' and you'll see there are three basic shapes. In one of those shapes the back of the head extends further back. I have no idea why the shapes are like this, but if this is the op's head shape it would explain why he can't find a comfortable position. With his shoulders against the seat back the head rest would be right against the back of his head. DOT obviously doesn't account for those differences in bodies, nor could they. Perhaps they should but out.
Old 8/17/14, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they are adjustable, simply push them back they will ratchet into a more upright position
Old 8/17/14, 04:40 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
[QUOTE=tukatz;6841193]As I thought about this I realized it could be a head shape issue. Google 'head shape in profile' and you'll see there are three basic shapes. In one of those shapes the back of the head extends further back. /QUOTE]

Is the OP's head shaped like this? Because if it is I can see that being a real problem.
Attached Images  

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 8/17/14 at 04:41 AM.
Old 8/17/15, 08:12 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found when they ratcheted back - they were much more comfortable. I find the only problem I have is I am short 5' 4" and my legs are short and I have to have the seat up far enough to use the clutch comfortably. I am closer probably to the steering wheel than safety would say. But I risk it anyway.