Tire and Wheel Tech All the tire and wheel technical information you can think of in one place!

Please Suggest New Tires for 2007 Mustang GT Vert

Old 4/1/15, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Suggest New Tires for 2007 Mustang GT Vert

We bought our 2007 Mustang GT convertible new in January 2007. Love it! It has just under 38,000 miles on it.

It still has the original BF Goodrich G-Force T/A 235/50 ZR18 97 W M+S tires from the dealership. They still have tread but they're pretty old by now. The old age of the tires is a concern. The DOT indicates they were manufactured on the 44th week of 2006. They're over 8 years old.

We live in a town near Sacramento, California. The summers are hot and the winters are relatively mild temperature wise. We usually get winter rains but rarely get any snow here in the valley. This winter has felt like a nice summer in Montana. I wish we would get some more rain this year because we really need it. We don't drive mountain roads except for an occasional trip to Lake Tahoe.

We haven't participated in a drag race yet and don't drive over 80 m.p.h. Although I did get it up to 110 m.p.h. once for fun. But for the most part we almost always drive the speed limit and never race anyone.

We're interested in a tire that will give us a smooth comfortable ride. We've been happy with the BF Goodrich G-Force tires that came with our Mustang. But we don't mind paying more money for a quality tire.

We've bought tires for our other cars for many years at Les Schwab. They've given us good service. But we don't mind shopping elsewhere. We also have a Ford dealership in town.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 4/2/15, 07:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Cooper Zeon RS3-A

That should be a Discount Tire Direct listing.

I would buy those, because I had them in 235/55-17s and loved them. I wish I could get them in 275/40-18s now, or the 285/40-18s for the rear, but alas.

Great tire in the rain and dry, good price, and last a good long while. I didn't find them noisy and I also found them to be a good riding tire too.

For what that's worth. Good luck on your search!
Old 4/2/15, 08:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang_Ed
We bought our 2007 Mustang GT convertible new in January 2007. Love it! It has just under 38,000 miles on it. It still has the original BF Goodrich G-Force T/A 235/50 ZR18 97 W M+S tires from the dealership. They still have tread but they're pretty old by now. The old age of the tires is a concern. The DOT indicates they were manufactured on the 44th week of 2006. They're over 8 years old. We live in a town near Sacramento, California. The summers are hot and the winters are relatively mild temperature wise. We usually get winter rains but rarely get any snow here in the valley. This winter has felt like a nice summer in Montana. I wish we would get some more rain this year because we really need it. We don't drive mountain roads except for an occasional trip to Lake Tahoe. We haven't participated in a drag race yet and don't drive over 80 m.p.h. Although I did get it up to 110 m.p.h. once for fun. But for the most part we almost always drive the speed limit and never race anyone. We're interested in a tire that will give us a smooth comfortable ride. We've been happy with the BF Goodrich G-Force tires that came with our Mustang. But we don't mind paying more money for a quality tire. We've bought tires for our other cars for many years at Les Schwab. They've given us good service. But we don't mind shopping elsewhere. We also have a Ford dealership in town. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Les Schwab is generally good in that area. Check out Anerica's Tires too (same company as Discount Tire). As for replacements, I'd check out the Cooper as mentioned above, or the BFG Comp Sport A/S - I ran these on my V6 and they were a nice compromise of performance and all weather capability, not to mention they were pretty quiet and not too expensive.

PS, you should head out to the Sacramento Cars and Coffee meets...they're in Folsom, usually on the first Sunday of the month.
Old 4/2/15, 08:33 AM
GT Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
As long as the tread is still good on your current tires, and your car is garaged most of the time (which I'm assuming it is), and gets driven regularly, I don't think they need to be replaced. I have a 2006 Hyundai Azera with the original Michelins and about the same mileage as yours. I took it to my local tire dealer (whom I've known for years) a couple of months ago to get some new tires, because they are a little over 8 years old. He actually talked me out of it, saying that because of their condition and how the car was used, they were still fine.
Old 4/2/15, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Houtex, thanks for your reply. I'll look at the Cooper Zeon RS3-A.
Old 4/2/15, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for your suggestions on tires

Originally Posted by laserred38
Les Schwab is generally good in that area. Check out Anerica's Tires too (same company as Discount Tire). As for replacements, I'd check out the Cooper as mentioned above, or the BFG Comp Sport A/S - I ran these on my V6 and they were a nice compromise of performance and all weather capability, not to mention they were pretty quiet and not too expensive.

PS, you should head out to the Sacramento Cars and Coffee meets...they're in Folsom, usually on the first Sunday of the month.
laserred38,

Thanks for your suggestions on tires. They sound like what I'm looking for.

Thanks also for the heads up on the Sacramento Cars and Coffee meets in Folsom. They're not too far down the road. It's fun to get out of town once in a while.
Old 4/2/15, 08:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Cooper Zeon RS3-A

That should be a Discount Tire Direct listing.

I would buy those, because I had them in 235/55-17s and loved them. I wish I could get them in 275/40-18s now, or the 285/40-18s for the rear, but alas.

Great tire in the rain and dry, good price, and last a good long while. I didn't find them noisy and I also found them to be a good riding tire too.

For what that's worth. Good luck on your search!
I have them on several of my vehicles. Love them.. Pepboys has them buy 3 get one free. going to get another set this week.

Last edited by Jazzman442; 4/2/15 at 08:58 AM.
Old 4/2/15, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ZGrand
As long as the tread is still good on your current tires, and your car is garaged most of the time (which I'm assuming it is), and gets driven regularly, I don't think they need to be replaced. I have a 2006 Hyundai Azera with the original Michelins and about the same mileage as yours. I took it to my local tire dealer (whom I've known for years) a couple of months ago to get some new tires, because they are a little over 8 years old. He actually talked me out of it, saying that because of their condition and how the car was used, they were still fine.
ZGrand,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I will check with some trusted tire and mechanic guys about the need for new tires. Our tires still have good tread like your 2006 Hyundai Azera.

Yes, our 2007 Mustang GT has always been garaged and is in good shape. We drive it regularly.

We're very happy we bought our Mustang and wouldn't change a thing about our selection. It's great around town and on the open road. In the warm climate we live in here in California, it's a pleasure to put the top down on sunny days even in the winter.

I'm a taller than my wife but we both can adjust the driver's seat to a good comfortable position with good visibility.