Tire and Wheel Tech All the tire and wheel technical information you can think of in one place!

2020 Ecoboost with HHP - Question on Tires

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/20, 08:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2020 Ecoboost with HHP - Question on Tires

just ordered one of these, but can no longer just use it as a weekend toy, it will be my daily driver....the good thing is, I am only putting about 2500 to 3000 miles a year on my car, if that much. No longer have to drive to the office, work from home every day and don;t really go anywhere except shopping, Drs visits and family events

My question....it comes with summer Pirelli 255/40/19 tires....I am assuming those would be a nightmare in winter/snow. Since I am not into taking corners and curves at high speed (after all I am 62 now!), I am thinking of switching out the summer tires for maybe the Pirelli All Season tires..........are these among the best....also, if I take my car to a place like Discount Tires, will they give me a trade in credit for the summer tires?
Old 12/29/20, 06:16 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
The all season Pirelli's that came on my 2011 Mustang and our 2014 Ford Edge were pure crap. Go to The Tire Rack and read the reviews on the tires they sell. You can pick out the tires you like and buy them from any local tire shop you want.
Old 12/29/20, 06:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,078 Posts
I don't think anyone will give you a trade-in value on the old tires, but you could ask.

I'd suggest you get a set of winter wheels and tires. You can pick up "take off" wheels cheap on E-Bay or Craig's List. Sometimes you can even find wheels with snow tires and the TPMS sensors for cheap money -- I have done this twice for my car, as low as $400 for the complete set. They might not be that cheap since your car is newer, but if you are patient you can probably find a set of wheels and tires for about the same as you would pay for new tires alone.

Then you can easily change them over from summer to winter yourself each year. And save your nice summer wheels and tires for the summer; let the winter wheels take the punishment in the winter.

And then, since you would be getting real "snow tires" I don't think the make/model really matters much. Bridgestone and Michelin have some that are said to be "the best" but others should work fine too.
Old 12/29/20, 08:02 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
I don't think anyone will give you a trade-in value on the old tires, but you could ask.

I'd suggest you get a set of winter wheels and tires. You can pick up "take off" wheels cheap on E-Bay or Craig's List. Sometimes you can even find wheels with snow tires and the TPMS sensors for cheap money -- I have done this twice for my car, as low as $400 for the complete set. They might not be that cheap since your car is newer, but if you are patient you can probably find a set of wheels and tires for about the same as you would pay for new tires alone.

Then you can easily change them over from summer to winter yourself each year. And save your nice summer wheels and tires for the summer; let the winter wheels take the punishment in the winter.

And then, since you would be getting real "snow tires" I don't think the make/model really matters much. Bridgestone and Michelin have some that are said to be "the best" but others should work fine too.
I did that with my '89 GT extra rims bought cheap, weight in the hatch and with new blizzak tires! I was good to go up to about 5" of snow.