Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Whiteline Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/17, 08:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
If you're in SoCal and you're interested in Bilstein, you owe it to yourself to stop by Maximum Motorsports...
Old 6/21/17, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
Still confused heh.

The roads here in Southern California is not any better if not worse than other states. More compliance, more travel is exactly what I'm seeking and was hoping to achieve just that by going back to conventional setup.

Firm, yet good ride quality, as is expected of a performance car - is what I want. We're talking about the Bilstein HD Series B6 Performance, yes? Which lowering springs are you running Kytann, if you don't mind asking? Year of your car?
It's a 2013 GT Manual with Steeda Sports.
The Yellow Bilsteins from American Muscle

PRODUCT
UNIT PRICE
QTY

52050 - Bilstein HD Series Front Strut (05-10 All)
Item #: 52050
$227.00

52051 - Bilstein HD Series Rear Shock (05-14 All)
Item #: 52051
$102.00

50273 - Ford Racing GT500 Style Strut Mount Upgrade (05-14 All)
Item #: 50273
$105.97

Old 6/21/17, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
If you're in SoCal and you're interested in Bilstein, you owe it to yourself to stop by Maximum Motorsports...
I thought about it actually. Even ran a google map for directions - 4, 5 hour drive, give or take. It won't be a one-day trip for sure, I'd have to get a motel or something spend a night or two, wait for installs etc. Sounds fun though.
Old 8/1/17, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kytann
Not really inconsistent.
It's hard to describe in words. I think it's really the difference between high speed impacts and low speed impacts. On paper, it sounds great to have high speed impacts (sharp edged bumps) blow through to the soft settings, but to have low speed impacts (dips in the road) react very stiffly. In practice, it feels alien.
It may just be that it's not what I'm used to at all, so it working differently feels weird. I can't pick out any one thing the car does wrong, in fact it seems to handle very well for it's size and weight. So I am probably just being picky.

Also, keep in mind our Minnesota roads are ****, as frost-heaves do a number on them. So out here we need more compliance than in certain sunnier parts of the country.
Gotta write an update on this.

I swapped out my lightweight 19" wheel/tire combo for a heavier 20" wheel and tire combo. Strictly for looks mind you. And for some reason the suspension feels better.
I think it's because the lighter wheel wouldn't open the spring plates on the shocks as fast, therefore causing the my original underdamped/overdamped feel.
At least, that's my best guess. Usually you want to go lighter on your wheels cause the suspension will work better, but in this case it seems to be the opposite.
Anyway, I feel very satisfied with my Bilsteins now.

Wheel Data is as follows.

Front 46.1 lbs 19" 245/45R19 27.7 Inches Tall Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
Front 56.9 lbs 20" 255/35R20 27 Inches Tall Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
Difference : 10.8 lbs per wheel

Rear 49.5 lbs 19" 275/40R19 27.7 Inches Tall
Rear 58.9 lbs 20" 285/35R20 28 Inches Tall
Difference : 9.6 lbs per wheel
Old 8/2/17, 07:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Do the Bilsteins add an additional 1/4" drop like the Konis? I actually didn't like that about my Koni Yellows, which are once again off the car because I moved to an area where the roads are complete ****. It was too low in the front for my purposes and especially in comparison to the rear springs I was running.
Old 8/2/17, 08:07 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I put Strange adjustable shocks/struts, and Ford K-springs on my car recently. I have the shocks/struts set to the middle setting. The car rides like stock, no joke, doesnt feel lowered at all. Definitely recommend checking these guys out.
Old 8/3/17, 07:10 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by lsxjunkie
Do the Bilsteins add an additional 1/4" drop like the Konis? I actually didn't like that about my Koni Yellows, which are once again off the car because I moved to an area where the roads are complete ****. It was too low in the front for my purposes and especially in comparison to the rear springs I was running.
Shocks/struts will not affect ride height. Springs and potentially mounts/perches do.
Old 8/3/17, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Shocks/struts will not affect ride height. Springs and potentially mounts/perches do.
They will if the lower strut mounting perch is at a different height than stock.
It's actually fairly common on truck replacement shocks to give a slight lift this way.

Originally Posted by lsxjunkie
Not that I know of. Bilstien never advertised anything like that, and if they had I would've been disappointed. I wanted stiffer springs but close to stock height, so that would've been the opposite of what I wanted.

When I switch out the strut assembly before winter I'll try to remember to take some pictures of the two assemblies side by side.
Bilsteins with the GT500 Strut Mounts, and the stock assemblies.