Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Whiteline Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/17, 09:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Whiteline Lowering Springs

It looks the Whiteline came out with their own lowering springs.
https://whitelineperformance.com/for...kit-wsk-frd005

I have yet to find any reviews or impressions but what interests me is the lowering heights. The advertised measurements seem 'ideal' compared to other brands.

STEEDA
Sport/Competition: 1"/1.25"
Ultra-Lite: 1.25"/1.5"

EIBACH
Pro: 1"/ 1.5"
Sportline: 1.3"/2.0"

H&R
Sport: 1"/1.6"
Super Sport: 1.7"/2.4"

The Sport/Pro/Ultralite lineups seem not low enough whereas the Sportline/Supersport lineups seem too low. I always thought inbetween 1.5-2.0 (rear) would be perfect.

Whiteline also states that their springs can be used on stock OEM shocks, I speculate these will provide firm yet soft ride experience.

I plan to combine these with Bilstein HD's and hoping to achieve 'just right' suspension synergy. A good sporty ride but without the racetrack-like harshness.

What are your thoughts Stangers?
Old 4/8/17, 10:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Sounds like a good setup. I miss my Bilsteins from my 00 V6 and 03 GT. My bags ride great, but as far as drop in struts and shocks, Bilsteins have been better to me than Koni.
Old 4/11/17, 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
love my steeda sports with koni strt.t and gt500 mounts for everyday driving
Old 4/12/17, 01:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sad to say but I might be getting old. I'm on a Coilover setup now and it's starting to feel a little stiff. The road conditions especially freeways here in SoCal are so bad. I need a Lexus lol.
Old 4/12/17, 10:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Not to worry. California just passed a 16 cent gas increase tax bringing it to a 60 cents plus tax on every gallon. They say its to fix the roads. Yea right.
Old 4/12/17, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
What are the Whiteline spring rates? Since thy don't require aftermarket dampers I'm guessing they are somewhere between 175-190 lbs front... Do you know? Also, other spring manufactures don't require that you switch dampers, but it's typically a good idea. If you go from a 130lb spring to a 200lb spring the valving in the damper can't control the 35% change in forces properly.

Spring rates make a big difference in harshness. Dampers help too. I do love the performance of my Steeda Sports with Koni Yellows. It can be a bit harsh on rough pavement though.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 4/12/17 at 10:54 AM.
Old 4/12/17, 10:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dusman59
Not to worry. California just passed a 16 cent gas increase tax bringing it to a 60 cents plus tax on every gallon. They say its to fix the roads. Yea right.
Right. They can't account for the billions that the old tax brought in, so by all means let's make it even higher!

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
What are the Whiteline spring rates? Since thy don't require aftermarket dampers I'm guessing they are somewhere between 175-190 lbs front... Do you know? Also, other spring manufactures don't require that you switch dampers, but it's typically a good idea. If you go from a 130lb spring to a 200lb spring the valving in the damper can't control the 35% change in forces properly.

Spring rates make a big difference in harshness. Dampers help too. I do love the performance of my Steeda Sports with Koni Yellows. It can be a bit harsh on rough pavement though.
The stock shocks already couldn't deal with the stock springs, let alone stiffer lowering springs. The harshness of the Konis seemed to never go away unless they were on full soft. I have some heavy duty Konis on my 2005 Escape and my experience is the same as it was on my Mustang. I really wish Bilstein made some dampers for my Escape.
Old 4/12/17, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by dusman59
Is that why the I-5 is always on construction causing all the traffic?? We seriously need more roads down here.

All I know is that these can be mounted on OEM shocks or so they say. I'll probably email for the rates before purchase. But what do you make of the spring heights? They seem rather perfect to me - 35mm/ 45mm.

Originally Posted by laserred38
The harshness of the Konis seemed to never go away unless they were on full soft. I have some heavy duty Konis on my 2005 Escape and my experience is the same as it was on my Mustang. I really wish Bilstein made some dampers for my Escape.
I did hear the Koni yellows are better built quality than oranges but somewhat harsh. Are you referring the same for Bilsteins or are they smoother? What do you like about the Bilsteins better than Knois?
Old 4/12/17, 12:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I had Koni Yellows paired with Steeda Boss 302 springs, and then with H&R Supersport springs. I could never get them adjusted to be comfortable on CA roads. On full soft, the bound was perfect but the rebound always seemed to be jarring, especially on the rear end.

It's not a direct comparison, but I ran Bilstein HDs on my 2000 V6 with Eibach Pro-kit. The bound seemed to always be in perfect harmony with the rebound. Firm, but controlled. Then, on my 2003 GT, I ran Maximum Motorsports Bilstein Sports (specific valving built to MM's specs) with MM's street springs and then eventually had them built into coilovers. Same thing. The ride was never harsh, even when I stiffened up the coilovers.

Other experiences with Bilstein - buddy's 2004 STI with stock Bilsteins and another buddy's 2006 Tacoma with Bilstein HDs. Same story. The ride always feels more controlled and...German...if that makes sense. Which it should, considering they're made in Germany lol
Old 4/12/17, 01:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Laserred38:
Right on with the Bilsteins. No fade and constant dampening even with the desert heat here in AZ. I even have them on my 96Towncar with great results.
Old 4/12/17, 04:27 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
The stock shocks already couldn't deal with the stock springs, let alone stiffer lowering springs. The harshness of the Konis seemed to never go away unless they were on full soft. I have some heavy duty Konis on my 2005 Escape and my experience is the same as it was on my Mustang. I really wish Bilstein made some dampers for my Escape.
One of these years I will try Bilsteins.

Konis are a bit on the stiff side, but god **** do they pay dividends on the track!

Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
All I know is that these can be mounted on OEM shocks or so they say. I'll probably email for the rates before purchase. But what do you make of the spring heights? They seem rather perfect to me - 35mm/ 45mm.
If spring rates are not listed calling them is probably a good idea.

Height is more of a matter of preference. In my opinion 1" front and 1.25" rear was all the car needed, so for me the Steeda Sports made sense. It's really preference based though. I like a little wheel gap.
Old 4/12/17, 05:56 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Is that why the I-5 is always on construction causing all the traffic?? We seriously need more roads down here.

My Eibach pro springs are also compatible with OEM dampers.. However to get the most benefit/performance out of them, it's also recommended to upgrade from OEM to aftermarket dampers that are valved specifically for progressive and linear spring rates..

One of these years I will try Bilsteins.

Konis are a bit on the stiff side, but god **** do they pay dividends on the track!

If spring rates are not listed calling them is probably a good idea.

Height is more of a matter of preference. In my opinion 1" front and 1.25" rear was all the car needed, so for me the Steeda Sports made sense. It's really preference based though. I like a little wheel gap.
Marty, now you guys tell me.. If only I had known about the Bilsteins not being as stiff as the Koni yellow's, I would've purchased the Bilsteins to begin with rather than my Koni yellows
Old 4/12/17, 06:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Rocky, sometimes it's just trial and error. I've been through 4 suspension setups on my car and am just coming up on its 3 year birthday lol

And the 6th set of wheels are on order. I've only done exhaust once though. But, I am thinking about changing it soon, if only to make it a little quieter so I can actually go WOT without attracting every cop within a 5mi radius!
Old 4/12/17, 08:07 PM

Rocky, sometimes it's just trial and error. I've been through 4 suspension setups on my car and am just coming up on its 3 year birthday lol

And the 6th set of wheels are on order. I've only done exhaust once though. But, I am thinking about changing it soon, if only to make it a little quieter so I can actually go WOT without attracting every cop within a 5mi radius!
Patrick, you're definitely not kidding about trial and error after going through 4 suspension setups on your car, then going through 6 different set of wheels on top of that.. All I can say, is you obviously have far more patience and more disposable income to spare than I do that's for sure lol. In the meantime, I'm looking into changing exhausts and debating over either FR500S axle backs or Roush Extreme axle back resonators, as my Magnaflow street exhaust isn't quite loud enough from the outside, but drone at 1500-2000 RPM during highway cruising speeds with the stock catted H still in place.. At any rate, I really don't see myself going through 6 sets of wheels and 4 different suspension setups anytime soon
Old 4/12/17, 08:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had Koni Yellows paired with Steeda Boss 302 springs, and then with H&R Supersport springs. I could never get them adjusted to be comfortable on CA roads. On full soft, the bound was perfect but the rebound always seemed to be jarring, especially on the rear end.

It's not a direct comparison, but I ran Bilstein HDs on my 2000 V6 with Eibach Pro-kit. The bound seemed to always be in perfect harmony with the rebound. Firm, but controlled. Then, on my 2003 GT, I ran Maximum Motorsports Bilstein Sports (specific valving built to MM's specs) with MM's street springs and then eventually had them built into coilovers. Same thing. The ride was never harsh, even when I stiffened up the coilovers.

Other experiences with Bilstein - buddy's 2004 STI with stock Bilsteins and another buddy's 2006 Tacoma with Bilstein HDs. Same story. The ride always feels more controlled and...German...if that makes sense. Which it should, considering they're made in Germany lol
Thanks for kind input! Must get my hands on these Bilsteins... I'm guessing they will have a good synergy with Maximum Motorsports Camber Plates and Bumpsteer kits?

The reason to ask is the travel distance. More wheel gaps the more travels? A bit confused about this, but can't help but to think they are related besides spring rates.
Old 4/12/17, 10:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for kind input! Must get my hands on these Bilsteins... I'm guessing they will have a good synergy with Maximum Motorsports Camber Plates and Bumpsteer kits?The reason to ask is the travel distance. More wheel gaps the more travels? A bit confused about this, but can't help but to think they are related besides spring rates.
Yes they would - in fact, hit up MM. I think they still sell specifically valved Bilsteins direct. And aren't you in SoCal?
Old 4/12/17, 11:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Patrick, you're definitely not kidding about trial and error after going through 4 suspension setups on your car, then going through 6 different set of wheels on top of that.. All I can say, is you obviously have far more patience and more disposable income to spare than I do that's for sure lol. In the meantime, I'm looking into changing exhausts and debating over either FR500S axle backs or Roush Extreme axle back resonators, as my Magnaflow street exhaust isn't quite loud enough from the outside, but drone at 1500-2000 RPM during highway cruising speeds with the stock catted H still in place.. At any rate, I really don't see myself going through 6 sets of wheels and 4 different suspension setups anytime soon
Lol no, I buy stuff used all the time. And sell it for usually the same as I bought it for. I also probably have an angrier wife than you
Old 4/12/17, 11:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes they would - in fact, hit up MM. I think they still sell specifically valved Bilsteins direct. And aren't you in SoCal?
Specifically valved? They are not the same Bilsteins HD's?
Old 4/13/17, 11:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Specifically valved? They are not the same Bilsteins HD's?
They used to sell both - off the shelf ones and their own branded shocks made by Bilstein to their specs. I haven't looked lately so I'm not sure what they're selling these days.
Old 4/13/17, 01:19 PM

Lol no, I buy stuff used all the time. And sell it for usually the same as I bought it for. I also probably have an angrier wife than you
Buying used would seem to make more sense rather than taking a loss on parts you purchased new, especially when going through as many sets as you have Patrick lol. As for having an angrier wife than I do..
All I can say about that is I sure in the heck don't want to find out, that's for sure