Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Wheel question - can these be used?

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/16, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel question - can these be used?

one of my neighbors gave me an old set of KMC hot wheels redline rims he had on a car he sold.

they are kind of ugly, but I was thinking that if I took them somewhere to be restored, they might look nice on the mustang, provided I can talk my wife into letting me put them on the car - I think refinished they would look nice.

they are 18 inch rims, but I have no idea if the size and offset is even correct for the mustang, so my questions are - can these be used on the mustang? would it be worth my time and trouble to have them restored, I took pictures of the specs as seen on the inside of the wheels.

the mustang is a 2014 5.0 GT

the first two pictures are what is on the car now, the rest of the pictures are the KMC rims.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel question - can these be used?-dscn1121.jpg   Wheel question - can these be used?-dscn1122.jpg   Wheel question - can these be used?-dscn1123.jpg   Wheel question - can these be used?-dscn1129.jpg   Wheel question - can these be used?-dscn1124.jpg  

Wheel question - can these be used?-dscn1125.jpg   Wheel question - can these be used?-dscn1126.jpg   Wheel question - can these be used?-dscn1127.jpg  

Last edited by grandpa mustang; 1/30/16 at 04:07 PM.
Old 1/30/16, 04:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
The stock wheels are already too narrow. You'd be dropping down from an 18x8 to 18x7.5, and nothing on the specs lists the offset. Are they 5x114? Even still, I doubt they will fit over the brakes with the offset, just eyeballing it. If you really want to try them, lift your car up and try one on.

Personally, I wouldn't bother...
Old 1/30/16, 06:29 PM

thanks for the input, I didn't know how wide the stock wheels were, I won't use the KMC's if they are narrower then the stock wheels, it wouldn't be worth the trouble and expense to have them cleaned up and to buy tires for them, I'd be better off to buy something that would fit the car better.

it's going to be a long time before that car needs tires, I can shop around and find something that better complements the black paint ...
Old 1/30/16, 07:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by grandpa mustang
thanks for the input, I didn't know how wide the stock wheels were, I won't use the KMC's if they are narrower then the stock wheels, it wouldn't be worth the trouble and expense to have them cleaned up and to buy tires for them, I'd be better off to buy something that would fit the car better.

it's going to be a long time before that car needs tires, I can shop around and find something that better complements the black paint ...
When I got my car, I went with some Niche 19x9.5s that were a little wider and lower offset than stock, just to use up my stock tires. Then when I was ready, I upgraded to 20s and sold the Niches with the stock tires that had some life left.

You could look into some 18x9s that would fit your stock tires perfectly, then go with a +24 offset (which is a standard size and setup for the SN95s), which would push them closer to the fenders. Just an idea
Old 1/30/16, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38

You could look into some 18x9s that would fit your stock tires perfectly, then go with a +24 offset (which is a standard size and setup for the SN95s), which would push them closer to the fenders. Just an idea
that gives me a starting point, I'm so new to this Mustang stuff I honestly have no clue .. I'll look for some wheels that will look good with the color of the car.

I really don't like the wheels that are on it, to me it looks like they did real well on the design and style of the car, but cheaped out on the wheels, It just seems like they would look better chrome or something other then silver paint, my wife thinks they are fine just the way they are, but I'm going to shop around and see if I can find something a little classier.
Old 1/30/16, 09:16 PM

I think something like this would look good on it, and I can use the tires we already have? these have a +25 offset, would that be ok?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/wtd/5410366030.html
Attached Images  

Last edited by grandpa mustang; 1/30/16 at 09:18 PM.
Old 1/30/16, 11:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I think something like this would look good on it, and I can use the tires we already have? these have a +25 offset, would that be ok?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/wtd/5410366030.html
Wow if those are actually flow forged, that's not a bad price. The wheel itself is more import style, but that doesn't bother me if it doesn't bother you lol. Now you just need to message the guy and ask what the bore is. As long as it's 72.6mm or higher (usually 73 max), you're good. Our bore is 72.6mm, so if they're 73, you might want to pick up a set of 72.6-73mm hub centric rings off amazon so the wheel sits centered on the bore.

If you're in Seattle, you might want to look up Five Oh Brian on here, who works at the Bowen Scarff Ford in Kent. I bought my car there. He told me the other day that he's on his 4th set of wheels, so he might have something to sell you
Old 1/31/16, 01:01 AM

Now you just need to message the guy and ask what the bore is. As long as it's 72.6mm or higher (usually 73 max), you're good. Our bore is 72.6mm, so if they're 73, you might want to pick up a set of 72.6-73mm hub centric rings off amazon so the wheel sits centered on the bore.
you lost me on the "Bore" thing, I'm not sure what you're talking about, I'm glad I posted these wheel questions, I'm completely clueless on this stuff. I never had much concern about wheels, or how they fit - we're moving up to this car from an old worn out early 90's Subaru that was ready for the junk yard, and I wasn't concerned much about that old Subaru or how well the wheels fit on it, as long as they rolled down the road and kept me from calling a tow truck, I was good.

I'm down south of Seattle near Oregon City Oregon, I'll write the guy and ask him what the bore is

Last edited by grandpa mustang; 1/31/16 at 01:03 AM.
Old 1/31/16, 01:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

you lost me on the "Bore" thing, I'm not sure what you're talking about, I'm glad I posted these wheel questions, I'm completely clueless on this stuff. I never had much concern about wheels, or how they fit - we're moving up to this car from an old worn out early 90's Subaru that was ready for the junk yard, and I wasn't concerned much about that old Subaru or how well the wheels fit on it, as long as they rolled down the road and kept me from calling a tow truck, I was good.

I'm down south of Seattle near Oregon City Oregon, I'll write the guy and ask him what the bore is
The bore is the size of the center of the hub on the car. Every wheel will have an opening in the center of the wheel to mount to the hub on the car - this size varies by car. Many cars are similar though, so wheel manufacturers will make wheels with some of the more common sizes. If you happened to look for wheels on a Mustang parts site, most of them will have a 72.6mm bore to perfectly fit our cars without the need for a hub centering ring to make up the difference. Let me tell you, on the set of wheels I got to reuse my stock tires, I also got a set of 70.5mm hub centering rings for free - I had seen both 70.5 and 70.6 listed on various sites for our cars, but that 0.1mm made a big difference. The wheel wouldn't go on with the 70.5 hub centering ring. You don't necessarily need the rings, but if you don't run them and the bore on the car is smaller than your wheel's bore opening, you have to perfectly center 5 lugs onto the studs. It's not hard if you have a helper, but you might also get vibration. A pack of 4 of the correct size centering rings is like $10 on Amazon, so it's worth it to just get them.

Looking at the pics, I'd guess that the wheels have a 73mm bore...I guess we'll see
Old 1/31/16, 02:14 AM

The bore is the size of the center of the hub on the car.
ok, now I know what your talking about, I never gave that any thought, and I had no idea you could buy centering rings.

now that you mention it, I just got new wheels for my truck, and that was one of the questions that came up when I asked about the wheels on a facebook truck page - would the wheels fit over the hubs.

I learned something new today, I always thought if you can get the wheel over the hub, you were good - now I'm going to check into those centering rings.
Old 1/31/16, 07:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I would take the KMCs and get a few dollars from a scrap yard then look for a sale or closeout on wheels specific for your ride. You can land a new set of 4 for 400 bucks or less.
Old 1/31/16, 04:26 PM

I just put the KMC's on craigslist, I'll get rid of them and look for something else.