Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

What setting on your koni sport struts?

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/13, 02:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
What setting on your koni sport struts?

I have a lot of threads subscribed to that have recommendations for settings of the highly recommended Koni sport with steeda spring set up. I thought it might be nice to have them in one post to be able to look them up more easily. If you have the Koni sports and steeda springs, what settings do you use for dd and for track days? Thank you in advance.
Old 3/1/13, 12:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish I could tell you. How do you like your set-up so far? I just found the Koni Sports on sale at Tire Rack. They have Eibach Sportlines for $190 a set too. I might pick some up.
Old 3/1/13, 06:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I wish I could tell you. How do you like your set-up so far? I just found the Koni Sports on sale at Tire Rack. They have Eibach Sportlines for $190 a set too. I might pick some up.
I love it. I have used them set to full soft for the first week and they handle great. I've read this is similar in feel to the Koni strt non adjustable in feel. For everyday crispy road driving, I see why so many people pick the strt. I think they would be a great choice. I just set my sports to one turn in front and a half in back. I'll try to move it up incrementally and post my results.

I would recommend the sports as a great choice. I've owned non adjustable tokico, bilstein, and boge. Bilstein was my favorite till I drove my current set up. It's a great match for our cars. I now know why people speak so highly of them on this forum.
Old 3/1/13, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this has nothing to do with this thread, but do you know the difference between the 05-10 and the 11-14 koni sports? i have an 05 and a 12. just wondering

Last edited by YoungSequoia; 3/1/13 at 12:37 PM.
Old 3/1/13, 03:05 PM
GT Member

I plan to install the Koni Yellows in future and will be interested to get feed back on the setup used by various users as well.

Originally Posted by YoungSequoia
this has nothing to do with this thread, but do you know the difference between the 05-10 and the 11-14 koni sports? i have an 05 and a 12. just wondering
Strut mounts are different for both 2005-2010 and 2011+ models. 2011+ users can install the 2005-2010 struts provided that they install 2005-2010 type strut mounts.
Old 3/1/13, 08:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Lol, I went back to full soft for daily driving. The roads around my job at horrible. In the twisty roads around my house, it was a blast. It shook my filings on potholes and uneven pavement. The 1 1/2 front and 1 rear was fun for good roads. I guess this is why you buy adjustable. It is like having a couple of cars. Leave it at full soft for the weeks drive to work and dial it in for the fun weekend drive.
Old 3/8/13, 08:32 PM
V6 Member

I have the Koni Yellows and Steeda Ultralights. I absolutely love the setup. I too would love an experts opinion of how to set them. I have them 1/2 turn in front and 0 turn in rear and it drives great but still has a little initial body roll. If it ever stops raining when I'm off work I look forward to trying more damping. I've got a set of Strano adjustable sways to install when they arrive. I'm excited like a kid at Christmas.
Mike
Old 3/10/13, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

For DD full soft. For Auto X, 1 turn up front and 1/2 turn rear. For road course 2 turns up front and 1 turn rear. Second Best investment ever, MGW is first.
Old 3/10/13, 05:05 PM
V6 Member

I'm at 1.5 front and 1 in rear. Totally different car from all at full soft.
This is a blast!
Old 3/11/13, 12:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I am also switching my struts to Koni Sports. Luckily I found this thread. Does the adjustment **** "click" into different settings or does the **** just freely spin from stop to stop?
Old 3/11/13, 12:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ibnzmonkey
I am also switching my struts to Koni Sports. Luckily I found this thread. Does the adjustment **** "click" into different settings or does the **** just freely spin from stop to stop?
There are no hard stops. It is infinitely adjustable. You just reference the starting point and measure of your half and full turns.
Old 3/17/13, 04:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I keep mine on full soft. better for these roads and for Winter (allows full room for the oil to contract and spread)

I've heard those with freshly installed Konis should keep them on full soft for first 100 miles to break in.

I've also read that settings mean jack sh*t as the valves within the damper's themselves are so inconsistent that one 'turn' on each example may differ.

But your mileage may vary.
Old 3/17/13, 05:32 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JPMotorSport
I keep mine on full soft. better for these roads and for Winter (allows full room for the oil to contract and spread)

I've heard those with freshly installed Konis should keep them on full soft for first 100 miles to break in.

I've also read that settings mean jack sh*t as the valves within the damper's themselves are so inconsistent that one 'turn' on each example may differ.

But your mileage may vary.

^^ LOL I hope not!
Old 3/17/13, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I was thinking about this the other day. About the linearity of the valving and whether it was consistent from damper to damper. Koni is a pretty good company so I think they may be within 5% of each other but I have no real way of telling without a shock dyno.
Old 3/20/13, 09:35 AM
V6 Member

here is one write-up. since these koni yellows are rebound adjustable only, FWIW:
Adjusting the REBOUND Damping Control

Once you have found what you feel to be the best bump setting on all four wheels, you are now ready to proceed with adjusting the rebound. The rebound damping controls the transitional roll (lean) as when entering a turn. It does *not* limit the total amount of roll; it *does* limit how *fast* this total roll angle is achieved. How much the vehicle actually leans is determined by other things such as spring rate, sway bars, roll center, ride heights, etc.

It should be noted that too much rebound on either end of the vehicle will cause an initial loss of lateral acceleration (cornering grip) a that end which will cause the vehicle to oversteer or understeer excessively when entering a turn. Too much rebound control in relation to spring rate will cause a condition known as "jacking down." This is a condition where, after hitting a bump and compressing the spring, the damper does not allow the spring to return to a neutral position before the next bump is encountered.

This repeats with each subsequent bump until the car is actually lowered onto the bump stops. Contact with the bump stops causes a drastic increase in roll stiffness. If this condition occurs on the front, the car will understeer; if it occurs on the rear, the car will oversteer.

STEP 1: With rebound set on full soft and the bump control set from your earlier testing, drive the car one of two laps, paying particular attention to how the car rolls when entering a turn.

STEP 2: Increase rebound damping three sweeps (or 3/4 turn) on all four dampers and drive the car one or two laps. Repeat Step 2 until the car enters the turns smoothly (no drastic attitude changes) and without leaning excessively. An increase in the rebound stiffness beyond this point is unnecessary and may result in a loss of cornering power. Note: As with the bump settings, this point will probably be reached at one end of the car before the other.

However, individual drivers may find it desirable to have a car that assumes an oversteering or understeering attitude when entering a turn. This can be easily "dialed-in" using slightly excessive rebound settings at either end.
link: http://www.bimmerhaus.com/tech/shocktuningTN.html

also, I'm likely going to go with Steeda Sports & Koni Yellows from Sam after i get my car. the nice thing about Konis is you can now get the '11+ version and not have to replace the upper mount. so, the price difference between STRs and yellows is less when you consider you have to also purchase'10 style upper mounts. maybe the STRs are available for '11+ w/o replacing the mount but I haven't seen them yet.

Last edited by y5e06; 3/20/13 at 09:41 AM.
Old 3/20/13, 08:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by y5e06
here is one write-up. since these koni yellows are rebound adjustable only, FWIW:

link: http://www.bimmerhaus.com/tech/shocktuningTN.html

also, I'm likely going to go with Steeda Sports & Koni Yellows from Sam after i get my car. the nice thing about Konis is you can now get the '11+ version and not have to replace the upper mount. so, the price difference between STRs and yellows is less when you consider you have to also purchase'10 style upper mounts. maybe the STRs are available for '11+ w/o replacing the mount but I haven't seen them yet.
The stock mounts are garbage.....
Old 3/20/13, 09:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ross

The stock mounts are garbage.....
In another thread you mentioned the steeda mounts are silent. I've heard mostly good things about them. I went with the ground control plates. Totally quiet and a little more adjustment. Both good choices in my opinion.
Old 3/20/13, 11:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
In another thread you mentioned the steeda mounts are silent. I've heard mostly good things about them. I went with the ground control plates. Totally quiet and a little more adjustment. Both good choices in my opinion.
Do the GC plates come with the rubber isolator? I bought a package with the sways, panhard, yellows, and hd mounts w/ isolators. So it was hard to pass up. I replaced the o-rings and gave them tons of grease.
Old 3/20/13, 11:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ross
Do the GC plates come with the rubber isolator? I bought a package with the sways, panhard, yellows, and hd mounts w/ isolators. So it was hard to pass up. I replaced the o-rings and gave them tons of grease.
Yup. They come with the isolators. They have the torque specs engraved on them too. They give 3 degrees of camber and I degree of caster adjustment. The steeda mounts give you 1 degree of camber only. I got a good deal on the Koni yellows and mounts from hypermotive. I paid too much for most of my steeda stuff but I try to support local business when I can.
Old 3/21/13, 03:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Yup. They come with the isolators. They have the torque specs engraved on them too. They give 3 degrees of camber and I degree of caster adjustment. The steeda mounts give you 1 degree of camber only. I got a good deal on the Koni yellows and mounts from hypermotive. I paid too much for most of my steeda stuff but I try to support local business when I can.
The GC's would be my second choice, since they come with the isolators. The steeda's 1 degree, gives me -2.5 if I need it. Which is plenty.

Quick Reply: What setting on your koni sport struts?